2019 Offseason Thread

Losing Villa and Herrera creates some question marks for NYCFC. So will Atlanta losing Almirón, RBNY losing Adams and hoping BWP has another good year in him, Toronto figuring out how to rebuild around the Bradley and Altidore contracts, LAFC trying to shore up its back two lines, and so on.

We've got the core of our squad back, a smart coach with ideas about how he wants to play, a strong soccer ops team under Reyna, CFG's network and scouting resources at our disposal, and cap room to work with. Until we see what happens in the offseason, I feel pretty good about our 2019 prospects. The big question is whether we'll spend as ambitiously as some of these other teams.

I see a team that has gone 12-13-6 (1.36 PPG equivalent) in 31 games across all competitions since mid-April, and a management that has yet to show signs of understanding it needs to change. This is not a bad streak. It's 31 games of play for which mediocrity is a compliment. If we change course I'll change my tune.
ETA: I struck the last sentence, not because I don't think things can improve or I'll keep saying the same thing even if they do. It's because NYCFC is currently irrelevant in a discussion of the MLS elite based on seven months of play under two coaches that was far from elite. Nothing that happens in the future will change that reality as of now. It will instead mean that NYCFC improved from a not-very-good team to an excellent one. Maybe that happens, or not. There are way too many unknowns to predict. The MLS segment that started this conversation was ostensibly about predicting 2019, but even the folks involved knew that was ridiculous and pretending otherwise is silly. MLS teams undergo too many changes year-to-year to have even a modestly informed opinion before March. It was solely about who had a 2018 that makes you confident about 2019 (or in Toronto's case giving them a pass for 2018 because of 2017).

Last edited:
Anybody know exactly what time the trade window is open today? It's completely quiet. Not just about NYCFC but eveyone.

December 9
9:00 AM - 1:00 PM ET
Sunday

Half-Day Trade Window
Following a three-month roster freeze, MLS clubs may begin making adjustments to their rosters. This is a four-hour window in which clubs may sign and trade players (both non-Re-Entry Draft eligible players and Re-Entry Draft eligible).

December 9
9:00 AM - 1:00 PM ET
Sunday

Half-Day Trade Window
Following a three-month roster freeze, MLS clubs may begin making adjustments to their rosters. This is a four-hour window in which clubs may sign and trade players (both non-Re-Entry Draft eligible players and Re-Entry Draft eligible).
I guess the MLS media crew is still asleep. I can't believe nobody made a trade.

Reactions: Shwafta
From an on the field perspective, it is easier to replace Villa than Almiron.

If our overlords gave two shits, the fix for NYCFC is simple. Go get a 20 goal scorer. Go get Chicharito. It will cost you $10 million. He’ll score 20 goals.

We’re not that far away. We just have a mediocre manager and no one to score.

If our overlords gave two shits, the fix for NYCFC is simple. Go get a 20 goal scorer. Go get Chicharito. It will cost you $10 million. He’ll score 20 goals.

I'd also argue we are asking waaaaay too much of Ring right now and he needs a great midfield partner to truly contend. A decent team + a superstar isn't going to win Cups anymore. Gotta be dominant at every level, and our midfield is too reliant on one player.

He’s a pure poacher and that’s what we were missing last year. If we hated what Larin would do to us every time we played against him, then other teams would dread Chicharito with Maxi and our flank players putting in crosses. And he’d instantly put seats in the stands. Hell, figure out how to offload Medina, and bring in Edinson Cavani and Chicharito and we’d have a torrid offense.

Last edited:
We’re really not that far away. Which makes me even angrier because we’re going to go into next season with Medina and another Medina and neither will make an impact.

We’re really not that far away. Which makes me even angrier because we’re going to go into next season with Medina and another Medina and neither will make an impact.
No matter what we do acquiring players, we’ll still be a manager away....

Reactions: Kjbert
I agree.

Our entire offensive philosophy was to just play keep away.
It sure wasn’t to score.

Last night ATL was passing beautifully and their ball movement looked very much like ours under PV when the team was actually clicking (as opposed to playing down to the competition).

Reactions: Kjbert
Pity Martínez confirmed today that he is off to Atlanta in a $17 Million move.

Rumors of Dario Benedetto off to LA Galaxy with Gio Dos Santos on the way out.

Someone is in for Porto owned Juan Fernando Quintero. He just finished his one year loan at River. Chicago possibly.

What if our next DP came from within the league?
It's hard to imagine how we acquire someone DP worthy from within MLS.
Harder to imagine doing it without giving up a ton of Garber bucks we probably need.
But other than that failure of my own imagination I don't care if we could pull it off.

What if a guy like Diego Rossi was being shopped. 12 goals last year.

I wouldn’t be thrilled with it considering the rest of the squad. But he was better than Medina.

What if a guy like Diego Rossi was being shopped. 12 goals last year.

I wouldn’t be thrilled with it considering the rest of the squad. But he was better than Medina.
All things being equal, I assume if we take a DP from another team in MLS it means they are upgrading. Which means we are not looking to lead the pack, at least when it comes to DPs. Also, MLS in general is getting better so quickly that even getting the best DP in 2018 would not guarantee we lead the pack of 2019 DPs. And he wasn't quite that.

All things aren't equal, and there are all kinds of team-specific or contextual reasons this could be a win-win - system fit, better personality fit, location, etc. But are those team-specific factors enough to overcome the more general constraints listed above? If not, at best, we are improving the squad less than the other squads are being improved, and we're arguably starting at a disadvantage anyway.

I didn't see him play a lot in 2018 so it's hard to say. The terms of the deal are probably really important. He's also a young DP so this would give us a lot of room to improve the rest of the squad. I'm open to it but it doesn't look like a home run on the face of it.

Last edited: