MLS Cup Playoffs 2016

Bradley and Jozy both booked. If they pick up a yellow in the first leg (assuming Tor wins today), do they miss the second leg?

I was just looking through the Playoff Disciplinary rules. In short, yes, two yellows before the MLS Cup result in a player missing their next match.

For all the details:

Playoff Disciplinary Guidelines
  • Yellow card accumulation thresholds are reset entering the MLS Cup Playoffs.
  • A player who reaches an accumulation threshold in the last 2016 MLS regular season match (e.g. 5th, 8th, etc.) is eligible for the MLS Cup Playoffs and is eligible for the first regular season match of 2017.
  • A player who receives a red card in his last 2016 MLS regular season match is suspended for the next match for which he is eligible including the MLS Cup Playoffs match or the first regular season match of 2017.
  • A player sanctioned by the Disciplinary Committee will have any corresponding suspension applied to the next match(es) for which he is eligible including a MLS Cup Playoff match(es) or the next season’s regular season match(es).

• Once the MLS Cup Playoffs begin and up until MLS Cup (when playoff yellow card accumulation will again reset), a player accumulating two yellow cards will be suspended for the next Playoff match for which he is eligible, except as detailed below (if a player’s club does not advance in the MLS Cup Playoffs, the suspension does not carry over to the 2017 MLS regular season).
  • A player who accumulates two yellow cards in any of the following matches is suspended for his next match: Knockout Round match, Conference Semifinal Leg 1, Conference Semifinal Leg 2, Conference Championship Leg 1.
  • A player who earns his second yellow card in the Conference Championship Leg 2 is eligible to play in MLS Cup.
    • For the avoidance of doubt, playoff yellow card accumulation resets entering MLS Cup.

• A player who earns two yellow cards in the same match is suspended for the next match for which he is eligible including MLS Cup.
  • In an instance where a player earns two yellow cards in the same match, neither yellow card will count against his playoff yellow card accumulation. This is different from the regular season.
  • For example, if a player earns a yellow card in the Knockout Round match and then two yellow cards in the Conference Semifinal Leg 2, that player would be suspended for the Conference Championship Leg 1 due to the red card/second caution but would remain on one yellow card for his accumulation total. If the player’s club does not advance in the MLS Cup Playoffs, the red card suspension will carry over to the 2017 MLS regular season.

• A player who earns a straight red card in the same match in which he previously has earned his second cumulative yellow card may be suspended for his next two MLS Cup Playoff matches.
    • For example, a player earns a yellow card in the Knockout Round match. He then earns a yellow card (his second cumulatively) in the Conference Semifinal, Leg 2 AND a straight red card (different from earning a second yellow card) in the same match. The player is suspended for the Conference Championship, Leg 1 (due to the red card) and is suspended for the Conference Championship Leg 2 (due to playoff yellow card accumulation).
    • However, if a player earns a yellow card in the Conference Semifinal Leg 2 and then earns both a yellow card (his second cumulatively) in the Conference Championship Leg 1 AND a straight red card in the same match, then the player is suspended for the Conference Championship Leg 2 (due to the red card) but is not suspended for MLS Cup as the yellow card accumulation re-sets entering MLS Cup.

• A player who earns a red card in any MLS Cup Playoff match, whether a straight red card or two yellow cards, is suspended for his next match (if this occurs in MLS Cup, then the suspension carries over to the first regular season match of 2017).

• A player sanctioned by the Disciplinary Committee will have any corresponding suspension applied to the next match(es) for which he is eligible including any MLS Cup Playoff match(es) or MLS Cup or the 2017 MLS regular season. In instances in which a player receives a yellow card in a match and the Disciplinary Committee acts to suspend the player for the offense, the yellow card will not count toward the player’s cumulative yellow card total.

Still a game. And Phi probably should have been awarded a PK.

Even though DC scares me, the best root is still to get Gio out of the playoffs. He's just frightening. I don't know how I could handle two playoff games of shaking every time Gio has the ball or takes a set piece. Come on Phi!

I was just looking through the Playoff Disciplinary rules. In short, yes, two yellows before the MLS Cup result in a player missing their next match.

