MLS - February 27 - LA Galaxy (Away)

Ah mgarbowski mgarbowski, basically during warm ups of a game at YS a Galaxy player kicked the ball and it murdered a pigeon on the field. Some people took it personal and that’s why there is a pigeon statue on the goal post near the SS

Ah mgarbowski mgarbowski, basically during warm ups of a game at YS a Galaxy player kicked the ball and it murdered a pigeon on the field. Some people took it personal and that’s why there is a pigeon statue on the goal post near the SS
Lol. Ever since the idiots on the Toronto police decided to beclown themselves by arresting Dave Winfield for accidentally hitting a seagull with a thrown ball I’ve decided that my best and most charitable approach is to ignore efforts to make a big deal out of such accidents. If I had remembered that’s what this was I would not have said anything. Carry on.

Parks should have a great year, but that was rough. On the road, clear and take the point.

Playoff success aside, that is 3 *very* late goals in the last 4 games. Not great, Bob.

Also, after a loss in those kits, can we retire them?

Reactions: Kjbert
Shit performance by both us and the ref.

We should have been sharper than the Galaxy and been able to control possession. We were extremely sloppy.

Keaton, blast the fucking ball upfield if you don't have a passing option!

How they weren't down to 10 men and give up a penalty on Araújo's choke of Chanot is beyond me.

Furious right now.

How they weren't down to 10 men and give up a penalty on Araújo's choke of Chanot is beyond me.

Furious right now.

Exactly. This is the exact reason that we have VAR. I remember when Kaka playfully slapped a guy in the face and got sent off, this was in the run of play and kept Chanot from following the play. Textbook. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
tough loss at the death, but it's one game and we didn't really deserve to win based on how we played.

hopefully, we can end the road trip with 3 points in vancouver before we begin our home stand (with a trip to guatemala thrown in)

I'm never one to get too upset after a loss on Opening Day, but that was frustrating. Definitely didn't play up to our capabilities. Just a bad moment for Keaton. We'll be fine this year, though the fixture congestion is going to be a challenge as long as we're in CCL. Definitely needed more from a lot of guys.

Reactions: Shwafta and Kjbert
Keaton looked rusty for his whole shift. Almost got away with it.

a point would have been nice but a result in CCF and 3 points at Vancouver would take away the sting of today.

I'm never one to get too upset after a loss on Opening Day, but that was frustrating. Definitely didn't play up to our capabilities. Just a bad moment for Keaton. We'll be fine this year, though the fixture congestion is going to be a challenge as long as we're in CCL. Definitely needed more from a lot of guys.
Really not trying to reject your thought process, but what congestion are you concerned about? I understand CCL on weekdays but I’m pretty sure our mls schedule is mostly all weekend games with one or two midweek regular season games. Last year it felt like the entire league played most every Wednesday? I guess throwing in Campanoes cup and open cup it starts getting a bit hairy but still seems less crazy than last year

Reactions: mgarbowski
Going to rant first and I’ll come back later with a review

Tayvon Gray is NOT a good possession player. He gets the ball. He passes it backwards. Sometimes he passes it to a teammate. Sometimes he doesn’t. There’s a reason yoire always getting the ball Tayvon. The other teams wants you to have it

Acevedo isn’t any better today than he was 2 years ago. Big drop off from James. Total inability by him to play between the lines and play two passes ahead.Happy to hear that they think Keaton will be 90 minutes fit by April. He completely changed the game offensively when he came in.

Talles Magno put in another miserable shift. If the kid doesn’t want to be playing at this level, ship him back to Brazil. At least with Medina, you got a great defensive shift and the occasional corner.

Heber…oof. How many sitters is that missed since his return? If Taty leaves in the next 21 days, I don’t know where the goals are coming from.

Malte gets a pass for the first 60 minutes because he had to shadow Costa. But he wasn’t any better after that.

Really not trying to reject your thought process, but what congestion are you concerned about? I understand CCL on weekdays but I’m pretty sure our mls schedule is mostly all weekend games with one or two midweek regular season games. Last year it felt like the entire league played most every Wednesday? I guess throwing in Campanoes cup and open cup it starts getting a bit hairy but still seems less crazy than last year

I'm talking about CCL. Going LA-Vancouver-Hartford-NYC-Guatemala-NYC between now and March 19 is a lot. That's seven games between today and March 19, and I'm not even counting the Round of 16 games against Santos. It's a lot. It's not a long-term problem because CCL is over by May, but this is a crazy way to start a season.

Reactions: Vallos and JCMore
I think we need to get more out of Andrade… it seems like he doesn’t get himself into good positions to succeed and needs to be a bit cleaner 1v1

Heber is a shadow of the “savage in the box” that he was two years ago. Woof on that chance to tie with two minutes left.

so much for giving the team a pass for a year cause they won MLS cup :)

We didn't play well as a team. Some players had a particularly poor game (gray, malte, talles). But it's just the season opener and we lost at the death. Not like we got humiliated or anything.

I thought Thiago did pretty well when he came on. He's not great defensively, but he gave us some offensive threat going forward, which is more than what Talles did. Talles just seemed a little slow today. But that seemed to be the case for everyone. A symptom of not being home in over a month? Perhaps.

Parks looked great in his limited minutes. His influence was clear and he controlled the midfield and the ball much, much better than acevedo ever could. I don't think acevedo is ready for this level and from what I can see, in his 2 years at the club, he has not improved a whole lot with his weaknesses (imho - playing too slow, not physically strong, and poor decisions). But back to Parks, he'll need time to regain his sharpness as well. His rust is apparent but still miles ahead of Acevedo. If Parks isn't ready for 90 yet, I'd prefer to see Zelalem there.

Heber missed, but give the guy a break. He hasn't played consistent minutes in what.. nearly 2 years? He'll need time to regain his sharpness.

Biggest things for me is how much we missed having Sands. Our wing backs were unable to go forward today and we played more long balls than we probably should have. Our intensity levels seemed down a few notches, which was evident in how we pressed and played forward. After we went down a goal, the way we attacked and move were night and day. If we had played like that the entire game, it would have been 3 points.

last but not least, i don't care what anybody says - those refs were homers today. calls were clearly in LA's favor and cards not being given for... what reason? should have been a clear red to araujo. prove me wrong!

Club gets a pass from me. Ronny gets a pass. Certain guys like Taty and Maxi, the CBS, Sean Johnson - all multi year passes.

But some guys just aren’t good or don’t put in a shift. Unacceptable.

Yes, I can talk about the refereeing or player performances but it was nice being at a game again and the weather was beautiful in LA today. One note of context on today as I head to the airport…

I noticed that too. You'd think the extra competitve games would have been an advantage... but for whatever reason, it seems to have tired us out? maybe why we weren't at our usual level of intensity.

Reactions: Sabo and Kjbert