Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Mata

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Harrison

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Johnson

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
I agree with most of what has been said. One thing I kept thinking about yesterday was the European interest in Mata. Its perplexing. He's not a bad player, decent for MLS but I don't see a lot of elite skill in his game. He has good pace and endurance. His passing is decent and he picks out a few good through balls a game. His defending is okay at best. By far his biggest deficiency is an ability and/or willingness to try to take on defenders and beat them off the dribble.

Multiple times yesterday Mata was 1:1 in the corner with a defender. Wallace slide in behind him on the overlap to cover for him so there was no risk of being caught out but he'd do nothing but pass out of it. As soon as the defender started to close him out he'd drop the ball to Wallace, who often was surrounded by two players and immediately under more pressure than Mata had been with no one cover behind him because Mata had overlapped. If White or some other MLS journeyman that's on the pitch primarily for defense does that fine but teams are talking about paying $3m for this guy. Granted he couldn't play D to save his life but when Angelino got the ball in the same spots you saw the skill that reminded you why he was a top prospect, I just don't see it with Mata. Hopefully the teams in Europe don't start to feel the same way because we could use that GAM.
I think you have to read between the lines with those mata rumors. I doubt it was a coincidence that those rumors came out at the same time that we were trying to get full transfer rights from his old club

Reactions: canchon and Kjbert
Interesting to me that there is so much Pirlo criticism. First time I've ever seen him so up close, and I thought he was really impressive with his touches and thought, and even his defending. Today, he did a whole lot of pre-defending. He was really good at snuffing out that pass that is 3 steps from danger.

And his touch and passing combining with Moralez was stellar, not to mention his amazing vision. The number of times he passes the ball into areas that no one else sees is incredible.

It is simple. This forum loves to hate on him. He was 100% the best passer on the pitch today. Not only that but when everyone else around him can't handle being pressed he is their release.

He was a big part of the problem on the first goal but there where 2 other players sitting there watching too and they don't get mentioned.

I've watched him play for a long time. He's a shell of his former self. That being said, there's nobody on this team that can fill that role more effectively then him.

Maybe the problem is that even when he's doing good, his calmness makes him look too lazy.

I watched the game back this morning as I thought maybe I missed something from being at the game. No I didn't. He was clearly the quarterback and best passer when on. The team looked timid and like they didn't know what they were doing after his exit.

The problem is that if one's picture mostly includes the ball and the 2 or 3 players clustered around it, a few moments before and after key events, there's a lot happening outside of the frame. It's harder to pick up on the times that the ball doesn't get into dangerous areas because of Pirlo's defensive positioning, or the times he picks up the ball effortlessly because of timing rather than graft.

Unfortunately the camera angle sucks. We have a much lower camera angle and it shows less of the field. When watching on tv or streaming I only ever see what's happening around the ball.

Maybe the problem is that even when he's doing good, his calmness makes him look too lazy.
Totally agree with this. He's easily the best player on the pitch, by a mile. And sure, he's no longer 27 and in the prime of his career but in a way that hardly matters as he simply sees the game better than anyone else does.

As to easing him out, well, that'll probably take care of itself as this is his last contract year. Even if there are contract extension options that just makes it easier to change his role to a more limited one if he stays on for next season. And perhaps that's the best option as we can have him get less match time but still have the on the club as he's still a fan favorite.

Note also that the bit I quoted above might equally apply to McNamara.

Neither Pirlo nor McNamara maybe look the part of the fast, physical MLS, except that both seem to often be way ahead of other players when it comes to using their heads and knowing the game. You may not have to run as fast as everybody else if you know where they're going to be before they do, ya know?

Reactions: roxfontaine
There is a moment where Pirlo receives the ball with his back to the defender, throws a stepover to his right and goes to his left. In the grand scheme of things, this is meaningless.

But fuck, these moments are why I love this game. How do you assign value to that?

Ahhh, the Pirlo shimmy. He leaves the player on him chasing ghosts. It is an "ooohhh ahhh moment" that he does about 2-3 times a game.

