Home - 04/19 Portland

Brovsky was good on Sunday. He made several great tackles, including one in the 18-yard box in which he had to be perfectly precise in order not to concede a penalty. He also made a goal-line save after Saunders had come off his line to make a punch.

Brovsky has been playing well since he was been moved from left back to right back. And Sunday was his best game yet.

The magnificently mustachioed one (and the rest of the defence) is not one of this team's problems.

Is it no longer Sunday in your universe?

Have to say that the team has improved no end on keeping possession but lacking any real threat. Lacking a player to actually try something creative. Mullins tried hard but lacks any pace to get behind the Portland defense . Not a big fan of Brovsky but he actually performed well tonight, pulled off a few great last ditch tackles.
One thing i found very puzzling was when we were chasing the game and looking an equalizer, Kreis used his last sub in defense!!! Nemec hasn't set the place alight but surely get him on and get some balls into the box, of course it may have been forced by an injury.

Reactions: Tiger Jones
Is it no longer Sunday in your universe?

For the next half hour, yes. So I suppose that I could have said "tonight" instead of "Sunday".

I got into the habit of preferring to call the days by their names and of avoiding saying "yesterday", "last night", "today", "tonight", and "tomorrow" as a result of my extensive participation in the online Esperanto community, which is dispersed over practically all the world's time zones.

Temas do nur pri la alkutimiĝo.

Last edited:
When Frank gets here, need to revisit the 4-4-2 with Mix in the hole and Lampard and Shelton out wide. I think Poku can control a game from the CAM. Reminds me of Ross Barkley.

I'd like to bring up my favorite example one last time. Last year between May 25th and July 29th the New England Revolution earned ZERO points out of 24. They then started to get it together, then they got Jones and went on to MLS Cup.
I want us to play better, but i'm going to enjoy watching Jason Kreis put the pieces together until it starts clicking. It's going to happen.
Unfortunately Frank Lampard isn't Jermaine Jones. No silver lining here.

Reactions: BxLio91 and Paul
I really don't get the Brovsky hate. The guy plays his heart out for us. He's dependable. If something goes wrong, it's highly unlikely that it was his fault.

KWS on the other hand... Send him to Wilmington. He's really not good. ALWAYS in the wrong place.

Really disappointed in Khiry. He had an absolute sitter handed to him and the moment was too big for him.

Liked Patrick. He beat the back line often in the first half.

Everything else has been said.

Reactions: Tiger Jones
Win (eye's trembling) or lose (begin to cry), we will always (crying profusely) follow you (sobbing)...

Reactions: dex
1 point out of 9 against teams that are struggling is poor.

Kreis can think that the team is moving in the right direction but i think he is already on the clock.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
My grades:
Saunders 7
Steady shift, not tested often but came up huge on the breakaways. Nothing he could do about the goal.

Brovsky: 6
Best game for him in blue. Had two life saving tackles and got involved on offense. Hit the perfect cross that Mullins hit over the bar.

KWS 6
Much better game than last time. Played well in the air, made timely aggressive interceptions, and nearly set up a goal with his poku impression dribbling into the box.

wingert 5
Marshalls the defense, and is a leader, but missed badly on the clearance leading up to the goal.

Calle 8
Best player on the pitch. Stout in defense, gets up and plays nicely weighted crosses and diagonals into the box. Makes entire midfield better to have a really good fullback as an outlet. Can't wait to see him and mix together.

Jacobson 6
He's no mix with distribution, as he had some errant long passes and went back to making unforced turnovers. Kept his defensive bite from last game.

Ballouchy 5
Backpasses, and mostly invisible.

Grabavoy 5
So easily pushed off the ball. No fight to stand up to a challenge. Ran the midfield tonight then seemed completely out of gas at the end. The fitness level on this whole team is not where it should be.

Mullins 5
Missed a Wide open header from brovsky. Made some room to hit crosses then knocked them completely over the box.

Shelton 5
Created chances but looks hesitant all of a sudden. Had a breast of a chance from alvarez late and waited too long to shoot. Heavy touch all night caused him to lose possession in bad places.

Taylor 7
Was looking sprightly and like our best forward before he went down. Get well soon TT.

Subs

Velasquez 4
Paying percentage better to other team then ours. How do you miss the net by that much from that close?

Poku 6
Creative and involved, but didn't really have enough time to make an impact. Last night was a perfect opportunity for him to have started.

Alvarez 7
Looked really good, surprisingly to me. Ran the offense and sent through and absolutely beautiful pass to spring Shelton.

ohNO.jpg

eh I'm kidding - knew we'd have a rough start and there's a lot of games left, so I'm still optimistic

Grabavoy 5
So easily pushed off the ball. No fight to stand up to a challenge. Ran the midfield tonight then seemed completely out of gas at the end. The fitness level on this whole team is not where it should be.

I'm not sure if I only noticed it more in light of comments about him the last few games, but he went to ground probably ten times during challenges and lost the ball

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
This might be the wrong thread, but I am curious. Did any fans have issues with Security last night? From where I was you could see Security with a noticeable presence in front of the Timbers Army. Their chants weren't alway free of foul language. I didn't see any attempt by Security to quiet them down. A noticeable moment was in the 58' they sang the "Can you hear NY sing, I can't hear a fucking thing" chant.

