2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
I'm just glad that it appears as if he thinks we might, at this point. It sounds to me llike there's a plan for a DP in a 4-3-3 and a plan for a DP in a 4-4-2 diamond. The 4-3-3 DP is likely his Salah / Hazard preference. The other maybe a pure striker.

I realize I'm reading these quotes in a particular and optimistic way, but it seems prudent enough to me to have at least 2 plans around the single most important hole in our roster.

Fair.

I read it to say we will know soon about our first choice and if that falls through there’s another guy we think we can get this spring or summer.

Small net. Not a lot of room for errors here.

And I hope they aren’t considering GMS as a DP

That's exactly what he's saying, and I don't see what's particularly confusing or alarming about it.

That would make sense if he inherited a roster that played a different formation than his preferred formation and he wasnt sure if he'd get all the players in one off season to complete the transition. But he's said he wants to play a 4-3-3 and he inherited a roster built over 3 yearts o play a 4-3-3 so where's the amibuity, what does he need to commit?

When combined with what we saw last season the cause for concern is that Dome is a constant tinkerer and we are in for a full season of players confused by an instable ever changing system. The reason for optimism this year was the hope he'd start settling in to something to me that quote is not a reassuring sign that he's moving towards stability any time soon.

Reactions: Ulrich
That makes sense, I picked up on that a bit too. To your earlier point all of this points to issues with playing Medina. All of the guys that can do what Dome is describing are strong, many are short but they are all strong and don't get pushed around: Salah, Hazard. On our roster the attackers that have shown the strength to effectively fight and hold position are: Lewis, Maxi (although he does it in clever ways to offset his size), Castellanos and ITS. Medina has consistently shown he has no ability to hold position and take the challenges that are going to come his way when he floats into the middle. Unless the plan is the play Medina at CAM and Maxi as an interchanger up front I don't see a role for Medina. Even that plan seems flawed as it bumps Maxi from his most effective spot to make room for Medina to do the job worse than Maxi would.
I’ve never seen a role for Medina in a non touch-football league. Seriously, he’s meant to play with flags, not tackles.

Reactions: Kjbert
But he's said he wants to play a 4-3-3 and he inherited a roster built over 3 yearts o play a 4-3-3 so where's the amibuity, what does he need to commit?

Different 4-3-3s. Vieira liked inverted wingers, a shuttling center mid, overlapping fullbacks, and a focal point striker. Dome wants wide natural wingers, advanced midfielders, inside fullbacks, and a versatile center forward. We're making progress on the overhaul but it's just as big a project as retooling for a 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 (which it looks like we're also doing at the same time for flexibility's sake).

Different 4-3-3s. Vieira liked inverted wingers, a shuttling center mid, overlapping fullbacks, and a focal point striker. Dome wants wide natural wingers, advanced midfielders, inside fullbacks, and a versatile center forward. We're making progress on the overhaul but it's just as big a project as retooling for a 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 (which it looks like we're also doing at the same time for flexibility's sake).
I've been thinking / hoping some of this glut at midfield positions means some center midfielder to inside full back conversions. Preferably with slightly more success than City with Delph. The younger and more malleable Zinchenko might be a more optimistic model.

One small thing we might be forgetting regarding our new signing and possibly even Sands. With the U-20 world cup this year, It's possible that Torres (and maybe Sands) may not be with the team for a large part of the season. Therefore, this "bloated" midfield could be not as large as it seems. As other people have also mentioned, with a large number of midweek/crowded weeks this depth may be a necessary evil/stroke of genius that many teams will not realize until its too late.

One small thing we might be forgetting regarding our new signing and possibly even Sands. With the U-20 world cup this year, It's possible that Torres (and maybe Sands) may not be with the team for a large part of the season. Therefore, this "bloated" midfield could be not as large as it seems. As other people have also mentioned, with a large number of midweek/crowded weeks this depth may be a necessary evil/stroke of genius that many teams will not realize until its too late.
You're right, no one has really thought of this. And our team always seems to have troubles with those summer competitions (copa america, gold cup are definitely not going to help...)

Reactions: Kjbert and JohnB

And don't forget Olympic qualifying which will take place in October (during MLS Cup Playoffs now). That means Jonathan Lewis will be gone.

Reactions: Kjbert and JohnB
I’m reading Kyle’s article. I have lots of issues. No offense to him:

Ofori is not a defensive midfielder. That was plain as day last year.

Haak is not a defensive midfielder either and wouldn’t be Ring’s replacement. Ring is also 27. He has 4-5 seasons of high level soccer in him.

Great article by Kyle though. It’s more and more obvious Dome is in over his head.
Appreciate the response.

I'll have more on the Haak/Ring comparison. Those were Haak's words, not mine (even though those were mine in the story).

Omg. What’s your actual title and pay scale?

This is the most stretched, unrealistic, detached, bullshit, excuse-making, garbage post I’ve ever read.

ETA: Severely disappointed with anyone who paid mind to this bullshit. It’s completely the insane babble of the sycophants.

Whatever. I think I’m about done with the club, and I know I’m done with the ownership. If folks want to kowtow to idiots, I can be done here too.

Eta2: the u20 World Cup is 3 weeks if you win it. We would have a max of 3 matches impacted, if the US won it.

I can’t even. I really just can’t.

Last edited:
Omg. What’s your actual title and pay scale?

This is the most stretched, unrealistic, detached, bullshit, excuse-making, garbage post I’ve ever read.

ETA: Severely disappointed with anyone who paid mind to this bullshit. It’s completely the insane babble of the sycophants.

Whatever. I think I’m about done with the club, and I know I’m done with the ownership. If folks want to kowtow to idiots, I can be done here too.
Go.

K. Because you have that power.

Other than being a parrot, you do nothing.

Yeah. I’ll get real. For real.

Edited myself.

Point is, offer a POV. Give some rationale. I don’t give a shit if I agree. Just do something. And explain it. IOW, contribute some content worth reading.

Last edited:
K. Because you have that power.

Other than being a parrot, you do nothing.

Yeah. I’ll get real. For real.

Edited myself.

Point is, offer a POV. Give some rationale. I don’t give a shit if I agree. Just do something. And explain it. IOW, contribute some content worth reading.

I do. You don't.

I do. You don't.
Really? Point to your original contributions.

Seriously.

Actually, do or don’t. I don’t care. I don’t actually respect your contributions. So I don’t care if they are yours or others.

And I damn sure don’t care what you think about mine.

Really? Point to your original contributions.

Seriously.

Actually, do or don’t. I don’t care. I don’t actually respect your contributions. So I don’t care if they are yours or others.

And I damn sure don’t care what you think about mine.
Point to your coherent contributions.