MLS Cup Playoffs - December 11 - Portland (Away)

K Kjbert
Possession maps broken down into thirds of the field in 15 minute increments. If Portland has a lot of possession in the middle third and our third in the last 15 minutes, then they are obviously behind and throwing the kitchen sink at us.

Reactions: Kjbert
K Kjbert
Possession maps broken down into thirds of the field in 15 minute increments. If Portland has a lot of possession in the middle third and our third in the last 15 minutes, then they are obviously behind and throwing the kitchen sink at us.
Fascinating

We’ve become a team that likes to win the ball as high up the field as we can, this starts at Taty pressing. So when we win those midfield battles and can possess the ball, the results go in our favor.
I like it and it makes sense. Would you then say you’d like to see James and Morales have more of the tackles and duels won than Callens and Chanot?

I like it and it makes sense. Would you then say you’d like to see James and Morales have more of the tackles and duels won than Callens and Chanot?
Has to be Sands/Morales. If Chanot/Callens are making lots of plays, it means Portland is probably getting to dangerous spots. If Sands/Morales are making plays, it means we're snuffing out their counterattack before it gets to our defensive third.

I think the weather is really going to favor Portland. It's easy to play quick in the rain because, even on turf, the ball will move a lot faster. That's advantageous, especially against Malte and Chanot, who aren't the quickest defenders in the league. A wet ball is harder to control and pass, which will take some of the flow out of our control possession-based style. It's also harder to save, so we should take our chances from outside the 18 like Chanot did and hope for a rebound.

How many games did we even play in the rain this season? I can't remember a single one. Maybe early on in the spring.

Has to be Sands/Morales. If Chanot/Callens are making lots of plays, it means Portland is probably getting to dangerous spots. If Sands/Morales are making plays, it means we're snuffing out their counterattack before it gets to our defensive third.

I think the weather is really going to favor Portland. It's easy to play quick in the rain because, even on turf, the ball will move a lot faster. That's advantageous, especially against Malte and Chanot, who aren't the quickest defenders in the league. A wet ball is harder to control and pass, which will take some of the flow out of our control possession-based style. It's also harder to save, so we should take our chances from outside the 18 like Chanot did and hope for a rebound.

How many games did we even play in the rain this season? I can't remember a single one. Maybe early on in the spring.

So a question for those who have seen a decent amount of Portland. Do they counter with quick passes or go over the top? If they go over the tip, then the wind and rain go against them?

And then a question for everyone…

If you didn’t get to watch the game and didn’t see the final score, if there was one stat or metric that you could look at to give you a sense of what happened in the game, what stat or metric would that be? I’m thinking time of possession, xG etc

For me, it would be a heat map of Maxi Moralez. If his heat map is very advanced into the opposition third, I think it means we’ve absolutely taken the game to them and put them under considerable pressure

Crosses.

Managers and squads may have rotated over the years, but the one time we had fewer crosses against Portland, we won. When we have more crosses, we lose.

Beyond that (potentially irrelevant) history, this could apply to this singular match. If the team is able to attack centrally in the final third it should evidence success bypassing Chara - a key to beating Portland no matter his age. Further, attacking centrally should hinder counterattack options If the team is consistently sending fullbacks deep to cross, I suspect it will create more vulnerabilities on the wing heading in the other direction, and NYCFC fullbacks are definitely weaker than NYCFC centerbacks. Basically, can NYCFC go at them or will they be forced to go around them?

That noted, the two biggest goals against New England and Philadelphia came from crosses from Gudi, so what do I know?

• Wow
Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
I assume it's because with xG, you could have just two really good shots that skew it to a huge number, whereas the remaining 84 minutes of the game areall back-foot, or portland just failing to get good shots.
No. Earlier mgar posted an article that explained that average xG was the one most predictive factor for when road teams win. Just thought he would connect back to it for pure synchronicity if not for belief.