I feel that the " MLS narrative" on Pirlo is that he is too slow, can't play defense and that is generally can't "adjust" to the league. It's like the talking heads are waiting for every opportunity to roast him for every mistake he makes. I remember some anonymous player last year saying that he was going to run at and hit Pirlo for 90 minutes, it's the old "athleticism" trumps soccer skill that seems to permeate a lot of MLS thought. And a guy like Pirlo will never be appreciated because he doesn't "run hard" for 90 minutes and look "fired up". I fully expect an article or two roasting him this Monday from the MLS soccer crew.

Speaking of Mata, I remember one moment during the game when Mata took the ball, made a slick cutback to make a defender miss, and then charged up the side and had a clear outlet ball but then tried to make another highlight reel play and lost the ball in a bad spot.

I think this play exemplifies Mata...he looks for the highlight reel plays at expense of the smart ones. It's like he is trying to fill up a highlight reel tape instead of playing smart in the back.

And yeah, I know this is nitpicking as he was involved in our goals, but he needs to be a smarter defender. Dortmund players are athletic and smart, not just slick with the ball.

Ahhh, the Pirlo shimmy. He leaves the player on him chasing ghosts. It is an "ooohhh ahhh moment" that he does about 2-3 times a game.

I feel that the " MLS narrative" on Pirlo is that he is too slow, can't play defense and that is generally can't "adjust" to the league. It's like the talking heads are waiting for every opportunity to roast him for every mistake he makes. I remember some anonymous player last year saying that he was going to run at and hit Pirlo for 90 minutes, it's the old "athleticism" trumps soccer skill that seems to permeate a lot of MLS thought. And a guy like Pirlo will never be appreciated because he doesn't "run hard" for 90 minutes and look "fired up". I fully expect an article or two roasting him this Monday from the MLS soccer crew.
I've been a huge fan of Pirlo since he's been here, calling out his "shimmies" and touting the pressure he put on opponents last year when we would press. He makes amazing passes a lot of the time. But this year he looks different, and maybe it's because he's playing deeper - I don't know. But what I have noticed are far more lazy passes - not that it's a ton, and compared to standard American MLS players, it's a far smaller percentage of his passes.... but, at the same time, he is not the same player he was last year. And I don't think I miss a lot of what he does off the ball either, because that's part of what I enjoy watching each game - the play from guys making runs and their movement.

I'm not ready to bench him, but Herrera did look pretty damn good in the preseason, so I think it behooves is to try him out as a starter for a match or two. It'd also be a lot easier to lock Pirlo in as a starter without any dissent if he was hitting his free kicks with any inkling of success. But he isn't, and that's supposed to be his specialty.

I like the guy, and I feel fortunate to be able to watch him and Villa (and even Frank) play for my team. But I definitely think Pirlo's effectiveness is waning, and there's going to be a point when PV is going to have to make a really tough decision.

Speaking of Mata, I remember one moment during the game when Mata took the ball, made a slick cutback to make a defender miss, and then charged up the side and had a clear outlet ball but then tried to make another highlight reel play and lost the ball in a bad spot.

I think this play exemplifies Mata...he looks for the highlight reel plays at expense of the smart ones. It's like he is trying to fill up a highlight reel tape instead of playing smart in the back.

And yeah, I know this is nitpicking as he was involved in our goals, but he needs to be a smarter defender. Dortmund players are athletic and smart, not just slick with the ball.
Wallace saves Matarrita's ass more times per game than you can count.

We have more possession this year because we have Maxi. We are better this year because we have Wallace.

Wallace saves Matarrita's ass more times per game than you can count.

We have more possession this year because we have Maxi. We are better this year because we have Wallace.

Wallace is a damn good player. And to think he literally signed with us out of nowhere. Best pickup of the offseason. Dude's got attitude and can straight out ball.

I find it hilarious that the same poster defends pirlo, then in his next post complains about matarrita for being careless at the back. Pirlo gave up a goal from carelessness. Then he fouled a guy in the box, carelessly. He jogs on defense. He's an old man playing out the string.

