Poku Ready To Leave?

Dont know if repost...but it is a interesting point now. two games and not even bench plus mendoza getting minutes already. .....not because wynalda tweeted stuff.
I think Mendoza getting immediate minutes or more attributable to our lack of depth at the wing.

I know several people here want to see Poku playing on the wing, but I think its becoming clear that PV sees him purely as a midfielder.

I think Mendoza getting immediate minutes or more attributable to our lack of depth at the wing.

I know several people here want to see Poku playing on the wing, but I think its becoming clear that PV sees him purely as a midfielder.

yes, but PV wants his mids to track back poku cant do that yet...perhaps a few games into the season he will come out and already learned how to help out more defensively.

Is Thomas McNamara the new, but more liked Ned Grabavoy? The coach loves him but he's taking the spot from Cult Hero Superstar Kwadwo Poku.
Yeah, Vieira for whatever reason seems to really, really like Tommy Mac.
Vieira was very clear about why he likes McNamara in the article about him that appeared on the MLS website last week. The article link was was already posted in the "NYCFC in the Media" thread so I won't post it again, but here's a portion of the article where Vieira talks about TMac.

Whatever the reason, Thomas McNamara, the man who the New York Times once described as a “thick midfielder with a mullet,” has become a bit of a cult hero. To Vieira, who watches him day in and day out, McNamara’s appeal is easy to discern.

“I think Tommy is a player who, when you see him or look at him play you think ‘yeah, ok,’” Viera tells MLSsoccer.com after a preseason training session in Bradenton, Florida. “But technically, he’s fantastic. Technically he’s really good, his game understanding is fantastic. He’s really smart on the field – you tell him what he has to do, you tell him once and he understands it. And he can score goals as well.

“Those are the type of players that I like. He’s smart, always in the right position at the right time. He can score goals, he can [create]; assists, he’s comfortable with the ball at his feet. I like this player.”

After yesterday I'm less concerned about who is playing over Poku and more concerned about the fact that he didn't even make it into the game day 18. That being said, I'm just not ready to believe that Poku is leaving. We are two game into the season and I still think he is going to play a big part in any success we might have going forward, especially given Lampard's inability to stay healthy and game fit on a consistent basis.

This period is important for Poku. Maybe we're blowing things out of proportion but what he needs to do now if he wants to stay if double down on training, show Vieira he won't be a defensive black hole. Because PIRLO and Fat Frank is understood, but a young guy like POKU has no excuses IMO.

Vieira was very clear about why he likes McNamara in the article about him that appeared on the MLS website last week. The article link was was already posted in the "NYCFC in the Media" thread so I won't post it again, but here's a portion of the article where Vieira talks about TMac.

Whatever the reason, Thomas McNamara, the man who the New York Times once described as a “thick midfielder with a mullet,” has become a bit of a cult hero. To Vieira, who watches him day in and day out, McNamara’s appeal is easy to discern.

“I think Tommy is a player who, when you see him or look at him play you think ‘yeah, ok,’” Viera tells MLSsoccer.com after a preseason training session in Bradenton, Florida. “But technically, he’s fantastic. Technically he’s really good, his game understanding is fantastic. He’s really smart on the field – you tell him what he has to do, you tell him once and he understands it. And he can score goals as well.

“Those are the type of players that I like. He’s smart, always in the right position at the right time. He can score goals, he can [create]; assists, he’s comfortable with the ball at his feet. I like this player.”
I'm not arguing that Mac shouldn't play -- I love the guy. That "for whatever reason" has a connotation there that I certainly didn't intend for people to pick up.

So Poku's biggest strengths is that literally he is a battering ram, goes straight up the field, takes players on, speedy...at the risk of playing little to no defense. He is either a support striker or attacking midfielder who you have to support with cover behind (right now, not necessarily his ceiling. The Poku is the Poku after all).

So looking at where Poku might fit in of the systems that PV has trotted out so far:

-4-3-3 (Chi) - he's not going to be one of the 3 midfielders, as the two on either side of Pirlo need to be shuttlers and Poku doesn't provide enough cover. He's not a winger (or you might have another version of the "Mix" problem, play a central player out wide) so you don't play him for either Shelton or TT. And he's definitely not a lone striker.

-3-4-3 (Tor) - he's not one of the 3 on the forward line (see Chi), and he's not playing either Pirlo or Bravo's role...so maybe you put him on one of the advanced midfielders, but still I see the Mix/Tmac role as being more defensively oriented rather than a player like Poku. Maybe here, but the ball movement/technical qualities of Mix/Tmac suit the other two roles more than Poku's direct style.
Could you play him as a striker and sub off Villa? Don't see that happening, you already have Mullins who backs up Villa's profile.

Thinking about the systems PV has trotted out in the two games and where Poku fits in, I don't know where he is a great fit. Maybe he's a second striker if they went 4-4-2 or he's the tip of the diamond or the center of the (3) a 4-2-3-1. None of which PV seems to favor.

