Home - 04/19 Portland

What was the attendance like at RBA Friday ? Just curious to keep tabs on how we're drawing against them. I'd imagine we're going to be a 3 to 5 K more for the year on average...

My nephew is 8 years old & he just started getting into soccer, has been playing for almost a year now. Anyways this weekend my brother (his dad) & I took him to the Red Bulls Game on Friday & then to last night's game so he would experience both teams, both stadiums, both atmospheres before picking a team to follow. The experience at Red Bulls was exciting for him, it was his first game so it was a great experience for him. However it was a dead atmosphere. No fans chanting, no one cheering, etc. He was ready to not go to our game bc he expected the same at Yankee Stadium. He went & had the time of his life. The atmosphere there last night was unbelievable despite the loss. He made his decision at the end of the night to follow NYCFC in his words "even though they lost, they really tried". Now I know this an opinion of a child & it might not hold a lot of validity but that was the impact of the stadium, the team's performance, and the fans' undying support through out the game on him. Yes, this team has issues & yes this was another upsetting loss but I have yet to leave a game feeling like I'm a part of a terrible club.

I know most of the recent posts are discussing our issues with our line-up but I'm throwing this in there to truly convey the atmosphere there last night.

The ref was terrible

I feel like MLS Refs generally hate to call fouls and absolutely don't give PK's unless they have to like they think Americans think it's cheap or something. Has there been a PK for or against us through 7 matches? I don't think so and I'd think that long stretch with none would be unusual world over.

My nephew is 8 years old & he just started getting into soccer, has been playing for almost a year now. Anyways this weekend my brother (his dad) & I took him to the Red Bulls Game on Friday & then to last night's game so he would experience both teams, both stadiums, both atmospheres before picking a team to follow. The experience at Red Bulls was exciting for him, it was his first game so it was a great experience for him. However it was a dead atmosphere. No fans chanting, no one cheering, etc. He was ready to not go to our game bc he expected the same at Yankee Stadium. He went & had the time of his life. The atmosphere there last night was unbelievable despite the loss. He made his decision at the end of the night to follow NYCFC in his words "even though they lost, they really tried". Now I know this an opinion of a child & it might not hold a lot of validity but that was the impact of the stadium, the team's performance, and the fans' undying support through out the game on him. Yes, this team has issues & yes this was another upsetting loss but I have yet to leave a game feeling like I'm a part of a terrible club.

I know most of the recent posts are discussing our issues with our line-up but I'm throwing this in there to truly convey the atmosphere there last night.
Basing your decision on fan experience is probably the best way to go. While it can change, it is likely to be less variable than team quality. RB is killing us right now on results but over his lifetime who knows. But that we have passionate fans and a great game atmosphere while performing poorly on the field bodes well for that side of things. C
Clearly, if you rank our fans against our players against our front office, the fans win. Collectively we've been killing it. The other two not to much.
Welcome to you nephew.

What was the attendance like at RBA Friday ? Just curious to keep tabs on how we're drawing against them. I'd imagine we're going to be a 3 to 5 K more for the year on average...

Yeah, compared to our crowds it looked empty but it was a Friday night game so attendance according to the fans sitting near me was very high that night. No energy though, even though their team was playing well & scoring goals.

I feel like MLS Refs generally hate to call fouls and absolutely don't give PK's unless they have to like they think Americans think it's cheap or something. Has there been a PK for or against us through 7 matches? I don't think so and I'd think that long stretch with none would be unusual world over.
There was one in the SKC match where it was called a penalty, but the linesman overruled it.

I cannot believe the flack Velasquez is getting. He was dribbling across the pitch, dragging defenders looking for a pass and NO ONE WAS RUNNING! Headless chicken my ass. Mullins and Shelton were standing there doing nothing. There were countless times Mullins was sitting between their centerbacks watching a teammate dribbling at him and he wasn't trying to run between them or give them an outlet behind Portland's fullbacks. Shelton was bent over and had his hands on his knees shortly after halftime. Velasquez play last night was exactly what this team has needed. Someone with the balls to go at someone and do it effectively.

On another note, the 433 looks to have given the team confidence and has created better football. Who would've thought the 433 would be better than the 442 :rolleyes:

Reactions: roxfontaine
I cannot believe the flack Velasquez is getting. He was dribbling across the pitch, dragging defenders looking for a pass and NO ONE WAS RUNNING! Headless chicken my ass. Mullins and Shelton were standing there doing nothing. There were countless times Mullins was sitting between their centerbacks watching a teammate dribbling at him and he wasn't trying to run between them or give them an outlet behind Portland's fullbacks. Shelton was bent over and had his hands on his knees shortly after halftime. Velasquez play last night was exactly what this team has needed. Someone with the balls to go at someone and do it effectively.

You must be watching the games upside down. Velasquez is not good. Last night he did squat. At one point in the second half they were attacking, and this guy busted a 180 and headed in the opposite direction killing any movement they were building. Everyone in my section yelled out WTF!!???!?!!?

Then there is that awful shot at goal where he completely missed it. At this level that is just unacceptable.

You must be watching the games upside down. Velasquez is not good. Last night he did squat. At one point in the second half they were attacking, and this guy busted a 180 and headed in the opposite direction killing any movement they were building. Everyone in my section yelled out WTF!!???!?!!?

Then there is that awful shot at goal where he completely missed it. At this level that is just unacceptable.
How about in extra time when he literally ran the ball into a defender when there was a TON of space but he found the one fucking guy not in a blue jersey within 20 yards and handed him the ball. I almost lost my fucking mind.

Dribbling across the field aimlessly with the ball ruins the formation and attack. While I do believe he is good in pinches attacking the goal, what you will see when he and Grabavoy get possession is that the movement stops. That is why Poku and Mix are so important and why it will be fun to watch Lampard and Shelton at the end of the season run onto passes from those two. Even Nemec, for all the flack he gets here, distributes the ball once he gets possession.

Dribbling across the field aimlessly with the ball ruins the formation and attack. While I do believe he is good in pinches attacking the goal, what you will see when he and Grabavoy get possession is that the movement stops. That is why Poku and Mix are so important and why it will be fun to watch Lampard and Shelton at the end of the season run onto passes from those two. Even Nemec, for all the flack he gets here, distributes the ball once he gets possession.
Velasquez can't go right. He only goes left. He had one shot where he went right and.... not so good. He has skill and is a good locker room guy. He has a lot of value on this team but he didn't play well last night. I don't want to make it sound like he's completely inept this is just your typical morning after a loss hang over verbal vomit.

On another note, the 433 looks to have given the team confidence and has created better football. Who would've thought the 433 would be better than the 442 :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think Sebastian is being run into the ground around here unfairly. He's certainly not a star but he's helping more than he's hurting. This team as a whole just doesn't run. So many times I was screaming for Khiry and Mullins to get to the last man and RUN on the counter. They just turn sideways and wait until the ball is already at them. It's painful to watch.

WOW!!! hold the fuck up. So since there isn't a thread for Chicago yet I figured I would post it here. Fridays game won't be nationally televised and it won't be televised on YES.... What is going on?

Reactions: Kjbert
Phew you're right sorry crisis averted. Sorry didn't see that haven't watched a game on univision this season.
Well it depends on your provider also. It's not available on Directv unless you subscribe to their most expensive package or get an entire slate of Spanish language stations for about $15 monthly. So I'll be doing something else Friday night.

Reactions: Kjbert