Kreis Officially Out At NYCFC

This is modestly interesting. The club's Twitter account has not posted anything for more than 24 hours. The last tweet was the one announcing the firing.

Hiring Vieira would essentially bring the 'Boy City' stigma with NYCFC right back to the forefront.

Outside of the jersey being a complete clone of MCFC and Lampard arriving late, I feel like the MCFC influence has been mostly unobtrusive this year, and that's a good thing.

But its almost like with Vieira, he is coming to ask the CFG overlords where he can learn the ropes, and they are like 'why don't you coach our little toy club in New York'? He has too much of an MCFC connection.

The club would probably be better off taking anyone but Vieira. But it looks like its going to be him.
So says RBNJ. Guess we should all give up.

Everyone in the league is pissed and leveling accusations. So what? If I gave a flyingfuck about what you or Jason Doylackens said, I wouldn't have 4 season tickets and show up to 16 matches, weather be damned.

I would argue that folks like David Moyes, Alan Pardew and Diego Simeone have proven to be good managers with more limited resources.

I would bet on him winning a trophy in the future before we do. But I could see him seeing out his huge contract with us and then going to Seattle when Sigi is finally kicked out.

I keep hearing how world class our ownership is, but so far it's just been amateur hour since the very beginning. It's been short sighted decision after short sighted decision.
I couldn't agree more especially your comment on CFG. I was one of the few that were very happy they were the owners and I thought their soccer people would be top notch. So far they have been a joke.

Reactions: whill4 and Gene
For all of you individuals that think Kreis is such a bad coach and he should have had this team in the playoffs and in the running for MLS cup, look at what Adrian Heath has to say. A man who was in a similar position as Kreis with Orlando SC.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ian-heath-expansion-season-20151102-post.html

On the takeaways of what Orlando City did right and wrong in building the roster:

I think it’s very easy now to see what we should have done. I think the best quote was from Jason [Kreis] who said, ‘I never realized how difficult this was going to be.’ This is a guy who has played all his life in MLS and been coach of the year, who probably knows better than most the layout of it all. The one thing I was going to say to whoever gets the Atlanta job, whoever gets Miami, this is a far more difficult task than people ever imagined. And it starts from Day 1, because you don’t know anything about your players. Which is very unusual, that you take over a group of 25 players and you don’t know anything about them. You don’t know what makes them tick, you don’t know whether they’re good trainers, you don’t know whether they’re good game-day players. Running that gambit, which for me is tough because my relationship with my players is probably the most important thing, that first three or four months of getting to know people, getting to know what makes them tick, getting to know what I have to do [to get] more out of him Monday to Friday and more out of him Saturday, that was a challenge. We’ll be better for that.

That’ll be one thing we know before we even start next season. We all know there is going to be changes, but I know the group now. I know what I’m going to get out of Carlos Rivas, I know what to say to him to get him going; with Cristian Higuita, with Bryan Róchez, with Cyle Larin. All these guys, now I have a far better understanding of what they are about. They all, in return, probably know when I’m in a bad mood the minute I walk on the training pitch because they’ve worked with me. The way I work, that’s a really important component of that. So the least [number of] changes we can make, the better.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now we have to sit through the same process next year. New Coach, new system, new off season, with new players. Just JEFFING BRILLIANT CFG, Brilliant!!!!

If you truly think that you really don't see the big picture. I think in 10 years time we'll be talking about a few trophies won
I have to agree with beaucoup. So far what CFG has shown is that they have no idea how to keep a stable environment. I hope I am wrong but I agree with Beaucoup.

Adrian Heath had a worse roster than we did. And he performed better.

That's why Adrian Heath still has a job and Jason doesn't.
Are you kidding? Trust me when I say this as someone who has watched a lot of Orlando games, they had a much better roster top to bottom for most of the season. They had a better backline in Brek Shea and Collen, they had a world class midfielder the whole year in Kaka, and one of the best strikers in Cyle Larin not to mention more speed on the outside in a number of their south american players. Sure on paper you think Villa, Lampard, Pirlo, Mix, sound good but in reality those guys suck together. Orlando was the better team hands down.

By the way, Adrian Heath performed better? They missed the playoffs just like we did. The difference is that their ownership is tremendous and are not narrow focused. They know it takes time to build a winner especially in MLS. You can't take a magic wand and create a winner this league. Look at Bruce Arena when he got to LA, they wanted him out his first couple of years there.