As far as the play on the field, I agree with Tom in Ct, Grabavoy is getting pushed around, he's not getting calls, so the only response is to stay on your feet or distribute sooner.

Khiry knows his mind is too slow, he mentioned the Alvarez pass in particular as one he wish he could have back. He almost mentioned fatigue as a reason for his poor touch. Not an excuse from him, but recognition of where he said he needs to improve.

My take is that the team is at their best when they are attacking. It seemed that at times of the game, they were letting Portland hold the ball and backed off their pressure to conserve energy. That's when Portland was the most dangerous.

One of the hardest parts, especially for an expansion side, is the lack of consistency in the lineups. Having different players starting every game -- especially without those who you'd imagine would be better at overcoming new faces every match -- makes it very difficult to get moving in the right direction. The team needs its health and it needs to put its best 11 on the field no matter what. I'd rather have a Poku for 70 minutes and sub him when he gets gassed than to only run him half his energy off in a desperate 20 minutes at the end of the game.

I think we all expected Villa to be out, especially with a hamstring issue, but Mix not playing and Nemec up top not playing were really kind of a shock, especially with Kreis' comments on Mix. Still, you've got to overcome those losses.

The first half was very promising. Felt like we were attacking in Portland's third for 70% of the first half and the majority of the second, as well. Need some finishing off of the crosses, especially the Brovsky cross that hit Mullins right on his forehead. That was promising, though, since we are last in the league in crossing attempts. Not having Nemec really hurt us in that way; he'd have been useful in a game like this.

Another fucking deflected goal with Wingert simply not clearing a free ball 2 feet in front of him. What more can Saunders do?

Thoughts on last night:
YS had a great atmosphere again. Even noticed a new wrinkle - a 4 piece brass band on side behind benches. Nice.

Team was dominant in the first half. Possession, going forward, winning the ball back. That was without our 3 top players (including he who shall not be named). Find me an expansion team in history that you can take away their best 3 and they can still dominate a game. So there is promise.

Yes. We couldn't finish. But killer instinct is contagious. Last night there was no one to lead the way. So Shelton misses his 1-on-1. Ballouchy toe pokes straight at the keeper. Mullins heads it over the bar. Get 2 of our top 3 onto the field. Sign a 3rd DP. And I think a lot of these players that people are complaining about now start to look a lot better with better quality surrounding them and more competition for playing time.

Go blue. Can't wait for Friday and then back to the stadium on the 3rd.

My grades:
Saunders 7
Steady shift, not tested often but came up huge on the breakaways. Nothing he could do about the goal.

Brovsky: 6
Best game for him in blue. Had two life saving tackles and got involved on offense. Hit the perfect cross that Mullins hit over the bar.

KWS 6
Much better game than last time. Played well in the air, made timely aggressive interceptions, and nearly set up a goal with his poku impression dribbling into the box.

wingert 5
Marshalls the defense, and is a leader, but missed badly on the clearance leading up to the goal.

Calle 8
Best player on the pitch. Stout in defense, gets up and plays nicely weighted crosses and diagonals into the box. Makes entire midfield better to have a really good fullback as an outlet. Can't wait to see him and mix together.

Jacobson 6
He's no mix with distribution, as he had some errant long passes and went back to making unforced turnovers. Kept his defensive bite from last game.

Ballouchy 5
Backpasses, and mostly invisible.

Grabavoy 5

Mullins 5
Missed a Wide open header from brovsky. Made some room to hit crosses then knocked them completely over the box.

Shelton 5
Created chances but looks hesitant all of a sudden. Had a breast of a chance from alvarez late and waited too long to shoot. Heavy touch all night caused him to lose possession in bad places.

Taylor 7
Was looking sprightly and like our best forward before he went down. Get well soon TT.

Subs

Velasquez 4
Paying percentage better to other team then ours. How do you miss the net by that much from that close?

Poku 6
Creative and involved, but didn't really have enough time to make an impact. Last night was a perfect opportunity for him to have started.

Alvarez 7
Looked really good, surprisingly to me. Ran the offense and sent through and absolutely beautiful pass to spring Shelton.
This looks pretty spot on as usual. I will say I was a little disappointed that Poku didn't track back on defense when the goal was scored. Not saying the goal was his fault but you have to make an effort to get behind the ball especially when you have the fresh legs. That being said I think he will continue to get better the more minutes he gets.

Despite the lousy result, had a great time at the stadium last night. The band was good addition; I thought the supporters sections were more together, and much improved. I think we want them to be a good team " right now" and lose sight of the fact, that they are an expansion team, and that usually means being not quite such a good team. I think where Frank will help is in finishing, he's one of those players who finds the goal.

i liked attitude of team throughout the game. Calle has impressed me at LB and winning tackles as well. Final third lacking bite. thought it seems they are starting to sort of understand what kreis wants from them. Seemed like NY didnt run out of gas as i thought they would ( probably because portland didnt really go forward).

what does worry my is all these injuries and knocks getting picked up in training or games. and yes its annoying we arent winning games but hey this is an expansion team. I know there will be those that will be put off because of this negative streak but hey ill be here everyday like i have since day 1.

onto Chicago and try get points there :)

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene