MLS Cup Playoffs 2016

I find it improbable that LA, as the 3rd seed in the west with an inferior PT total, has a better shot to both reach the Cup and win it, over NYCFC. WTF analytics are they using?

Edit: I just saw it's an ESPN piece. That hack org makes up analytics for whatever sport they're covering to frame the story line they push - happens every year with college football.

Are they factoring Diaz' injury, and its affect on Dallas' chances, at all? Or how hot Seattle and DC both are at the moment?

Also, a real peave; in any other league when two teams come from the same town, they both get the town name followed by their nickname. NY Jets NYJ/NY Giants NYG, NY Yankees NYY/ NY Mets NYM, NY Islanders NYI/NY Rangers NYR, Chicago Cubs CHC/ Chicago Whitesox CWS, LA Clipppers LAC/LA Lakers LAL. So why do they use "New York" & "New York City FC"? You have to identify the first one as the Red Bull's (let's just forget the Jersey thing for a second). Otherwise, how does the average person know who the hell you're talking about if there are two teams that identify from New York? Either write NY Redbulls or NY*RB. (Sorry NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan im making a point). And either NY City FC or NYC or NYCFC.

Are they factoring Diaz' injury, and its affect on Dallas' chances, at all? Or how hot Seattle and DC both are at the moment?

Also, a real peave; in any other league when two teams come from the same town, they both get the town name followed by their nickname. NY Jets NYJ/NY Giants NYG, NY Yankees NYY/ NY Mets NYM, NY Islanders NYI/NY Rangers NYR, Chicago Cubs CHC/ Chicago Whitesox CWS, LA Clipppers LAC/LA Lakers LAL. So why do they use "New York" & "New York City FC"? You have to identify the first one as the Red Bull's (let's just forget the Jersey thing for a second). Otherwise, how does the average person know who the hell you're talking about if there are two teams that identify from New York? Either write NY Redbulls or NY*RB. (Sorry NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan im making a point). And either NY City FC or NYC or NYCFC.
Damnit gotta add another censor.

Agreed. I had to read down the whole list to figure out who they were talking about with the top line there.

Reactions: adam

Look how the Galaxy are stylized: LA Galaxy. When LAFC comes around, one will be able to differentiate them.

Appropriate naming style of both teams:

New York Red Bulls
NY Red Bulls
NY RB
NYRB (It autocorrected itself, lol)

New York City Football Club
New York City FC
NYC FC
NYCFC

Last edited:
So why do they use "New York" & "New York City FC"?
I have no evidence to back this up but I think the only reason RBNJ agreed to allow another team to invade their market of 20 years was if they could keep the New York name exclusively. It's been two seasons now and there probably hasn't been one single official time our team has been referred to just as New York. Wouldn't be surprised if the league threatened to fine announcers who accidentally omit the City part when mentioning us.

I have no evidence to back this up but I think the only reason RBNJ agreed to allow another team to invade their market of 20 years was if they could keep the New York name exclusively. It's been two seasons now and there probably hasn't been one single official time our team has been referred to just as New York. Wouldn't be surprised if the league threatened to fine announcers who accidentally omit the City part when mentioning us.

I don't think CFG would want us to be referred as just "New York." City must always be mentioned when referring to this club where one says or writes "City" in New York City FC or otherwise, or "C" in NYCFC.

In the same fashion, Red Bull GmbH will always want the name "Red Bulls" mentioned when referring to their team that plays in MLS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
I don't think the point adam adam is trying to make is actually getting rid of "New York" from the Red Bulls (as much as we all now they aren't NY and deride them for it). Its moreso about delineation to include "RB" or "Red Bulls" by the media so we know which team is which.

Reactions: adam and Vallos
I don't think CFG would want us to be referred as just "New York." City must always be mentioned when referring to this club where one says or writes "City" in New York City FC or otherwise, or "C" in NYCFC.
I absolutely love that "City" is part of the club's name, a unique aspect within the New York sporting scene. Also distinctive within CFG is that "City" for NYCFC is not a manufactured moniker. It is actually the city's name.

It's been two seasons now and there probably hasn't been one single official time our team has been referred to just as New York.

Sky Sports uses "New York" all the time, if I recall correctly.

FWIW, the team isn't planning to open the upper deck for a the playoff game (yet).

Reactions: adam