Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc

I want to find out how many spots we have and how many are used because I really hope this Tefu Mashamaite signing happens.

Edit: We have 9 slots and 4 are used. Villa, Lampard, Nemec and Poku.
Where are you getting your info? That is wildly different than anything I have ever seen. Pretty sure we have 10 and Poku is not one of them.

Reactions: gbservis
Where are you getting your info? That is wildly different than anything I have ever seen. Pretty sure we have 10 and Poku is not one of them.

Wikipedia and this. There are 160 total slots for the league and they are divided evenly; so we have 8 by default. The slots can be traded however and we got one from DC for allocation money to make 9. I'll look around to see if we got another one from somewhere.

Rules breakdown here.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I will raise hell.

I think we are going to play with 5 midfielders as we have been doing of late. If Lampard is your 10, I think Poku has shown to be a terrible wide player. I absolutely love the guy and am intrigued by his talent. But he can't play wide left or right. He's a central player. Better chance of seeing Ballouchy or McNamara wide left. In a perfect world, Lampard/Mix play wide in the formation with Poku as a 10 or False 9. Unfortunately, I think Frank will play as your 10.

This is only a problem on July 26th.

I think we are going to play with 5 midfielders as we have been doing of late. If Lampard is your 10, I think Poku has shown to be a terrible wide player. I absolutely love the guy and am intrigued by his talent. But he can't play wide left or right. He's a central player. Better chance of seeing Ballouchy or McNamara wide left. In a perfect world, Lampard/Mix play wide in the formation with Poku as a 10 or False 9. Unfortunately, I think Frank will play as your 10.

This is only a problem on July 26th.

I concur. Poku needs to play in the center, and attacking. He's just a damn beast. But you're right, they will most likely make Lampard the 10. It will be shame if Poku sees more bench time because of this.

Reactions: Kjbert
Tommy Mac's been in our best XI so far. I know his minutes will drop a bit, but I don't know that it'll be enough to send him off. I really think we'll need him.
Agreed. I guess I'm thinking about it with a mix of now and future. For example, I don't think sending Pablo Alvarez or Ballouchy, or any veteran players out on loan helps us in any way besides relief of cap space.

Whereas sending Mullins, Khiry, Poku, or McNamara out on a loan where they get constant first team minutes would pay dividends as they bring that experience back. That said, I'd love to have all 4 of those guys on our bench ready to come in. So in my mind, its a bit of a balance to who you would send out on loan versus keep on the bench.

Is it worth to keep someone like Khiry on the bench for him to jump in for 10-20 min stretches every other game or so (if that with how crowded our midfield is)? Or is it more beneficial to send him somewhere where he can get some first team reps and serious minutes and develop a bit, then come back next year with some additional experience?

I guess I'm just spitballing here, but those are kinda my thoughts.

Reactions: roxfontaine
Agreed. I guess I'm thinking about it with a mix of now and future. For example, I don't think sending Pablo Alvarez or Ballouchy, or any veteran players out on loan helps us in any way besides relief of cap space.

Whereas sending Mullins, Khiry, Poku, or McNamara out on a loan where they get constant first team minutes would pay dividends as they bring that experience back. That said, I'd love to have all 4 of those guys on our bench ready to come in. So in my mind, its a bit of a balance to who you would send out on loan versus keep on the bench.

Is it worth to keep someone like Khiry on the bench for him to jump in for 10-20 min stretches every other game or so (if that with how crowded our midfield is)? Or is it more beneficial to send him somewhere where he can get some first team reps and serious minutes and develop a bit, then come back next year with some additional experience?

I guess I'm just spitballing here, but those are kinda my thoughts.

Usually I would agree that sending Mullins, Khiry, Poku, or McNamara out on loan to get experience would be a decent move but not with our current team. I'd much rather have all 4 of those guys at practice everyday learning from Lamps/Pirlo/Villa while they are here, even if some of them see little or no game time. Its like they all just enrolled in soccer graduate school with some of the best professors in the world.

I think Pirlo is going to help Villa score even more goals. The no look passes, heel flicks and other fancy moves are unexpected by most the players on our team. When Villa does a tricky pass most of them aren't in position for it because they dont make the world class runs. With Pirlo he'll be able to do the tricky passes for runs that Villa will be making.

I want to find out how many spots we have and how many are used because I really hope this Tefu Mashamaite signing happens.

Edit: We have 9 slots and 4 are used. Villa, Lampard, Nemec and Poku.

We definitely have more than 4 slots used, and Poku has a green card, so he isn't one of them.

Reactions: SayWhat44
We definitely have more than 4 slots used, and Poku has a green card, so he isn't one of them.
International players:
Villa (Spain)
Lampard (England)
Pirlo (Italy)
Alvarez (Spain)
Johansen (Norway)
Calle (Colombia)
Nemec (Slovakia)
Iraola (Spain)

Possible spots depending on loan info:
Facey (England)
Angelino (Spain)

Usually I would agree that sending Mullins, Khiry, Poku, or McNamara out on loan to get experience would be a decent move but not with our current team. I'd much rather have all 4 of those guys at practice everyday learning from Lamps/Pirlo/Villa while they are here, even if some of them see little or no game time. Its like they all just enrolled in soccer graduate school with some of the best professors in the world.
Makes sense. Good point.

International players:
Villa (Spain)
Lampard (England)
Pirlo (Italy)
Alvarez (Spain)
Johansen (Norway)
Calle (Colombia)
Nemec (Slovakia)
Iraola (Spain)

Possible spots depending on loan info:
Facey (England)
Angelino (Spain)

Remember that people with Green Cards don't count against the limit. Not sure that makes a difference for anyone on the list, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Remember that people with Green Cards don't count against the limit. Not sure that makes a difference for anyone on the list, but it's worth keeping in mind.
My understanding is "aliens with extraordinary abilities" can receive Green Cards.

Of course no one knows who's international and who isn't.

Has Pirlo really had an apartment in NYC for a few years like the earlier rumors stipulated? If he has he may actually not count as an international spot, though I have no clue of immigration law.

Has Pirlo really had an apartment in NYC for a few years like the earlier rumors stipulated? If he has he may actually not count as an international spot, though I have no clue of immigration law.
That would be some gaming of the system lol

When Villa does a tricky pass most of them aren't in position for it because they dont make the world class runs. With Pirlo he'll be able to do the tricky passes for runs that Villa will be making.

Agreed. Villa is constantly undone by being surrounded with players who don't think as fast as he does. Both Lampard and Pirlo should help this situation a lot.

Reactions: The Toe

Team said he is waiting for his P1 visa, so he is def an international.

"The P1 visa is applicable to aliens entering the United States to perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete, individually or as part of a group or team, at an internationally recognized level of performance."

Team said he is waiting for his P1 visa, so he is def an international.

"The P1 visa is applicable to aliens entering the United States to perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete, individually or as part of a group or team, at an internationally recognized level of performance."

booo. Killing my dream.