Kreis Officially Out At NYCFC

Regardless of who's fault is was players v coach if the results aren't there the coach carries the can. Clearly from the club statement in the end there was no love lost between NYCFC and JK. Anyway what is done is done we move on. I just hope CR doesn't go or I'm looking for a new picture.

It's starting to look more and more like Kreis really did want to build around his RSL guys & not everyone in the organization wanted that. If that is the case it could be Reyna & Glick where down for letting him go if it meant they kept their jobs.
When Ned, w/ a broken toe, is rated higher than Poku, or any healthy player, it's obvious that rational thought has been tossed out the window in lieu of knee-jerk reactions and circle-the-wagon/save-my-ass decisions. The Wingert comment was just the final nail in the coffin for Glick and Reyna to realize Kreis was playing with about 35 cards in the deck.

Kreis had a plan. Use RSL alumni who knew his system to carry the team for the first half of the year until reinforcements arrived. Turned out they stunk. That's his fault. He wanted those guys. They didn't come through for him.

Admittedly new to MLS, but firing a guy after year 1 of an expansion team... why? Especially a guy who won elsewhere. I don't get it.

Kreis had a plan. Use RSL alumni who knew his system to carry the team for the first half of the year until reinforcements arrived. Turned out they stunk. That's his fault. He wanted those guys. They didn't come through for him.
maybe those guys were good/decent back then. The league has moved on. an A player back then is a B player now at best; So part of JK's fault, I am guessing, is not realizing how much more competitive MLS has become, despite his rhetorical service to that fact. This is actually good news for US soccer fans. I would like to see old hands (coach and players) fade and get defeated by new blood (not because of physicality). MSL quality/caliber should go up a notch every 2 years, washing out guys who used to be on A team. its cruel reality but it's the best for US soccer.

Relaying on guys from RSL as a 'safety by familiarity function,' again signifies Jk's cautious nature.
This league and our team is all about forward thinking, not backwards ''it worked before'' kind of thinking.

Reactions: Kjbert
Kreis should have gotten another year. The season was from ideal but I think a big reason for that was relying on the "late arrivers" to turn shit around in mid-season. And for that plan I think CFG is more to blame than Kreis. Well, I guess they can't fire themselves though...

Kreis should have gotten another year. The season was from ideal but I think a big reason for that was relying on the "late arrivers" to turn shit around in mid-season. And for that plan I think CFG is more to blame than Kreis. Well, I guess they can't fire themselves though...
Kreis stated before the season started that he was happy with the roster and didn't need the third DP until he saw how the team performed - he wanted to save the spot and adjust accordingly in the middle of the season. Yet, then in the middle of the season he starts chiming that mid-season players never pan out.

He can't have it both ways. I feel like his initial comments are more genuine because they were made without the stress of losing. His comments in-season are more triage to artificially keep expectations low since the masses had already concluded his initial roster was fiery garbage.

A fellow zerohedge reader?
i knew...but i have a penchant for dramatization. A fellow reader does not sound as juicy as Tyler Durden the team...btw, where did you get that JK picture? did you do some processing yourself? Now that he is gone, you may need a new picture next season?

Reactions: Gavin23
Lock this up. The Viera era has begun.
WOW.....no Capello? I am happy but feel slightly disappointed. Wish the new coach the best. But if he does not perform, I have no problem to say goodbye by the end of the season.

WOW.....no Capello? I am happy but feel slightly disappointed. Wish the new coach the best. But if he does not perform, I have no problem to say goodbye by the end of the season.
He was probably asking too much. I heard he was making north of $6 mil for Russia

He was probably asking too much. I heard he was making north of $6 mil for Russia
nah more than that, I am pretty sure. I remember he was first ranked among national coach pay...north of 10 if i remember it correctly. yeah that would be too much

Kreis stated before the season started that he was happy with the roster and didn't need the third DP until he saw how the team performed - he wanted to save the spot and adjust accordingly in the middle of the season. Yet, then in the middle of the season he starts chiming that mid-season players never pan out.

He can't have it both ways. I feel like his initial comments are more genuine because they were made without the stress of losing. His comments in-season are more triage to artificially keep expectations low since the masses had already concluded his initial roster was fiery garbage.
Not exactly.
Kreis and the team made a big deal about the need to avoid mid-season signings in July 2014:
New York City FC avoid midseason signings as Frank Lampard, David Villa join before 2015 season

Kreis was quoted then and there saying “For me, players that enter in the middle of the season are typical fails,” Kreis said. “The chances for those players to really contribute meaningfully in a second half of a season in MLS are very, very small.”
Then after Lampard deferred, Kreis was given the company hymnal and told what to sing in January 2015:
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...no-issues-with-lampard-situation?ICID=HP_BN_1

As I've previously stated, I thin Kreis needed to be fired but he also got jerked around by CFG.

I imagine (hope?) this thread is going to wind down with today's news. I don't think I've put my two cents in yet, so for posterity's sake:

• Obviously if Kreis lost the locker room, he should be fired.
  • Many of his matchday XI's were puzzling to knowledgeable outsiders like the illustrious posters of NYCFC Forums. We know soccer, but are not at training or seated in NYCFC/CFG offices.
  • Ditto for many of his substitutions.
That said, because of expansion roster/Lampard/5 new players in July/injuries/whatever else I'm forgetting, I don't think it would be reasonable to evaluate any manager against goals set before the season. Things did not go according to plan, and the evaluation should reflect the context.

I would have liked to see him get another year, albeit on a short leash. Somewhere upthread there's a comparison of Kreis' record to Bruce Arena's over a period of several years, and I consider that a more representative sample than a single weird, disappointing year with NYCFC. If he was still rolling out weird XIs in July 2016, and not getting results, and not better communicating the plan/process, then he should absolutely be fired.

Since they have already fired him I'm glad that (1) they did it now, and not in January/February/March and (2) that they had a replacement lined up prior to doing so (or at least locked it down quickly enough to make that plausible).

On to next year. #COYBIB.