2023 Schedule Thread

They're gonna hit all the biggest stadiums in the country, no doubt. Which means yankee stadium will be probably filled to the max like 30k. I doubt they open more, but i have no doubt they would fill it out completely if they did all decks.

They would absolutely open the entire stadium for a Messi game. Come on, this team is in the business of making money. If they think they can get 45,000 fans, they're going to go for it.

They would absolutely open the entire stadium for a Messi game. Come on, this team is in the business of making money. If they think they can get 45,000 fans, they're going to go for it.
Totally agree. There's no way they'd pass on selling out all those seats in the 400's at $100+ per ticket.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
If it happens, at least we'll get Messi next year. In 2018 we played the Galaxy at home in Game 2 and Zlatan showed up 2 weeks later. Then we played the Galaxy Away in 2019.
Which invites speculation: now that there are limited East-West games every year, will the league manipulate Miami's schedule to hit the big western teams or venues like LAFC, Portland, Seattle.

I do want to see Messi play against us and maybe miss a penalty kick or something and then complain about baseball stadium sightlines.
Wouldn't be surprised if they do that. Though IMO they should avoid Portland. They sell out anyways and don't have any options to sell more tickets unlike Seattle can.

Reactions: Kjbert
Wouldn't be surprised if they do that. Though IMO they should avoid Portland. They sell out anyways and don't have any options to sell more tickets unlike Seattle can.
If everyone still gets 3 interconference Away games next year I'm not sure there's a better choice. I don't think anyone else in the West has excess capacity like Seattle does. If it's just a matter of exceeding some other teams' average attendance by a few thousand I don't think there's that much benefit compared to putting Messi on TV in arguably the league's crown jewel stadium atmosphere.

Also, Miami is away to Houston, St. Louis CITY and LAFC this year. Would be bold to send Miami to LAFC 2 years in a row but they might do it. We played Dallas, Minnesota, RSL, and Vancouver last year and this year, though they all flipped H/A.

If everyone still gets 3 interconference Away games next year I'm not sure there's a better choice. I don't think anyone else in the West has excess capacity like Seattle does. If it's just a matter of exceeding some other teams' average attendance by a few thousand I don't think there's that much benefit compared to putting Messi on TV in arguably the league's crown jewel stadium atmosphere.

Also, Miami is away to Houston, St. Louis CITY and LAFC this year. Would be bold to send Miami to LAFC 2 years in a row but they might do it. We played Dallas, Minnesota, RSL, and Vancouver last year and this year, though they all flipped H/A.
Perhaps they could move a game at LAG to the Rose Bowl? They were planning on LAG vs LAFC there earlier this year but then it had to be canceled if I'm remembering correctly.

Also not sure if other Western Conference teams have options to move to larger stadiums.

But if not, I think you're right on Portland being the better option in terms of max eyeballs at a stadium.

Someone on Reddit speculates Miami will move most or all home games to Hard Rock Stadium. They currently are not selling single game tickets beyond July 1 and there are very few conflicts with either the Dolphins or U of Miami this year.

ETA: Also the resale market for Miami Away games has exploded.

Someone on Reddit speculates Miami will move most or all home games to Hard Rock Stadium. They currently are not selling single game tickets beyond July 1 and there are very few conflicts with either the Dolphins or U of Miami this year.

I did see what seemed to be a credible rumor on Twitter that they will be looking to move their League's Cup match against Cruz Azul to Hard Rock

Don't you wish you had answered those Miami season tickets emails now? Lol

NYCFC's next league game is August 20, which is a Sunday. The entire league plays that Sunday and no teams have a game scheduled for Saturday August 19. Which made me wonder why.

The League Cup Final is August 19. So the game on August 20 might get rescheduled as it is unimaginable they will make teams play 2 days in a row. We don't even have to make the final. Our opponent Minnesota could make it. Oh but there's more stupidity. They actually are going to have a third place game also on August 19. Nobody can possibly GAF about finishing third in this marketing gimmick. Fortunately Minnesota is almost as crap as NYCFC is, so they're unlikely to make either the final or the nobody GAF game. But if they somehow do, (1) our next league game might not be until August 26, (2) the Minnesota game will have to be rescheduled, and (3) even with the scheduled LC games, NYCFC could go a full month and 4.5 weeks (7/26 to 8/26) between competitive games. Isn't that exciting?

Oh, and I have not analyzed at the Yankee or Met schedules but there's probably a good chance a rescheduled Minnesota game would end up in RBA, or during a international break in mid-September.

So root against Minnesota!

NYCFC's next league game is August 20, which is a Sunday. The entire league plays that Sunday and no teams have a game scheduled for Saturday August 19. Which made me wonder why.

The League Cup Final is August 19. So the game on August 20 might get rescheduled as it is unimaginable they will make teams play 2 days in a row. We don't even have to make the final. Our opponent Minnesota could make it. Oh but there's more stupidity. They actually are going to have a third place game also on August 19. Nobody can possibly GAF about finishing third in this marketing gimmick. Fortunately Minnesota is almost as crap as NYCFC is, so they're unlikely to make either the final or the nobody GAF game. But if they somehow do, (1) our next league game might not be until August 26, (2) the Minnesota game will have to be rescheduled, and (3) even with the scheduled LC games, NYCFC could go a full month and 4.5 weeks (7/26 to 8/26) between competitive games. Isn't that exciting?

Oh, and I have not analyzed at the Yankee or Met schedules but there's probably a good chance a rescheduled Minnesota game would end up in RBA, or during a international break in mid-September.

So root against Minnesota!
Third place team qualifies for Concacaf Champions Cup (formerly CCL)

Reactions: Kjbert
Third place team qualifies for Concacaf Champions Cup (formerly CCL)

All that does is mess up your next season for a regional tournament that now gets less exposure than the Leagues Cup.

ETA: The idea that CCL is at all prestigious is possibly the most baffling thing to me in my 9 years following MLS. Everyone wants to pretend it's sort of like UCL when it's not even close. It's a Frankenstein UCL-skinsuit played by teams who lack the budget to handle extra games, a time of year that has never made sense, featuring mostly teams and multiple leagues just there to get extra CONCACAF payoffs. It is typical CONACAF, which is to say stupid, poorly run, and pointless.

Last edited:
Also, I don't care what the prize is. It could be a billion dollars. Tournament third place games are stupid. Awarding anything meaningful to a the winner of a game between two teams who were just knocked out of a tournament is beyond stupid. Let everyone go home. Pat them on the heads and award them both participation medals. No third place games.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC
Literally having a final and third place game on Saturday in a tournament sanctioned (and largely a marketing gimmick) of the league and then having a full league schedule the next day is so MLS.

we all know NYCFC isn’t winning this thing. They need to get things right to have a heck of a 10 final games to make the playoffs.

so did someone do the math and figure out how many points we need to be safely in the playoffs or is it a situation where we are mathematically screwed unless other teams mess up? i haven't been motivated to look at the table.. it's too depressing.