So unless Poku adopts (and the dude is really talented, which he may well do) he may not have a place in the formation right now.

One thing, the chance that TMac fluffed in the second half in front of goal, I bet Poku finishes that.

I'm not arguing that Mac shouldn't play -- I love the guy. That "for whatever reason" has a connotation there that I certainly didn't intend for people to pick up.
Gotcha Doctor, thanks for clearing that up. I definitely misinterpreted your post. Sorry about that.

Utterly hilarious this post and the people liking it when you see the venom that many of the same posters had last year about the Poku situation and the thought of trading him...

Well for the record, I'm not saying trade him at all costs. If we're not likely to get anything good in return then I'm pretty damn happy with Poku as a wild card/backup option. But you're in a situation where his value to the team looks limited, and his trade value is likely as high as it will ever be while he's a NYCFC player - if you can get a first-string haul now for a second-string player, why not make that deal? Why wait for the rest of the league to catch up with our last two managers' assessments?

Of course, this is all moot if Vieira actually does have plans for Poku and he suddenly starts beasting it. I hope he does, I just don't see it happening in our last two formations, that's all.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Is Thomas McNamara the new, but more liked Ned Grabavoy? The coach loves him but he's taking the spot from Cult Hero Superstar Kwadwo Poku.
Not unless my faulty memory is forgetting how Ned, in his first two games of last season, scored, assisted, and drew a PK.
One thing, the chance that TMac fluffed in the second half in front of goal, I bet Poku finishes that.
Yes, but I bet Poku doesn't put in the defense of TMac and score, assist, and draw a PK in first two games. And I love Poku. Note my avatar and my #88 jersey. But unfortunately, ...
we've had two coaches not play Poku much.
This. I think it's possible that Kreis didn't have the vision to see what Poku could be and as canchon canchon so adeptly pointed out, Poku has no place in PV's formations, given the other personnel.

So that leaves us with the following hopes:
  • Please Poku, build up your defensive chops.
  • Someone get injured - clearly this is a hope we don't want to hope. Or,
  • Please Poku, build up your defensive chops.
I don't see much other way he breaks through.

my god, if they trade him, and don't win the league (or at least make a deeeeep run at it), vieira's head is going to get lopped off (at least in the supporters group forums - general fans will be like, meh). If we are going to lose, at least give the fans what they want. and they clearly want poku.

I will say this much. I am not buying a jersey with poku on it as long as his role is up in the air. I like villa, but everyone wear's his kit. I thought poku was going to be my first ever jersey purchase, but now i don't know what to do, there really no one else i like enough to want to buy and I don't want a blank/custom.

I like the idea of buying a player jersey, thought about buying a Poku one for a while. Ended up getting a blank one because "support the club, not the player" type mentality got to me. Not trying to tell you how to purchase, just throwing it out there.

Reactions: Kjbert
Anyone consider loaning Poku? Get him starting time. Make him better defensively. Get him back in 2017 to replace Lamps. Its just a suggestion but hey if everyone is crazy about selling him than sell him we shall.

Interesting, I don't think anyone brought up this option. Are you thinking a loan to Wilmington (USL)? Another MLS team? International loan?

I don't see a player on our roster now who has the power to piss off every supporter when he gets selected.

Brillant and Hernandez are making their case so far........

Anyone consider loaning Poku? Get him starting time. Make him better defensively. Get him back in 2017 to replace Lamps. Its just a suggestion but hey if everyone is crazy about selling him than sell him we shall.

That's not a terrible idea, but with the weird way our season lines up idk how we would make it work internationally (because I definitely wouldn't want to see him on the pitch against our team).

Reactions: Dreaming_NYC

Yeah, I think his positional awareness is miles ahead of Poku's at this point in their respective development paths. At the risk of repeating myself, Poku makes good decisions but he makes them slowly, both with and without the ball. I'm at a loss as to why we aren't trying Poku as a target man.

Yeah, I think his positional awareness is miles ahead of Poku's at this point in their respective development paths. At the risk of repeating myself, Poku makes good decisions but he makes them slowly, both with and without the ball. I'm at a loss as to why we aren't trying Poku as a target man.
But the man can strike a ball. Makes as sweet a connection as I've ever seen and weights them perfectly.

I think he could play the 10 role when we break out the 2-5-1-2.

Just a thought, PV mentioned that he might play a 3-3-4 maybe as soon as Orlando. Could you slot Poku next to Villa up top?
TT-Villa-Poku-Mendoza
T-Mac-Pirlo-Mix
Matta-Brillant-White
He could play more of the false 9 position supporting behind Villa, play in the midfield more than a usual striker, and have a little less defensive responsiblities. The only issue I see with this is our back line is already pretty strained and would begin to leak even more. But we could get more goals to counteract our crappy defense. And when Poku is gassed, send in Bravo or Mikey to run like hell and protect our lead.

Reactions: Christopher Jee