Toronto Away Postmatch

One of the funnier/pathetic moments of the game came when Lewis fouled Giovinco. Brillant tried making the slide tackle on Gio and literally missed by like 4 yards. Looked like some FIFA 17 shit.

Maybe. I don't remember Gio having two free kicks right outside the box.

i think hes saying the Brillant slide was Ring. I honestly dont remember. Maybe im completely wrong and have no idea what he means.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Injuries happen, NT call ups happen. What kills us is that the drop off is from an above average to great starter to a worst in the league back up.

I dont know what Tmac's deal is this year, but he's worse than last year, and he's one of the worst players I've ever seen in MLS right now. He cant hold possession, cant shoot cant dribble. I'm convinced he has a significant injury that he's hiding. there is no way someone drops off that far that quickly.

We lose ONE central mid and the drop off is from top of the league CM to bottom with either Pirlo or Michael Lopez. If jack gets hurt? who plays RW? God forbid, if Villa gets hurt, Okoli is not good enough fort this league.

Brillant and Sweat have been credible backups, you probably don't want them startin, but they aren't the worst players in the league.

Yup, agreed. There are major issues with this roster and we have no plan B, C, or D for losing Villa. Last fall was a lesson in this team getting burned out down the stretch. What have we done to reduce the amount of wear and tear a year-older DV is putting on himself? Not a thing. Giovinco gets to operate with Jozy drawing attention and punishing CBs, and we continue to want to have Villa on his own.

Reactions: roxfontaine
i think hes saying the Brillant slide was Ring. I honestly dont remember. Maybe im completely wrong and have no idea what he means.

Oh I get it. Yes it was Ring. Same play. It's Monday morning, let me be lol.

Everyone agreed that Pirlo was great offensively but was a defensively liability. I have fought it, aside from the play he missed Gio and Gio had an amazing goal, and said i would come back with the stats after the game so here i am. In Pirlo's 68 minutes, aside from ethan white, Pirlo led the team in tackles. He led the team in recoveries and interceptions which took place all over the field. He was definitely our best defensive player in the midfield last night. Its also tough to win games when you have a defender (cough Brilliant cough) who ended the game with ZERO tackles. thats right ZERO.

ETA: Other players with zero tackles include Sweat, Villa, and Harrison. So not one but 2 defenders that didnt make a single tackle.

UVgOSdT.png

Last edited:
Interesting Stat from the Game from Nate Silver's 538. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/mls/?ex_cid=rrpromo

ShotBased xG Toronto 1.4 NYCFC 1.6
Non-Shot xG Toronto 1.2 NYCFC 1.2

We got Giovinco'd. We are so much better with Herrera and Ring in front of our back 4 than without. With Lewis and Harrison on the wings we could have attacked the space on both sides of the field and opened the middle up more than we did just attacking on Jack's side of the field.

Yep. A special player was on his game yesterday.

Reactions: Sabo and SoupInNYC
Everyone agreed that Pirlo was great offensively but was a defensively liability. I have fought it, aside from the play he missed Gio and Gio had an amazing goal, and said i would come back with the stats after the game so here i am. In Pirlo's 68 minutes, aside from ethan white, Pirlo led the team in tackles. He led the team in recoveries and interceptions which took place all over the field. He was definitely our best defensive player in the midfield last night. Its also tough to win games when you have a defender (cough Brilliant cough) who ended the game with ZERO tackles. thats right ZERO.

ETA: Other players with zero tackles include Sweat, Villa, and Harrison. So not one but 2 defenders that didnt make a single tackle.

UVgOSdT.png
You started out ok, showing that Pirlo made a bunch of tackles, but trying to prove your point that he's some defensive destroyer by showing that our defenders made no tackles (gasp) is cherry picking. Here's the defense's contributions:
upload_2017-7-31_11-38-20.png

There are other defensive stats other than tackles you know. Brillant and Sweat made ZERO embarrassing plays to give up a goal, and they hid behind a player in the wall ZERO times.

Finally, here's the point you don't get. You can make a hundred tackles in the game, but if you mail it in at the top of the 18 against Giovinco, you did a bad job defending. Thats why he can't play, because he's exposable. A good team will get him to defend against their best player and all it takes is one or two moments to lose a game.

Combine that with the fact that NONE of Pirlo's orgasm-inducing passes led to a quality chance and he is a net negative.

Reactions: Ulrich and Marito
You started out ok, showing that Pirlo made a bunch of tackles, but trying to prove your point that he's some defensive destroyer by showing that our defenders made no tackles (gasp) is cherry picking. Here's the defense's contributions:
View attachment 7316

There are other defensive stats other than tackles you know. Brillant and Sweat made ZERO embarrassing plays to give up a goal, and they hid behind a player in the wall ZERO times.

Finally, here's the point you don't get. You can make a hundred tackles in the game, but if you mail it in at the top of the 18 against Giovinco, you did a bad job defending. Thats why he can't play, because he's exposable. A good team will get him to defend against their best player and all it takes is one or two moments to lose a game.

