2023 Schedule Thread

so did someone do the math and figure out how many points we need to be safely in the playoffs or is it a situation where we are mathematically screwed unless other teams mess up? i haven't been motivated to look at the table.. it's too depressing.
It's daunting but not hopeless. Probably 1.8-1.9 PPG to get in, though guaranteed might take 2.0-2.1. No reason a good team could not do that with 7/10 home games. But this is not a good team, and hard to predict if it will become one with the additions. Here's a terrifying possibility: Imagine if the team actually becomes good but the new striker(s) have a slump and just don't score their chances? Villa, Heber and Castellanos all had slumps. There's no guarantee they don't come when a player first arrives.

Last edited:
Reactions: canchon and moogoo
If you really want to get down and dirty and brutal about it, at this stage of the season making the playoffs is pretty much out of their control.

With 10 matches left they have to leap frog over 4 teams to get into 9th place and not only do they need to take points, they have to depend on DCU, Montreal, Charlotte and the Red Bulls dropping points. That's never a good situation when you have to rely on other clubs to take care of business for you. Not to mention 3 of the teams ahead of us have a game in hand.

It's not impossible, but it would be a fluke.

They have 7 home games left. Winning those 7 games (or basically winning 7/10 games) gives them 21 points plus the 26 they already have = 47 points. That smells like playoffs.

So yeah, is it impossible? No. They would just have to literally both play well AND have their luck turn for chances to start going in.

Asking a team to win seven of ten considering that they have won one of their last 16 games…that’s a bold strategy Cotton.

Reactions: mgarbowski
A team that has one win since April is going to win 7 over the next 10? Good luck with that. And BTW is that 47 points taking into account what the Red Bulls, Charlotte, Montreal and DC United do the rest of the year? Like I said, when you have to rely on 4 teams to drop points you're cooked.

Reactions: Shwafta
Truth. However, 7 of 10 is more plausible with 7 home games - and games against teams in the chase. There are several “six pointers” on the fixture list. The path is there, and not as daunting as it might seem.

That noted, I’d put it at 60/40 they make it.

Truth. However, 7 of 10 is more plausible with 7 home games - and games against teams in the chase. There are several “six pointers” on the fixture list. The path is there, and not as daunting as it might seem.

That noted, I’d put it at 60/40 they make it.
Our home record is 4-2-4. That is not even CLOSE to a team that wins 7 home games remaining.

Our home record is 4-2-4. That is not even CLOSE to a team that wins 7 home games remaining.
We can disagree, but 1.6 ppg against a schedule that included all of the top 4 teams in the East is not that far from 2.1 against mid-table teams.

I maintain it is 60/40 the team makes the playoffs. I also believe on and off field things could (should) have happened to increase those chances.

Reactions: Shwafta
We still host Montreal, Chicago and RB. Charlotte has to travel to Cincinnati, NE and Nashville as well as play Messi. I don’t think the team deserves it but win 5 of the home games and don’t lose the other two and they probably make the playoffs. Likely comes down to needing some sort of result on the final day hosting Chicago

Reactions: canchon
We still host Montreal, Chicago and RB. Charlotte has to travel to Cincinnati, NE and Nashville as well as play Messi. I don’t think the team deserves it but win 5 of the home games and don’t lose the other two and they probably make the playoffs. Likely comes down to needing some sort of result on the final day hosting Chicago
Yup, in a weird schedule quirk NYCFC is basically finished with top of the table teams besides going to CIN (hardest game remaining) and hosting Orlando. The rest are against bottom table teams. Their schedule gets a lot easier. The brutal road split (they have played 14 of 17 road games, more than anyone else in the league) has contributed to their results being worse than with an even H/A split.

That said, win the Charlotte and Columbus games (and let’s throw in the ATL game) and they’d have a much easier path.

Yup, in a weird schedule quirk NYCFC is basically finished with top of the table teams besides going to CIN (hardest game remaining) and hosting Orlando. The rest are against bottom table teams. Their schedule gets a lot easier. The brutal road split (they have played 14 of 17 road games, more than anyone else in the league) has contributed to their results being worse than with an even H/A split.

That said, win the Charlotte and Columbus games (and let’s throw in the ATL game) and they’d have a much easier path.

when you say "bottom table teams" and realize we are one of said bottom table teams... it doesn't mean much :/

Reactions: Gene

Yeah I'm still pretty confident this team makes the playoffs. Having an actual No. 9 should open up our offense, and our defense has been so good that if we can score an extra half goal a game, it will lead to some good results. I can see us going 6-2-2 in our last 10 games and getting in. We could also crumble and miss the playoffs, but I think it's more likely than not we make the playoffs.

Yeah I'm still pretty confident this team makes the playoffs. Having an actual No. 9 should open up our offense, and our defense has been so good that if we can score an extra half goal a game, it will lead to some good results. I can see us going 6-2-2 in our last 10 games and getting in. We could also crumble and miss the playoffs, but I think it's more likely than not we make the playoffs.
Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

I know, I know. I'm an optimist by nature. But we've been so close to picking up points the last few weeks, it's not going to take a massive improvement to turn these draws and losses into wins. Plus we really do have a cupcake schedule the rest of the way. We are better, on paper, than almost every team we face the rest of the regular season.

I’m starting to think this mini middle season break was probably necessary for this team. Yes I think the first game back will probably be rusty but I think with the additions we’ve made, particularly Maxi, I think this is the preseason those players needed. And Nick has some time to implement the type of style he wants for the rest of the season. I’m feeling hopeful for a run for the playoffs and even a deep run in the playoffs. Seattle has won a cup from just a late summer hot streak. Why not us? Why not us!!

Reactions: Sabo and moogoo
We're into the equivalent of baseball All-Star game week Thursday.
Back when I cared about baseball ASG weeks had the same recurring pattern:

Monday: you have news stories and highlights from your team's Sunday game to amuse you, and one night off isn't unusual anyway.
Tuesday: news articles previewing the ASG, and the ASG itself. Not as good as regular play, but something.
Wednesday: Argue whether the ASG means anything with your opinion determined by which league won. But you start to get a bad itch because it's been like, forever since you had a real game.
Thursday: Seriously? Now what. This has gone on way too long, and there's still not even a game today. When do the Yankees finally play again, and who cares about the ASG anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: joe
Those capo stands make it seems like Austin views their supporters as an afterthought. It takes up about 15 seats

im going to assume they are temporary and can be take out? because normally these things are on the edges or the ground but not on the seats themselves.

We have six remaining home games and the only thing I am looking towards for the rest of the season is for positive news out of an administration proceeding (ULURP). Even that is not guaranteed. Thank you David and Nick.

• Haha
Reactions: LionNYC and Kenny