Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc

CJPdFtDUEAAjNzl.jpg

Someone please tell me we will be able to purchase this shirt !!

Reactions: LionNYC and Kjbert
What does this signing (and Lampard ) mean for your current CMs? Will at least one of them be leaving?

What does this signing (and Lampard ) mean for your current CMs? Will at least one of them be leaving?
I believe we will see at least one player go on a full season loan. We do have some younger guys that don't make the bench week in and week out so prob one of them and our starters (McNamara/grabavoy/ballouchy) sharing playing time based on form.

I believe we will see at least one player go on a full season loan. We do have some younger guys that don't make the bench week in and week out so prob one of them and our starters (McNamara/grabavoy/ballouchy) sharing playing time based on form.
I wouldn't be surprised to see McNamara or Khiry go out on loan. Both young players showing some promise that are in a bit of a logjam right now.

Reactions: marky365

This is a cracking signing for the club - but that midfield three! Be still my beating heart.

In my opinion Lampard has to take the number 10 role (he'a a pure goalscoring midfielder) with Pirlo pulling the strings and Jacobson holidng. Don't know much about Mix but looks like he should be able to play wider in midfield to support Villa-Lampard?

What do you think of this lineup?

4-1-3-1-1: Saunders - Iraola, Facey, Tefu, Angelino - Jacobson - Diskerud, Pirlo, McNamara - Lampard - Villa

Lampard will drop back into CM on defense and bomb forward in attack, his strength being the late run into the box.

Last edited:
I agree with Doc. T-Mac isn't going anywhere. Connor Brandt and Sebastian Velasquez are my picks to go out on loan.
Alverez also because we only have 11 international spots and we may need his.

I think you are going to still see a lot of Shelton and McNamara still. Less of Grabavoy. Probably a lot less of Poku as well.

In my opinion Lampard has to take the number 10 role (he'a a pure goalscoring midfielder) with Pirlo pulling the strings and Jacobson holidng. Don't know much about Mix but looks like he should be able to play wider in midfield to support Villa-Lampard?

What do you think of this lineup?

4-1-3-1-1: Saunders - Iraola, Facey, Tefu, Angelino - Jacobson - Diskerud, Pirlo, McNamara - Lampard - Villa

Lampard will drop back into CM on defense and bomb forward in attack, his strength being the late run into the box.
You probably will see Mix playing out wide, but I'm not altogether confident that Villa as a lone striker is good for him.

I still think you need to see a very, very narrow 4-1-2-1-2. It does Villa justice by giving him a strike partner, meaning he has to focus less on bringing the midfielders into the attack and can focus more on poaching goals. It's also more comfortable for the guys who are already there, as that's what you've been playing.

If Lampard's legs are there, the midfield diamond should look like this --

-------Tommy Mac
Lampard ---- ------Mix
------------Pirlo---------

This is a lineup that gives us the most attacking talent while still keeping guys where they're comfortable playing. Because of how narrow the field is, we'll have to worry less about the big switch, keeping Pirlo and Lampard a little less tired - they don't need to follow the ball as much. You've also got more talent of working the middle of the pitch in short space, which, again, takes advantage of the smaller field.

It still allows you to play Villa and Mullins, which has been our best strike combination to date.

The defense is shaky, for sure - but if we're adding Tefu, Angelino, and Iraola, that should help the defense tremendously - we don't really need a destroyer back there in the Kreis 4-4-2 diamond, anyway.

You probably will see Mix playing out wide, but I'm not altogether confident that Villa as a lone striker is good for him.

I still think you need to see a very, very narrow 4-1-2-1-2. It does Villa justice by giving him a strike partner, meaning he has to focus less on bringing the midfielders into the attack and can focus more on poaching goals. It's also more comfortable for the guys who are already there, as that's what you've been playing.

-------Tommy Mac
Lampard ---- ------Mix

This is a lineup that gives us the most attacking talent while still keeping guys where they're comfortable playing. Because of how narrow the field is, we'll have to worry less about the big switch, keeping Pirlo and Lampard a little less tired - they don't need to follow the ball as much. You've also got more talent of working the middle of the pitch in short space, which, again, takes advantage of the smaller field.

It still allows you to play Villa and Mullins, which has been our best strike combination to date.

The defense is shaky, for sure - but if we're adding Tefu, Angelino, and Iraola, that should help the defense tremendously - we don't really need a destroyer back there in the Kreis 4-4-2 diamond, anyway.

Signing the two full-backs means they are likely to provide that width out wide as well, especially if you're going to start dominating games possession-wise. It's an exciting team!

I want to find out how many spots we have and how many are used because I really hope this Tefu Mashamaite signing happens.

Edit: We have 9 slots and 4 are used. Villa, Lampard, Nemec and Poku.

Reactions: marky365

-------Tommy Mac
Lampard ---- ------Mix

TMac is solid, but I'd rather see this.

------------Poku
Lampard -----------Mix

Poku has shown that he can play as an attacking mid, let him do it and see what happens. This midfield gets me all hot and bothered.