Home - 04/19 Portland

Guys, relax. We aren't fucked. I understand everyone's respect for the Portland Timbers given their first-class supporters culture and good front office, but I don't understand why anyone is afraid of them. The truth is that they have the same record as us (1-2-3; 6 pts) and will be without their top player (Diego Valeri). Plus, they have been terrible on the road. I think we can, and probably should, win tonight. We just need a loud crowd and to start fast and close out the game.

Guys, relax. We aren't fucked. I understand everyone's respect for the Portland Timbers given their first-class supporters culture and good front office, but I don't understand why anyone is afraid of them. The truth is that they have the same record as us (1-2-3; 6 pts) and will be without their top player (Diego Valeri). Plus, they have been terrible on the road. I think we can, and probably should, win tonight. We just need a loud crowd and to start fast and close out the game.
Their record doesn't count the fact that they have been highly competitive in the majority of their games.

From all the games I've seen they appear to be the better side than us. However, being the better team doesn't guarantee that they are going to win.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Their record doesn't count the fact that they have been highly competitive in the majority of their games.

And we haven't been competitive? We have had more possession in every match and have only lost by 1 goal in our 2 losses. Like someone else said, if we could close out matches (meaning specifically 85th minute on) we would have 11 pts and a 3-1-2 record.

If we play with the fire like last game, I think we can win this one. Better opponent, but the west to East trip is brutal on teams.

My lineup prediction:

---------wall st
Brovsky-KWS-wingert-calle
-----------aj-------------
------mix-poku-----
Shelton-nemec-taylor

Just posted on the r/nycfc subreddit. My guess at the lineup, assuming Villa/Williams/Hernandez are out:

Nemec-Mullins

Grabavoy-Jacobson-Diskerud-Shelton

Calle-Wingert-KWS-Brovsky

Maybe Jacobson behind the other three (4-1-3-2), that stuff is all pretty fluid though. Just taking a stab at the 11.

The fact that gives me hope about this side is our quality possession. Whenever you see a club struggling, but continue to hold possession, the results eventually wind up going their way! That should ring true with us, starting tonight!

And we haven't been competitive? We have had more possession in every match and have only lost by 1 goal in our 2 losses. Like someone else said, if we could close out matches (meaning specifically 85th minute on) we would have 11 pts and a 3-1-2 record.
Yeah. Whoever said that must be a smart guy. :)

Reactions: Paul
I'm guessing we will see this XI tonight (this is my prediction, not my first choice):

Mullins--Nemec
Grabavoy--Mix--Jacobson--Shelton
Calle--Wingert--KWS--Brovsky
Saunders