Away - Chicago 03/06

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we've talked a lot about the starting lineup on the forum, but what do we think is the full match-day 18? Here's how I'd break it down. This would leave three spots from the guys in the Maybe category, assuming no injuries. Lampard is presumably just a fitness question, but thoughts on the others?

IN
Johnasen
Saunders
Iraola
White
Brillant
Matarrita
Bravo
Pirlo
Poku
Mix
McNamara
Taylor
Shelton
Villa
Mullins

Out
Allen
Brandt
Harrison
Mena

Maybe
Hernandez
Ballouchy
Jacobson
Lampard
Lopez
Martinez
I would consider moving Mena to the "Maybe" category as well, as it appears he has been back in training with the team. If he's fully fit, then he's definitely in the "In" category.

But lets consider him "Out" for now, I think the 3 additional guys would be Frank (assuming here he is fit to go, which has been reported he is), Martinez, Hernandez. Hernandez is in solely to provide depth at CB, possible that Jacobson is available for that, but I think it goes to Hernandez. Martinez provides depth at LB for Matarrita in case we sub Matarrita off, or sub off whoever is playing LW and move Matarrita up.

Edit: I do also like Lopez, but he is in a logjam right now.

I would consider moving Mena to the "Maybe" category as well, as it appears he has been back in training with the team. If he's fully fit, then he's definitely in the "In" category.

But lets consider him "Out" for now, I think the 3 additional guys would be Frank (assuming here he is fit to go, which has been reported he is), Martinez, Hernandez. Hernandez is in solely to provide depth at CB, possible that Jacobson is available for that, but I think it goes to Hernandez. Martinez provides depth at LB for Matarrita in case we sub Matarrita off, or sub off whoever is playing LW and move Matarrita up.

Edit: I do also like Lopez, but he is in a logjam right now.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I had Hernandez as "in" and then moved him, but I agree he is likely to be there as CB cover until either Mena gets back or Bravo as a CB option fully takes hold. Similarly, I agree that Martinez is a near certainty given the need for FB cover and the flexibility to move Matarrita.

Ok, you mentioned before his frame and athleticism is a big drawback (frame I agree on, athleticism I do not). What else makes him so overrated? As you previously mentioned, his shot blocking is great and he is fantastic with the ball at his feet. He has always had great command of the backline. Rimando is a very, very good keeper.

His athleticism is a draw back due to his body type. He just doesn't get up very well or fast enough when hitting the floor and he doesn't get high enough when he jumps. Is he a poor GK? Of course not. He is a good GK, and credit to him, he has made the most of his tools. However, his frame again not ideal for GK. A few years ago when RSL was making that CCL run a lot of fans were wondering why doesn't he get any European looks. The answer was simple. He just isn't good enough. Why doesn't he get national team minutes. The answer is simple, he just isn't good enough. By the way, if I said that his shot blocking is great, then I was mistaken, I think his shot blocking is pretty good. I have seen numerous times where gave up some weak goals on shots outside of the box where one would think he should have definitely had it.

He can hack it in MLS and he does well with RSL in that system where they have had some very good backlines with Olave, Borchers, in their prime etc but overall, again my opinion as a former GK, I would much rather have the Luis Robles, Sean Johnson, David Ousted, Bill Hamids of the world in MLS.

Again, matter of opinion. I don't think he is all that great. He is good GK, has done more with his tools then anyone else but I wouldn't pick him to be my GK.

The 18 for Chicago (Only classified by position, no predictions on starers)

GK: Johansen, Saunders
Defenders: Brillant, White, Hernandez, Iraola, Mataritta, Martinez
Midfielders: Pirlo, Mix, Poku, McNamara, Bravo, Ballouchy
Forwards: Villa, Taylor, Shelton, Mullins

Intersting to note that on the NYCFC app Iraola is listed as a midfielder

Reactions: SayWhat44
Kick off is at the same time as the tipoff of as the semifinal of the conference basketball tournament at my college. Decisions, decisions.

The 18 for Chicago (Only classified by position, no predictions on starers)

GK: Johansen, Saunders
Defenders: Brillant, White, Hernandez, Iraola, Mataritta, Martinez
Midfielders: Pirlo, Mix, Poku, McNamara, Bravo, Ballouchy
Forwards: Villa, Taylor, Shelton, Mullins

Intersting to note that on the NYCFC app Iraola is listed as a midfielder
Brilliant white is a paint not a defender !!!!!!

