Home - 03/28 Sporting Kc

Nemec isn't great, but I have to imagine he would've done better on some of those crosses and given us more presence in the box. Nice performance from Poku. Wasn't impressed with Calle personally, I understand he's trying to win a place but the long shots were naive. Hopefully Kreis talks with McNamara about that ridiculous dive.

Overall I thought the performance was better than against Colorado, but lots of work still to be done in the final third. This was the first game where we really could've done with Lampard.

Ref thought it mighht have been a hand ball on SKC. He conferred with the assistant to get the call correct. Turned out it was a hand ball on NYCFC.

Actually should have been a free kick for SKC. I guess it was a drop ball, because he blew the play dead.
At the stadium there were two questionable calls. That one and another later where it looked like he pointed to the spot, the fans got up, and nothing happened. This was late, during stoppage time I think.

Nemec isn't great, but I have to imagine he would've done better on some of those crosses and given us more presence in the box. Nice performance from Poku. Wasn't impressed with Calle personally, I understand he's trying to win a place but the long shots were naive. Hopefully Kreis talks with McNamara about that ridiculous dive.

Overall I thought the performance was better than against Colorado, but lots of work still to be done in the final third. This was the first game where we really could've done with Lampard.
Calle needs to get his shit straight. Definitely has valuable talent to add if he does.

Agree that Poku looked good, and I think he has to take Jacobsen's spot of we expect to be anything more than an afterthought also ran in the east.

Disagree with everything regarding Lampard. I thought it was our best midfield performance against the best midfield we've faced.

Mullins was better than Nemec for me, as he wasn't a stand still target. His movement helped us actually have a second on the ball in the middle of the pitch.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
It's a good sign that an expansion team pieced together playing in its fourth game ever while missing five key players still was able to outplay an opponent. JK said after the game that in his experience it may take a full season for an expansion team to click. We are way ahead of the curve.

Reactions: Gene
Nemec's height was missed, as of course was the overall quality of Villa. Until Taylor came in, there wasn't much going on up top.

Watson-Siriboe was easily our best player. I hope that we see him at centre half unless/until he plays himself out of the job.

And Brovsky did better at right back than he had done at left back.

All in all, a pretty good performance in a narrow loss to a much better team.

I think Lampard would've given us a goal threat that Grabavoy etc. didn't. Diskerud and Mullins were getting closed down fast and weren't really getting the space to shoot, Lampard might have taken some of the pressure off.

Wow that was cold!
Nothing much on the field to help warm us up either!
Very slow to get going tonight again. All the enforced changes didn't help.
Brovsky took some time to settle at right back. He was awful first half hour continually giving away possession.
The second half seen a great improvement all round and was well impressed with Poku performance off the bench.

Reactions: Paul
Tough match tonight. 1st half was total shit. The team looked uninterested. 2nd half we showed a lot more intensity and played like we actually cared. The crowd was a bit like that too. Pretty flat at first (the early SKC goal didn't help matters) and then really got it going in the 2nd half as the energy and anticipation built up from all the near chances and missed calls by the ref. Poku, who has probably been my favorite player since preseason, looked good on the ball when he came on and brought a spark. My only criticism for him is that he had a great opportunity to shoot from the top of the box late in the game but passed it up. Could have been a late goal and that would have caused the stadium to go crazy. Everyone just seemed to have a ton of built up emotion as the game came to a close. Seemed to me like we wasted possession way too much tonight.

From a supporter standpoint, as I have said previously, I was a bit disappointed with my section (14A) during the 1st match, but tonight I really enjoyed it. We definitely gave SKC's goalie (Marin) a lot of shit during the 2nd half, like we did to Shuttleworth against the Revs but to a much larger degree tonight. Also, thanks to Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan for that pregame beer. I owe you one.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I don't understand how some of you think it was a good performance. Not sure what game you were watching, or what your standard level of play is, but that was a shit-show from start to finish. Some nice moments from Watson and Poku, but the team showed the same problems we saw against Colorado and Orlando. Not even sure Villa and Nemec would have made much of a difference today.

They have a lot of work to do. Right now this isn't a good team.

Last edited:
We spent maybe three minutes of 90 in the attacking third. Awful. Scoreless in 180 minutes is absolutely unacceptable.

Definitely more prepared for the weather than last time. It really wasn't that bad Out.

Reactions: jaycrewz
Just got back a bit ago. I don't think it was as bad an effort as some of you are making out. Maybe your expectations are too high. We were missing a lot of players tonight and I don't think KC looked much better than us just couldn't get it right in the final third. The thing I'm finding most frustrating is Mix. He doesn't really seem to be getting many touches in offensive areas he's tracking back and always seems to have the ball more in our own half or mid field at best.

How was it getting into the building tonight? Did they straighten out the problems with the metal detectors?
I went in at 6 and gate 4 was WIDE open. The gates closest to the subway are usually packed.

Reactions: Gene
Groin injury.

Field looking better tonight.

Did you find this out from David Villa's tweet or by some other means? I found it very odd that the club didn't make a single announcement about David Villa not starting / being available. I'm sure someone can come up with a better analogy but it's like the New Orleans Saints starting an NFL regular season game without Drew Brees as quarterback and providing no explanation.

Last edited:
two things:

1. The creation and finishing upfront is woeful without Villa. There just doesnt seem to be much cohesion and control in the passing game when hes not on the pitch. Same can be said for the midfield. I feel like teams played against our offense different when Villa was present. Its kinda like how a good 3-pt shooter in basketball will spread out the defense away from the basket. Villa seems to spread out the opposing defense because you must respect his dribbling and shooting ability.

2. YANKEE STADIUM NEEDS A NEW CAMERA FOR SOCCER. Seriously...I shouldnt be looking forward to away games because of how crappy the home TV camera is.

Reactions: Malatesta
Wow that was cold!
Nothing much on the field to help warm us up either!
Very slow to get going tonight again. All the enforced changes didn't help.
Brovsky took some time to settle at right back. He was awful first half hour continually giving away possession.
The second half seen a great improvement all round and was well impressed with Poku performance off the bench.
I'm still cold. That was a cold as I've ever been at sporting event. The asshole who picked my season tickets on the first row aisle of the second level deserves an ass whipping. (Yep. That was me.)

Speaking of, some literal scum and his tadpole scum occupied the 2 seats behind me, all decked out in scum gear. The little shit kept on doing this loud, bratty giggle every time a move broke down. He was the definition of a shitty kid. My wife was even ready to throw his ass over the rail. I finally had to turn around and ask the dad if it was genetic or if he taught his kid to be a prick. I usually don't get bugged by people at a match, but shitheads wearing their EPL gear to our match solely to be douche canoes deserve whatever is said to them.

I dont normally believe in hooliganism...but when you wear totally unrelated non-league team gear to a match just to troll the game...you deserve an ass kicking. How freaking dare someone wear EPL junk to an MLS match just to be douche bags and annoy people with poor behavior.

I swear, eurosnobs are really asking for it sometimes.

The only European gear I ever want to see in Yankee stadium during an NYCFC match is Villa, Lampard, or Man City kits. Thats it.

Reactions: cody childress