For all the details:

Playoff Disciplinary Guidelines
  • Yellow card accumulation thresholds are reset entering the MLS Cup Playoffs.
  • A player who reaches an accumulation threshold in the last 2016 MLS regular season match (e.g. 5th, 8th, etc.) is eligible for the MLS Cup Playoffs and is eligible for the first regular season match of 2017.
  • A player who receives a red card in his last 2016 MLS regular season match is suspended for the next match for which he is eligible including the MLS Cup Playoffs match or the first regular season match of 2017.
  • A player sanctioned by the Disciplinary Committee will have any corresponding suspension applied to the next match(es) for which he is eligible including a MLS Cup Playoff match(es) or the next season’s regular season match(es).
  • Once the MLS Cup Playoffs begin and up until MLS Cup (when playoff yellow card accumulation will again reset), a player accumulating two yellow cards will be suspended for the next Playoff match for which he is eligible, except as detailed below (if a player’s club does not advance in the MLS Cup Playoffs, the suspension does not carry over to the 2017 MLS regular season).
  • A player who accumulates two yellow cards in any of the following matches is suspended for his next match: Knockout Round match, Conference Semifinal Leg 1, Conference Semifinal Leg 2, Conference Championship Leg 1.
  • A player who earns his second yellow card in the Conference Championship Leg 2 is eligible to play in MLS Cup.
    • For the avoidance of doubt, playoff yellow card accumulation resets entering MLS Cup.
  • A player who earns two yellow cards in the same match is suspended for the next match for which he is eligible including MLS Cup.
  • In an instance where a player earns two yellow cards in the same match, neither yellow card will count against his playoff yellow card accumulation. This is different from the regular season.
  • For example, if a player earns a yellow card in the Knockout Round match and then two yellow cards in the Conference Semifinal Leg 2, that player would be suspended for the Conference Championship Leg 1 due to the red card/second caution but would remain on one yellow card for his accumulation total. If the player’s club does not advance in the MLS Cup Playoffs, the red card suspension will carry over to the 2017 MLS regular season.
  • A player who earns a straight red card in the same match in which he previously has earned his second cumulative yellow card may be suspended for his next two MLS Cup Playoff matches.
    • For example, a player earns a yellow card in the Knockout Round match. He then earns a yellow card (his second cumulatively) in the Conference Semifinal, Leg 2 AND a straight red card (different from earning a second yellow card) in the same match. The player is suspended for the Conference Championship, Leg 1 (due to the red card) and is suspended for the Conference Championship Leg 2 (due to playoff yellow card accumulation).
    • However, if a player earns a yellow card in the Conference Semifinal Leg 2 and then earns both a yellow card (his second cumulatively) in the Conference Championship Leg 1 AND a straight red card in the same match, then the player is suspended for the Conference Championship Leg 2 (due to the red card) but is not suspended for MLS Cup as the yellow card accumulation re-sets entering MLS Cup.

• A player who earns a red card in any MLS Cup Playoff match, whether a straight red card or two yellow cards, is suspended for his next match (if this occurs in MLS Cup, then the suspension carries over to the first regular season match of 2017).

• A player sanctioned by the Disciplinary Committee will have any corresponding suspension applied to the next match(es) for which he is eligible including any MLS Cup Playoff match(es) or MLS Cup or the 2017 MLS regular season. In instances in which a player receives a yellow card in a match and the Disciplinary Committee acts to suspend the player for the offense, the yellow card will not count toward the player’s cumulative yellow card total.
929b97147c15a4d94ac734033c692f0972454993d506ad9e34d7e575a19a2223.jpg

Even though DC scares me, the best root is still to get Gio out of the playoffs. He's just frightening. I don't know how I could handle two playoff games of shaking every time Gio has the ball or takes a set piece. Come on Phi!
I'm sort of neutral as between the two. Both scare me for different reasons. Plus, I'm going to shaking for 180 minutes no matter what.

Or we can simply root for TFC to win with Bradley and Jozy both picking up their second yellows tonight.

I'd rather root for Bradley to get his second tonight so Toronto is lacking their defensive midfielder when we play at Toronto. Then I'd like Jozy to get his second on Sunday so he misses our playoff game and their missing an offensive weapon.

Away goals are key. Scoring them and preventing them.

Bradley and Jozy both booked. If they pick up a yellow in the first leg (assuming Tor wins today), do they miss the second leg?
If Bradley has a yellow that's all the more reason to let Mix antagonize him like he did last match - I've never seen such hostility between MNT teammates. MB would get a yellow immediately with Mix needling him.

(I kid sort of - I'm sure somebody else can piss MB off enough for a yellow, but Mix really did get under his skin)

Reactions: Gotham Gator