2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
You don’t fly to Manchester to re-sign with NYC. It’s been sweet. And appreciated him doing everything he could to come back and play this year for playoffs. Good luck to him.

Came here to post this

But you also probably don't need to fly to Manchester if you've already figured out where you're going next. Herrera's trying his best to move but we're still a fallback option if he can't find the right midseason loan in Europe.

But you would if you were meeting with your owners to discuss the options available to you. If he was coming back to New York, you just stay here. It’s not like Manchester is London.

Yo, he's a Manchester United player and its our offseason. You expect him to just stay in his apartment in NYC all winter? There's a billion reasons he could be anywhere on the globe right now.

If I were him, the day after the season ended I'd go to the site of my parent company and starting using their world class facilities for training.

EDIT: I'm leaving it. Idgaf about English soccer.

Last edited:
Yo, he's a Manchester United player and its our offseason. You expect him to just stay in his apartment in NYC all winter? There's a billion reasons he could be anywhere on the globe right now.

If I were him, the day after the season ended I'd go to the site of my parent company and starting using their world class facilities for training.
He is a Manchester United Player ?

But you also probably don't need to fly to Manchester if you've already figured out where you're going next. Herrera's trying his best to move but we're still a fallback option if he can't find the right midseason loan in Europe.

i think you cant technically go to new team yet till january 1st though so he goes to "home base" and then fly to where he will need to go.

HOT TAKE:

I'm slowly gravitating toward the opinion that DPs don't actually matter more than hitting on your TAM level players. For example, I'd rather have something like 10 players making $500,000-$1,500,000 and their play showing that the deserve it than blowing our cash on a $5,000,000 DP and being hit-and-miss on a couple TAM guys.

Under this theory, players like Medina makes a ton of sense for DPs. From a cap management perspective, compare these two options under a spending budget of $6mm:

PLAYER / COST / CAP HIT
Medina / $600k / $200k (DP)
Ring / $550k + $400k DTAM / $150k
Diomande / $850k + $700k DTAM / $150k
TOTAL: $3.1mm / $500k

PLAYER / COST / CAP HIT
Villa / $6mm / $500k (DP)
TOTAL: $6mm / $500k

For the same cap hit, we got three very quality players for $3 million less in actual costs that can be allocated elsewhere on the roster, infrastructure, fan experience, or academy. Of course, you have to be successful with the players you bring in, but the upside is higher under this method than putting all your eggs in the DP basket and sacrificing 2-3 TAM level players.

So given all that, sign another Medina. But I wanna know what 26 year olds that aren't breaking thru to Champions League in Europe and available on a free for us to spend some of that DTAM on...

Here's your Villa replacement class, just pulling a few forwards from the high end of the TAM range on expiring contracts between 23-30 years old without looking into them beyond that:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/robert-beric/profil/spieler/91415
https://www.transfermarkt.com/laurent-depoitre/profil/spieler/90583
https://www.transfermarkt.com/sergi-enrich/leistungsdaten/spieler/81988
https://www.transfermarkt.com/fran-sol/profil/spieler/164292
https://www.transfermarkt.com/josip-drmic/profil/spieler/140579
https://www.transfermarkt.com/franco-di-santo/profil/spieler/59783

Diomande was a free transfer from Hull, 28 years old, and a Transfermarkt value of 1.5 million euros, for comparison. Gotta scout and hit right, but that's probably the right play. Hell, we can afford two for a smaller cap hit and less actual cost than spending $6 million on another Villa type.
I don't think this is a hot take at all actually. I agree with this model to a very large extent and can actually see the league moving this way once more TAM/GAM is introduced or the cap ceiling becomes substantially higher. Absolute A+ post!

Reactions: sbrylski

This. (except for the United typo :D)

Because he's in Manchester right now, doesn't really mean much. He very well may not be back next year, but I'm not sure we should read too much into him being there now. Now if this was along with a report that he was meeting with another team, ok, maybe there is some reasonable smoke. But I don't see him just physically being there now as anything to really run with.

Classic Chanot - the contracting equivalent of the 80th minute fake head injury that initially concerns the fans but ends up being OK.

giphy.gif

Ha well done, we all gasped and then he got back up and ran back on the roster

Hopefully we got him on a smaller contract. Happy that he’s back, he does a great job and it’s tough finding good CB’s in this league.

Interesting that they didn’t mention using TAM on this contract.

Also interesting that’s he’s only played 43 matches in 2.5 seasons.

So I’ll ask the question. A good manager will take the talent he has and build a formation to fit his players.

No Villa next season. Chanot is back.

Based on what we know we have on the roster, isn’t 3 in the back the way to go next season? Especially with how Matarrita and Tinnerholm want to play and Berget up top. Ring sits in front of the 3 CBs. Go get a DP box to box midfielder and the formation is set.

So I’ll ask the question. A good manager will take the talent he has and build a formation to fit his players.

No Villa next season. Chanot is back.

Based on what we know we have on the roster, isn’t 3 in the back the way to go next season? Especially with how Matarrita and Tinnerholm want to play and Berget up top. Ring sits in front of the 3 CBs. Go get a DP box to box midfielder and the formation is set.
Playing 3ATB does not require defensive wingbacks. The outside players can be offensive in nature as wings that drop (as opposed to defenders that attack), and with our roster, that’s the route that gets the best players lined up.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Playing 3ATB does not require defensive wingbacks. The outside players can be offensive in nature as wings that drop (as opposed to defenders that attack), and with our roster, that’s the route that gets the best players lined up.

We only have 3 wide players on the roster right now that are worth shit. Matarrita, Tinnerholm and ITS.

Why not play the two natural defenders wide and ITS behind Berget.

Reactions: Schwallacus