If matarrita gets caught out it's a calculated risk on the part of the coaching staff, because when you send him forward he is a valuable part of the offense. He was integral to both goals. Pinpoint cross to Villa, and a smart pass to mcnamara. Ffs, we were so much better with Herrera in there it wasn't even close.

I am half-Spanish so I can assure you "athleticism" (or the MLS narrative, since I've had less exposure than most in that regard) has never entered the list of characteristics I am using to evaluate Pirlo's performances. ;-)

Reactions: Kjbert
I find it hilarious that the same poster defends pirlo, then in his next post complains about matarrita for being careless at the back. Pirlo gave up a goal from carelessness. Then he fouled a guy in the box, carelessly. He jogs on defense. He's an old man playing out the string.

If matarrita gets caught out it's a calculated risk on the part of the coaching staff, because when you send him forward he is a valuable part of the offense. He was integral to both goals. Pinpoint cross to Villa, and a smart pass to mcnamara. Ffs, we were so much better with Herrera in there it wasn't even close.
Is this supposed to be to me? I presume it isn't, because I haven't defended anyone's being careless with the ball. By definition, carelessness is avoidable.

Either way, don't pussyfoot about. Just say it to whomever. I think it's common across the human condition to respond more constructively when disagreements are spoken directly to the counterparty with specific terms. Halfway there on this one, I guess. But I would say that you're vastly oversimplifying the repetitive mistakes we see out of Matarrita, who's tasked with an entirely different set of responsibilities and instructions, among them I'm almost certain is not included a line to "wander into opponent's half aimlessly and just hang out while Wallace busts his ass to get back and be an outlet, while you make no attempt to be available as outlet or runner". Nor is there likely an instruction to "give it to Wallace in impossibly tight spaces and see if he can be Houdini", but given how Rodney has played, I guess it should be. He's singlehandedly holding down that side.

Wallace is a damn good player. And to think he literally signed with us out of nowhere. Best pickup of the offseason. Dude's got attitude and can straight out ball.

I'd like to think playing for NYCFC is an easy pitch for Claudio Reyna...

"Do you want to live in the best city in the world, be coached under Patrick Vieira, and play alongside some of the world's best players?"

Reactions: Kjbert
I'd like to think playing for NYCFC is an easy pitch for Claudio Reyna...

"Do you want to live in the best city in the world, be coached under Patrick Vieira, and play alongside some of the world's best players?"
A little more difficult when you add, "of course, you'll need to buy out your own contract first". What a freaking hero.

Forgetting any other player assessments, Wallace can't be praised enough, imo. What more can you want as a fan than a guy who pays his own way to get here, plays like he was born wearing the badge, and produces in a way we've not seen out of the position?

I thought Ring looked poor as the 6. Maybe that's because he was on a Yellow, but his positioning was very bad. He's a box to box CM who needs to be paired with a more disciplined deep lying CM. He works with Pirlo because he's athletic enough to help cover and Pirlo is smart enough positionally to cover space.

Interesting to me that there is so much Pirlo criticism. First time I've ever seen him so up close, and I thought he was really impressive with his touches and thought, and even his defending. Today, he did a whole lot of pre-defending. He was really good at snuffing out that pass that is 3 steps from danger.

And his touch and passing combining with Moralez was stellar, not to mention his amazing vision. The number of times he passes the ball into areas that no one else sees is incredible.

I sometimes seriously wonder if I'm watching the same match as some of the posters on this forum.

Pirlo was incredible the first half of this match. It's a shame it's lost on so many NYCFC fans.

I gotta say I love reading you guy's analysis of each game.

Anyways I was watching a stream with no commentary, so you could hear even the referees talking. Maybe it was my drinking but I could have sworn I heard a group of people chanting "we want Saunders" after Johnson made a save. I almost spilled my drink.

Aside from that it was a decent game, Chanot is El Duro back there. Definite MOTM for me