The View From 226

Good posts herein. The formation/system/flow promoted by PV make transition inevitable. PV has admitted this. The key will be how well and how quickly the team learns to cover and compensate for that. That undoubtedly will take some time before it fully clicks. The learning curve will result in some goals and some nail-biting. That is why PV was so upbeat after the first win even with the susceptibility. The team has bought into this philosophy and is grasping it. Improvement will not only come from the back, but from all sides, with, for example, MF cover for Pirlo, and the wings covering back. You could see that even Khiry was last man back at times, making some crucial clearances. It's a long-winded way of saying that I agree with Ulrich and R roxfontaine et al that a well-played, high tempo game with improvement in defending transition will be a positive result and a favorable trajectory.

One of the interesting things about Toronto last year was how different the matches were. In part, this was, of course, due to our personnel changing, but the three were entirely unrelated.

- First was a game where we bunkered down in Toronto and nicked a victory.
- Second was one of the craziest shoot-outs we had last year.
- Third was perhaps the best game we played all year in terms of looking like a complete team.

None of this is necessarily terribly relevant to Sunday, but I was thinking about it as I went back and watched parts of each of them.

Here's this week's preview, including, at the end, Leah's (not so) keen observations about the nature of the grass at Yankee Stadium.

Reactions: JayH
Here's my preview of Saturday's match against New England. I'd welcome re-tweets from those who are willing as we try to build the audience. Thanks for watching!

Nice analysis of Matarrita being out. I think you are right that figuring out how to adjust to losing what he brings defensively is key. I had been thinking that if Vieira trusts Martinez, then we end up with 4 at the back, and if he doesn't, we stick with the W-M. However, you make a good point that without Matarrita, we may not have the wide ranging defenseman necessary to play 3 in the back, so perhaps we revert to a 4-3-3.

The question in a 4-3-3- is whether we play Bravo alongside Pirlo or go with two more offensively focused CMs. My guess is that if we go 4-3-3, we pair Bravo and Pirlo and play either MacNaMullet or Lamp in a more advanced position. Of course, we might also stick with 3 in the back and just have Bravo play even more defensively. Tough decisions.

Nice analysis of Matarrita being out. I think you are right that figuring out how to adjust to losing what he brings defensively is key. I had been thinking that if Vieira trusts Martinez, then we end up with 4 at the back, and if he doesn't, we stick with the W-M. However, you make a good point that without Matarrita, we may not have the wide ranging defenseman necessary to play 3 in the back, so perhaps we revert to a 4-3-3.

The question in a 4-3-3- is whether we play Bravo alongside Pirlo or go with two more offensively focused CMs. My guess is that if we go 4-3-3, we pair Bravo and Pirlo and play either MacNaMullet or Lamp in a more advanced position. Of course, we might also stick with 3 in the back and just have Bravo play even more defensively. Tough decisions.
I'm generally in line with you. I wanted to get into more of the knock-on effects, but would have run too long then.

If it were me, I'd probably go 4-3-3 with Bravo and Pirlo. Give Iraola more license to roam up the right side. The sheer amount of space that Matarrita has been covering in the three at the back, in my mind, makes it probably untenable if we are playing a natural CB in that spot. The one exception would be if Martinez is actual an adequate deputy for Matarrita, but that feels optimistic.

saw you guys at halftime for the trivia question, recognition obtained for you and your daughter :cool:

I'm annoyed I missed you guys doing the quiz. I now sit right under the screenand have to turn around to see it. It's visible, but I only bother for big replays etc. It never occurred to me that I (sort of) knew the people doing the quiz so I didn't look, and didn't recognize the voices. But glad you had the opportunity and won .

I saw it as well, and couldn't have been any more certain that it was going to be a question answered correctly! Two ringers!

saw you guys at halftime for the trivia question, recognition obtained for you and your daughter :cool:
I'm annoyed I missed you guys doing the quiz. I now sit right under the screenand have to turn around to see it. It's visible, but I only bother for big replays etc. It never occurred to me that I (sort of) knew the people doing the quiz so I didn't look, and didn't recognize the voices. But glad you had the opportunity and won .
I saw it as well, and couldn't have been any more certain that it was going to be a question answered correctly! Two ringers!
What!? I hate that I missed that. I was walking to another section when I heard the quiz. It was a question about Mix, right?

Ha! I couldn't have shown my face here again if we had whiffed on it! As far as I know, we were picked at random. The guy who hosts was standing outside 226 when we got to the game and asked if we wanted to do it. It was way before the match and there weren't that many people around yet. Leah has wanted to be on the Jumbotron since the first match last year, so she was very excited. I was mostly just worried that I'd muff it and get booed. The beauty of YouTube is that, other than the occasional nasty comment, you generally don't know if people think you suck.

Jumbo.jpg

Ha! I couldn't have shown my face here again if we had whiffed on it! As far as I know, we were picked at random. The guy who hosts was standing outside 226 when we got to the game and asked if we wanted to do it. It was way before the match and there weren't that many people around yet. Leah has wanted to be on the Jumbotron since the first match last year, so she was very excited. I was mostly just worried that I'd muff it and get booed. The beauty of YouTube is that, other than the occasional nasty comment, you generally don't know if people think you suck.

View attachment 4576

does not sound so "random" to me ;)....i mean the dude was standing there waiting...lol

Reactions: Ulrich
does not sound so "random" to me ;)....i mean the dude was standing there waiting...lol
Fair enough, though he was playing it very cool if that's the case as he gave no indication he knew who we were and actually asked for our names a couple of times. Either way, it was fun and the fact that a bunch of you noticed is very cool and much appreciated.

Reactions: Fantazma
Fair enough, though he was playing it very cool if that's the case as he gave no indication he knew who we were and actually asked for our names a couple of times. Either way, it was fun and the fact that a bunch of you noticed is very cool and much appreciated.

nycfc has a big marketing team...and i know they read these forums im sure so im sure your work did not go unnoticed. again, congrats and keep it up.

Here I preview Saturday's match against Columbus. Looking forward to heading out there with Leah to watch it.

I preview this week's match against Montreal. Leah is protesting our disappointing performance by going on strike.