2022 Schedule Thread

A few observations.
  • Lots of weekend games, and both weeknight games are away from Yankee Stadium. This is good.
  • Weekend games are balanced between early afternoon (5), late afternoon (5) and evening (4).
  • All 3 of the Citi Field weekend day games are at 5pm, and so are 2 of the Yankee Stadium Sunday games.
  • Oddly, one of the Sunday 1pm games is on Easter. This makes no sense. People are done with Easter festivities in time for a 3pm or 5pm game. Not a 1pm game.
  • Away game at Atlanta is on Columbus Day weekend. Already planning to take the kids for a weekend trip.
  • Overall, I really like this schedule. I should be able to make more games this year than even pre-Covid.

NYCFC, your defending MLS champion, has five games on national TV.

Atlanta United has fifteen games on national TV (yes, practically half their schedule).

since when did Atlanta become the Dallas Cowboys?

Optics. Atlanta gets 30-40k for most matches and the atmosphere in the stadium is wild. NYCFC has an outfield wall that takes up 50% of the TV screen.

I get the above, but ABC just had its highest rated MLS Cup final since Beckham was in the league. That wasn't all Portland.

On the other hand, the television decisions were probably made weeks ago.
I'm sure they know their average viewership numbers in each market, though.

Reactions: Kjbert
Yes please! I need some more Q39.
OMG I went to this place years ago visiting a friend that lived there and it’s some of the best bbq I’ve ever had. The burnt ends were life changing. I’ve never had anything remotely as good since. It was only a week ago I was trying to remember the name of the place.

I know baseball is locked out right now, but it seems like we're going to have a lot of conflicts on YES if the baseball season starts up. I'm counting at least 7 matches that are on a Saturday or Sunday during that 1-4PM baseball start time or Wednesdays in that 7-10PM time.

In the past NYCFC has moved gametimes to shift out of Yankee windows, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them do the same next year. Yankees gametimes aren't fully out yet, so they're probably waiting for that.

Well, this may be the final year we deal with YES/YES App issue as the MLS TV deal expires at the end of 2022.

Regarding the schedule, the best thing would be MLB and the MLBPA to come to an agreement as soon as possible. If they come to an agreement that would adjust the MLB calendar (aside from a completely cancelled season), this may be altered a lot and much more games at RBA.

As a diehard baseball fan, my strong suspicion is that they will come to a deal just in time to start the season on-time. My advice is to not worry about the MLB lockout until we get to March 1 without a deal.