2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Two possibilities.

1 - The Club values Parkhurst more than someone else and is willing to sign MP on a free and deal another player for AM.
2 - Dome wants to switch to a 3-man back line and that requires more depth.
As was mentioned on twitter, he’s free and that’s all that CFG cares about.

Reactions: Kjbert
Parkhurst is one of my all-time favorite soccer players. He was a beast with the Revolution all those years ago in a 3 atb system and committed like 1.5 fouls a year and almost never received a card.

The reason I loved him is because he was great without playing the ugly way. I hate "professional" fouls more than diving or any other aspect of the game so I love when a center back is good not because of his size or physicality, but because he just positions himself so well.

That being said, when he came back to the league a few years ago I assumed he was past his prime, but have been proven wrong year after year. I'm not sure we should go after him, but I wouldn't be upset over it. Players who excelled due to skill and game intelligence rather than size and speed tend to have longer productive careers.

Back three of Chanot, parkhurst and callebs?

The argument for this move is that he steps into the money we saved by letting go of Wallace and McNamara.

My concern is that I would rather see us go get another ITS with that $400k than a surplus CB.

It's a risk reward question. Granted Parkhurst has some injury risk due to age but he's a known performer in the MLS. I'm also not sure we need another CB but ITS types have consistently been high risk high reward for us. We've had some serious misses in the $300K-$800K range. ITS has been great but we've also had, Mendoza, Carmargo, Hountondji, Ofori, and Berget. Again I'm not sure Parkhurst is the best option but I wouldn't mind the team mixing in some proven MLS guys with the international dice rolls to offset the risk a bit.

It's a risk reward question. Granted Parkhurst has some injury risk due to age but he's a known performer in the MLS. I'm also not sure we need another CB but ITS types have consistently been high risk high reward for us. We've had some serious misses in the $300K-$800K range. ITS has been great but we've also had, Mendoza, Carmargo, Hountondji, Ofori, and Berget. Again I'm not sure Parkhurst is the best option but I wouldn't mind the team mixing in some proven MLS guys with the international dice rolls to offset the risk a bit.

Let’s take that a step further then. I’m with you on adding a “sure thing” and then deciding to play 3 ATB.

But then you need to have the right players in front of you to play that way. IF that is the plan, then you’re saying the next DP is a box to box Midfielder who probably doesn’t score goals. And you’re going into the season with a starting XI of:
Johnson
Callens - Parkhurst - Chanot
Tinny - Ring - Herrera?? - Matarrita
Maxi
Shradi-Berget

Lots of 1-0 games there hopefully if we want to win.

Realistically, we have 1 month before we can start panicking. If we haven’t announced guys by the 20th of January (foreign players), the probability is that those players won’t be ready for early March when we open the season.

I would have liked for us to have traded for Fabian Castillo and either moved Mata or made his MF switch permanent.

I said, so far......

I understand it’s early I’m prob just more sour Villa is gone and no real rumors on a big time DP to replace him (the Herrera to DP rumor terrifies me - just play friggin Sands and open the window to the youth —-> Haak?)

I’m optimistic about the Parkhurst move if he does come. He doesn’t cost an international spot, he’s absolutely a starter. Three at the back is an immediate possibility. Ibeagha is our only other proven CB. During international breaks if Collins and Chanot are called up, Parkhurst and Ibeagha can both fill in without playing anybody out of position.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Perhaps we're after Parkhurst to add some veteran leadership to the team. If management thinks Ring and Chanot aren't up to filling the void left by Villa then arguably this team needs a true leader as much as it needs a dynamite new young DP.