Reactions: Jock
Here's my preview of the upcoming match. We will do our best to post some stuff on twitter and perhaps YT live from Chicago.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Here is the injury report for New York City FC vs Chicago Fire:

New York City FC
  • Frank Lampard - QUESTIONABLE
  • Jefferson Mena - QUESTIONABLE
  • RJ Allen - QUESTIONABLE
  • Jack Harrison - OUT
  • Connor Brandt - OUT
Chicago Fire
  • Eric Gehrig - OUT
  • David Accam -QUESTIONABLE
  • Matt Polster - QUESTIONABLE

Predicted Lineup in a 4-3-3, midfield may be shaped differently

-------------Taylor--Vila--Shelton------
--------------TMac--Pirlo--Mix---------
--Mataritta--Brillant--White--Iraola--
--------Saunders (unfortunately)-------

Subs: Johansen, Mullins, Poku, Bravo, Hernandez, Martinez, Ballouchy

Poku, Mullins, and Bravo enter the game.

Reactions: Crh213
Predicted Lineup in a 4-3-3, midfield may be shaped differently

-------------Taylor--Vila--Shelton------
--------------TMac--Pirlo--Mix---------
--Mataritta--Brillant--White--Iraola--
--------Saunders (unfortunately)-------

Subs: Johansen, Mullins, Poku, Bravo, Hernandez, Martinez, Ballouchy

Poku, Mullins, and Bravo enter the game.
If PV considers Poku a midfielder, who can we use as a sub for either winger? Do we assume TT and KS both go 90? Does Mullins come in and shift Villa to LW if one of TT/KS need a sub? Does Gomez make the 18 with possible flexibility to play wing?

Why the fuck isn't it Sunday?!?!?!

If PV considers Poku a midfielder, who can we use as a sub for either winger? Do we assume TT and KS both go 90? Does Mullins come in and shift Villa to LW if one of TT/KS need a sub? Does Gomez make the 18 with possible flexibility to play wing?

I think there are a couple of options. For the LW, move Matarrita up and bring in Diego at LB. RW, Ballouchy has played there a bit as well. Additionally, I think Villa can be slid over to LW and Mullins in at CF, though I don't think PV necessarily wants to do that, but is an option.

Reactions: Viewfrom226

One option is Martinez in at LB and Matarrita pushes up. He's also used Ballouchy there some, but I assume that is just filling minutes in preseason.

Ultimately, you make the right point which is that we are going with two exciting, but unproven, guys on the wing and still don't really have any known quantities out there.

Unlike last season, the starting lineup is not in a lot of doubt, and it most likely will look like what LionNYC LionNYC posted above. Personally, I'd start Poku instead of TMac, but I like TMac and having Poku come off the bench is a great way to get that second goal and 3 points.

I actually think Poku would make an excellent winger with his speed and ability to cut and run at defenders, but he wasn't played there in pre-season, so I doubt we see him there on Sunday, even as a sub.

I'm interested in what Chicago will do. Accam, their leading scorer last year, has been out with an undisclosed illness. Maybe he plays but doesn't go 90. They've completely reworked the defense, with two new CBs out of Europe and Vincent at LB. It will be interesting to see Shelton run at him on Sunday. Also doubtful is their solid CDM, Matt Polster. Shipp is gone, replaced by this guy Goossens, who had a highlight reel goal in pre-season, but before that was going nowhere in Europe. Still, the Fire have played very well in pre-season.

Last edited:
For the LW, move Matarrita up and bring in Diego at LB.
One option is Martinez in at LB and Matarrita pushes up.
The issue I have with this is that when you bring in a sub at winger, you do it to infuse energy against a tired defense. Matarrita having already played 60+ minutes at LB and shifting up puts your new energy at LB. I don't think that creates enough advantage on offense and arguably weakens our defense.

All the other options I think are legit. Mullins in CF and Villa over. Poku in at RW. Ballouchy in at RW. These are all decent options. But none of them provide us with a pure winger coming in off the bench. Alas, we probably have to wait for Captain Jack to get healthy for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.