2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Based on Dome's description of what he wants, I think we're getting Hazard.
Dunno.... based on this quote it sounds like he wants Salah or nothing

”I prefer a player who is able to play in different positions like a winger, False Nine and No. 9 position,” Torrent said about a prospective Designated Player.

I’m reading Kyle’s article. I have lots of issues. No offense to him:

Ofori is not a defensive midfielder. That was plain as day last year.

Haak is not a defensive midfielder either and wouldn’t be Ring’s replacement. Ring is also 27. He has 4-5 seasons of high level soccer in him.

Great article by Kyle though. It’s more and more obvious Dome is in over his head.

Reactions: Ulrich
European transfer window closes on Jan 31. But that’s only for European Clubs looking to bring a player in, correct? They could send someone out as late as they want to?

If we’re going to wait until Summer anyway, why not take Gio Dos Santos on loan?

Other than striker, what are we not doing in this off-season that people wanted to see?

It's not that these signings are bad, it just that we seem to be making moves on the periphery. Parks appears to be the replacement for Herrera. Torres appears to be a backup with Ofori. Fine, those two guys make up pretty good bench options in the midfield. In a vacuum, these all appear to be fine signings.

My big issue is that MLS is improving every year. Are we improving with it? We had a great roster last year, one of the best in the league before Dome broke the team. Are we really improving enough to keep pace? Which starter from last year is being challenged over his spot? I can't think of anyone.

The off-season moves, to this point, make the DP signing all more important. If we’re only expecting 1 or 2 more additions now, it needs to be someone (or two people that can combine) for 20+ goals. That’s a HUGE fucking ask of anyone, much less someone new to MLS.

Not to mention, if the next person we sign is expected to play centrally, that probably Medina on the bench. We’re back to having a DP on the bench.

This fucking club.

Reactions: Ulrich and adam
“If we have the best striker in MLS, maybe the best solution is to play 4-4-2 [formation],” Torrent said. “Our players have the right quality. We are working right now to sign the right players to play 4-3-3 , but if it’s not possible and we need to change a little bit, we have enough time.”

What on earth does this last quote mean? If Dome's game plan is as fragmented as his quotes about his plan we are screwed. What formation does he want to play? Why would having one elite striker cause you to play a two striker formation (4-4-2) instead of a one striker formation (4-3-3)? What might not be possible and require us to change? Is he actually saying on the eve of training camp he doesn't know what formation we will play because their still sorting out what players they might get?

What on earth does this last quote mean? If Dome's game plan is as fragmented as his quotes about his plan we are screwed. What formation does he want to play? Why would having one elite striker cause you to play a two striker formation (4-4-2) instead of a one striker formation (4-3-3)? What might not be possible and require us to change? Is he actually saying on the eve of training camp he doesn't know what formation we will play because their still sorting out what players they might get?

I took this to believe that we shouldn’t expect to sign a Striker. He’s telling us straightaway that we should expect a very fluid front 3 with no target man.

He then says if we do sign a target man, Maxi becomes one of the two players up top, alongside, or underneath, an actual 9.

I took this to believe that we shouldn’t expect to sign a Striker. He’s telling us straightaway that we should expect a very fluid front 3 with no target man.

He then says if we do sign a target man, Maxi becomes one of the two players up top, alongside, or underneath, an actual 9.

That makes sense, I picked up on that a bit too. To your earlier point all of this points to issues with playing Medina. All of the guys that can do what Dome is describing are strong, many are short but they are all strong and don't get pushed around: Salah, Hazard. On our roster the attackers that have shown the strength to effectively fight and hold position are: Lewis, Maxi (although he does it in clever ways to offset his size), Castellanos and ITS. Medina has consistently shown he has no ability to hold position and take the challenges that are going to come his way when he floats into the middle. Unless the plan is the play Medina at CAM and Maxi as an interchanger up front I don't see a role for Medina. Even that plan seems flawed as it bumps Maxi from his most effective spot to make room for Medina to do the job worse than Maxi would.

Here’s the issue with that. We play on a postage stamp. Sometimes you need to boot it long. I lose more faith in Dome by the day.

Reactions: Ulrich

Yeah, the bit about if we have the best striker maybe we play 2-strikers is a real head-scratcher. Also, why would he even say "If we have the best striker in MLS..."
You get that far in the sentence and you think,"wow, we must be targeting someone who would be the best striker in MLS." Then you realize, he probably doesn't mean that at all. Then you end up feeling annoyed instead of informed.
I don't think he understands how fans react -- especially when the club parses out info so rarely.

Yeah, the bit about if we have the best striker maybe we play 2-strikers is a real head-scratcher. Also, why would he even say "If we have the best striker in MLS..."
You get that far in the sentence and you think,"wow, we must be targeting someone who would be the best striker in MLS." Then you realize, he probably doesn't mean that at all. Then you end up feeling annoyed instead of informed.
I don't think he understands how fans react -- especially when the club parses out info so rarely.

I think a large portion of it is how uncomfortable he feels when speaking English. I think much of what he's actually thinking gets lost in transition because of his insecurity with English. Someone needs to tell him he speaks better English than he thinks he does.

European transfer window closes on Jan 31. But that’s only for European Clubs looking to bring a player in, correct? They could send someone out as late as they want to?

If we’re going to wait until Summer anyway, why not take Gio Dos Santos on loan?

Yes, the transfer window refers to the incoming league not the outgoing league. The MLS primary transfer window ends on May 1. We could receive a transfer from any players in a world league until May 1.

Reactions: Kjbert
When he says “if we had the best striker,” that pisses me off. We should have the best striker. Why not?
I'm just glad that it appears as if he thinks we might, at this point. It sounds to me llike there's a plan for a DP in a 4-3-3 and a plan for a DP in a 4-4-2 diamond. The 4-3-3 DP is likely his Salah / Hazard preference. The other maybe a pure striker.

I realize I'm reading these quotes in a particular and optimistic way, but it seems prudent enough to me to have at least 2 plans around the single most important hole in our roster.