Combine that with the fact that NONE of Pirlo's orgasm-inducing passes led to a quality chance and he is a net negative.

At no point did i say hes a defensive destroyer just pointing out hes not the liability most people think he is. Anyone could have flubbed that tackle on Gio, he made a nice play, its reaching to blame that golaso on Pirlo. Pirlos passes led to very good chances all game so im not sure which game you were watching, but its not his fault if his team mates cant finish. You seem to want to make excuses for 2 defenders not having a single tackle but not for Pirlo getting beat by arguably one of the best players in the league.

The Pirlo behind the wall was laughable.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
You've clearly identified a problem, but I'm uncertain about the solution. It depends on there existing a pool of available players basically as good as the National Team ones we have that we can tap instead of the pool we have been drawing from. Maybe you can go a half-notch lower in quality and still come out ahead because they will be here more regularly, but even if such talent exists in sufficient quality, they're probably even harder to identify.

Reducing the use of NY players has its own risks-- namely foregoing the potential payoffs. Most NT players return to their clubs perfectly healthy. NYC has been very unlucky this year with injuries both to NT players and others, such as Chanot. Sands got hurt seemingly simultaneous to being called into a US U-something (U17?) camp but clearly not related to his NT duties. We've had guys get knocks before but noting this widespread. The previous worst was probably Jack and Lampard for most of the first half of last season, and since Harrison never played before that and Lampard barely did, they did not create as much of an obvious hole. Yesterday we missed 3 hurt starters, a solid sub, plus another starter was suspended. That's extreme, and I'm not sure building out for extreme bad luck is a luxury we can afford. I guess I'm saying I don't see this changing until the academy is in full effect, which is a common song around here.
I agree with most of what you said. TFC is a great model IMHO for how we need to build the roster. They paid for their DPs but alot of their quality depth is because they have the roster flexibility from having 5 homegrowns/1 Generation Adidas. After seeing Sands this preseason, I don't think we are too far away from that though. I like the fact that we are targeting Generation Adidas in the SuperDraft and I wouldn't be surprised if we signed 3-4 more kids off the academy squad in the next 1-2 seasons. It will take some time for them to be major first team contributors but it will give us more $$ to invest in the bottom of the roster in the immediate future. Teams are also expecting 1.2 million more TAM this offseason so that should help as well.

I think we need to be patient because we are still being handcuffed by expansion moves made by Kreis. This season I think we are stuck with what we have. If we continue making the improvements to the roster we have made over the last year and see the fruition of the academy, we are going to be in position to be perennial contender well after we erect Villa's statue.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeeNYCFC
Interesting Stat from the Game from Nate Silver's 538. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/mls/?ex_cid=rrpromo

ShotBased xG Toronto 1.4 NYCFC 1.6
Non-Shot xG Toronto 1.2 NYCFC 1.2

We got Giovinco'd. We are so much better with Herrera and Ring in front of our back 4 than without. With Lewis and Harrison on the wings we could have attacked the space on both sides of the field and opened the middle up more than we did just attacking on Jack's side of the field.
This is why yesterday's result didn't really worry me all that much. Toronto was no doubt the better team than us yesterday and deserved to win, but I didn't feel as though we were trounced in this one (final score aside). I think if we get some of our players back healthy (and to be fair, they have their own injuries as well) and can finish a bit better, we're right back in this one.

Think of it this way. Toronto is up 1-0 on an amazing shot by Gio. Then Maxi is played into the box and doesn't pull the trigger quick enough and has the ball tackled away. (I know I really shouldn't play what-ifs, but here we go) If he finishes that, its 1-1.

Then the Gio FK, ridiculous penalty call, blown penalty take, etc. We're right there.

Reactions: Ulrich and JayH

UVgOSdT.png
I'm having trouble remembering when we can or can't use stats as part of an argument :D

Though, to be honest, I thought Pirlo had a decent game (both Gio goals aside - though I agree I won't put those on him).

At no point did i say hes a defensive destroyer just pointing out hes not the liability most people think he is. Anyone could have flubbed that tackle on Gio, he made a nice play, its reaching to blame that golaso on Pirlo. Pirlos passes led to very good chances all game so im not sure which game you were watching, but its not his fault if his team mates cant finish. You seem to want to make excuses for 2 defenders not having a single tackle but not for Pirlo getting beat by arguably one of the best players in the league.

The Pirlo behind the wall was laughable.

I mean, it's not just us who thinks he is a liability...

Reactions: The Toe and Ulrich
I'm having trouble remembering when we can or can't use stats as part of an argument :D

Though, to be honest, I thought Pirlo had a decent game (both Gio goals aside - though I agree I won't put those on him).

Damned if you do damned if you dont lol. i still think stats dont tell the whole story. Ethan White had good stats but i thought he was horrid.

Reactions: Mario
Im not gonna keep going back and forth, i made the point i wanted to make, you either agree with me or you dont. If you dont agree with me thats fine, i still respect your opinion.