Reactions: Classicist
Are you kidding? Trust me when I say this as someone who has watched a lot of Orlando games, they had a much better roster top to bottom for most of the season.
By the way, Adrian Heath performed better? They missed the playoffs just like we did. The difference is that their ownership is tremendous and are not narrow focused. They know it takes time to build a winner especially in MLS. You can't take a magic wand and create a winner this league. Look at Bruce Arena when he got to LA, they wanted him out his first couple of years there.

You are correct regarding the roster, but I judged JK on his lack of tactical acumen. His short comings were obvious.
He never learned from his mistakes and always took a defensive approach and we were rarely a cohesive unit in either defence or attack.

I cant comment on his man management, but his interviews and dissing of the DPs didn't paint a good impression, or one of a leader who commanded respect and authority.

It's wild to see so many people opining to do it the old fashioned MLS way. Do we really want to sit through 5-10 years of shitty football? I'm of the mind to get it right sooner rather than later. #COYBIB
I can't agree more. I hate the, I've watched MLS for 20 years, this is how it has to be done, argument.

In any industry, stagnant thinking is crushed by new ideas. MLS is ripe for that with the only-american-coaches-can-win, bunker and counter play style, over reliance on aggressively physical play.

And the "new ideas" are already employed in european football. Can't wait for next year.

Are you kidding? Trust me when I say this as someone who has watched a lot of Orlando games, they had a much better roster top to bottom for most of the season. They had a better backline in Brek Shea and Collen, they had a world class midfielder the whole year in Kaka, and one of the best strikers in Cyle Larin not to mention more speed on the outside in a number of their south american players. Sure on paper you think Villa, Lampard, Pirlo, Mix, sound good but in reality those guys suck together. Orlando was the better team hands down.

Adrian Heath's comments all make sense. However, while I didn't spend much time reading/hearing his interviews, I can assume he didn't repeatedly call out his players publicly like JK did? I assume there were no signs of a divide between coach and team? It seems likely that he has a solid relationship with his players, unlike what it appears JK may have had with his players. This is not about tactics and playoffs, it's about relationship and respect. Unfortunately, it appears that Heath and JK are apples and oranges in that regard. We likely will never know exactly what the dynamics were, but all signs point to that.

It's wild to see so many people opining to do it the old fashioned MLS way. Do we really want to sit through 5-10 years of shitty football? I'm of the mind to get it right sooner rather than later. #COYBIB

I'm caught between 'old fashioned MLS' and a seasoned box office winning coach.
In some aspects the season winner should be head and shoulders above any coach in the country, but they may struggle to adapt to a very different league than they are used to.
Whereas a forward thinking MLS coach with experience is a safer option, it may too hold us back ...a bit.

It's a difficult quandary.

Reactions: roxfontaine
This is all quite simple. Go back through every single post on this thread and preface it with one of these two statements.

A) Kreis totally has the support of the players.

OR

B) Kreis has completely lost the support of the players.

Any argument to keep Kreis combined with a belief in B is crazy. Any argument to fire Kreis combined with a belief in A is crazy.

So logic.

If B, then Kreis must go. If A, then Kreis must stay.

Whether CFG set him up for success or failure, or he won too little, or he criticized players too much, or, or, or.

Doesn't matter. Just follow the simple logic above.

I, for one, if I had to bet, would bet that he had lost the support of the players. I.e., B, therefore, #kreisout.
Well summed up. Though, I could listen to arguments for people to fire Kreis with a bit of a belief in A. Again, I think if he had the support of the players, he gets at least another year, but I could see why some people might not agree with that sentiment.

I couldn't agree more especially your comment on CFG. I was one of the few that were very happy they were the owners and I thought their soccer people would be top notch. So far they have been a joke.
Have they actually been a joke?

I mean, there have been some questionable decisions, this being one of them. But what else has shown they are a "complete joke"?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking the Lampard situation was poorly handled, a mistake, agreed. Helping to push Pirlo onto this team. Potentially a mistake, but I definitely see why they would want that to happen.

And now firing Kreis. Again, questionable decision, but I would hardly call it "a complete joke". There are rumors that he lost the locker room, and if that was indeed the case, then I'm not sure why anyone, even the biggest of Kreis supporters would still want him around. I think we need to take an honest wait-and-see approach to see who is hired next and what next steps are before deciding that our management is a complete joke.

Honestly, I think CFG has made several mistakes so far in this young franchise. They have some learning and growing to do and I hope they have already experienced a lot of that. I'm sure there is a TON to learn when managing a franchise in MLS where the rules are just so inherently different than what they are used to in the PL. Calling them "a complete joke" though, just seems like a hyperbole to the max (and I know, I know, this board is full of hyperboles)