Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc

Has Pirlo really had an apartment in NYC for a few years like the earlier rumors stipulated? If he has he may actually not count as an international spot, though I have no clue of immigration law.

In virtually every civilised country in the world, you have to not only own property in a foreign country but live in it more than X months in a year (usually at least 6) in order for it to count as time spent as a resident.

Did anyone else happen to catch the Sports segment on NY1 tonight? I caught Kries speaking at the press conference today, and Phil Andrews said Pirlo should be starting on the 27th. Um.

Reactions: Kjbert
Did anyone else happen to catch the Sports segment on NY1 tonight? I caught Kries speaking at the press conference today, and Phil Andrews said Pirlo should be starting on the 27th. Um.

Pirlo said he's going on vacation to Ibiza with his family but will be available to start training on July 21

Reactions: Kjbert
Pirlo said he's going on vacation to Ibiza with his family but will be available to start training on July 21
We've all been there. Starting a new job but already have something planned a few weeks or months in advance.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
Who would want to go to Ibiza?

Reactions: NickA
International players:
Villa (Spain)
Lampard (England)
Pirlo (Italy)
Alvarez (Spain)
Johansen (Norway)
Calle (Colombia)
Nemec (Slovakia)
Iraola (Spain)

Possible spots depending on loan info:
Facey (England)
Angelino (Spain)
Both Facey and Angelino are taking up international slots. We are using 10 to have these, but I can't remember where the 10th one came from. 9th was from DC.

Both Facey and Angelino are taking up international slots. We are using 10 to have these, but I can't remember where the 10th one came from. 9th was from DC.
Does anyone know how loans affect International spots?

Also FWIW ive been told Poku has a green card and is not taking up a spot.

Loaned in players count as internationals just like owned players. Philly has a loaned in Intern'l.

And Poku wasn't on your list so I wasn't including him. I agree Green cards excempt you.

Reactions: NYCFCfan

Here's how it works.

MLS makes and leaks "rules" to "reporters". OCD fans then apply "rules" to their teams with effort levels that could have earned them all PhDs were they working on anything of societal value.

Teams then discover "opportunities" that lead Blatter, I mean Garber, to leak new "rules" to same old "reporters" and the cycle repeats itself.

Here's how it works.

MLS makes and leaks "rules" to "reporters". OCD fans then apply "rules" to their teams with effort levels that could have earned them all PhDs were they working on anything of societal value.

Teams then discover "opportunities" that lead Blatter, I mean Garber, to leak new "rules" to same old "reporters" and the cycle repeats itself.
Guilty as charged.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Here's how it works.

Sounds like a good plan to keep people engaged and interested.

This TAM thing is awesome. People all sweating the cap need to relax and consider that the "cap" is already basically a floor. Mechanisms to remove players worth being paid more than the cap figures allow and forcing money into the league quality are brilliant. You're looking at an additional $10mm invested into player wages in the next 5 years (more with expansion) just on the basis of this single mechanism.

As others have noted, making minimum salaries higher and wasting money on a higher cap is a shitty proposition for the league and U.S. players. Hell, other than Mix, we don't have an American I'd pay 6 figures for.

And it seems pretty obvious to me that this isn't the Jones situation. This is something likely everyone knew was coming. Pinning or crediting too much of any of this or other more-Jones-esque decisions to Garber is just kidding yourself. The owners make the decisions. Does he have ideas? I'm sure. But nothing like this gets done in this league without most of the owners agreeing to it. Go read about the unfairness of Dempsey's signing. Shit happens because the owners want to make the league better and seize opportunities. To expect complete clairvoyance as to what mechanism will be needed to meet a new opportunity to improve the league is unreasonable.

You can't demand of any team that they release their transfer budget. No reason to keep expecting it from MLS. It's self-defeating, bad business.

Sounds like a good plan to keep people engaged and interested.

This TAM thing is awesome. People all sweating the cap need to relax and consider that the "cap" is already basically a floor. Mechanisms to remove players worth being paid more than the cap figures allow and forcing money into the league quality are brilliant. You're looking at an additional $10mm invested into player wages in the next 5 years (more with expansion) just on the basis of this single mechanism.

As others have noted, making minimum salaries higher and wasting money on a higher cap is a shitty proposition for the league and U.S. players. Hell, other than Mix, we don't have an American I'd pay 6 figures for.

And it seems pretty obvious to me that this isn't the Jones situation. This is something likely everyone knew was coming. Pinning or crediting too much of any of this or other more-Jones-esque decisions to Garber is just kidding yourself. The owners make the decisions. Does he have ideas? I'm sure. But nothing like this gets done in this league without most of the owners agreeing to it. Go read about the unfairness of Dempsey's signing. Shit happens because the owners want to make the league better and seize opportunities. To expect complete clairvoyance as to what mechanism will be needed to meet a new opportunity to improve the league is unreasonable.

You can't demand of any team that they release their transfer budget. No reason to keep expecting it from MLS. It's self-defeating, bad business.

The league has shown a willingness to invest in themselves, sometimes to the detriment of the cheaper owners.

Columbus, Colorado and Philadelphia aren't growing the league. They're the Clippers and Sixers of MLS.