2015-16 Concacaf Champions League

Is anyone planning on Watching the Sounders vs. Whitecaps on FS1 or América vs. some other team on Univision Deportes? Both games start at 10 pm Eastern tonight.

Last edited:
Match Day 1 is complete.

Wednesday night, Vancouver and Seattle both played B-sides and the result was a 1:1 tie.

Thursday night, I have no idea whose referee crew CONCACAF used -- not sure, but I don't think it was a PRO crew -- but they were awful. Galaxy beat FC Central of the TT Pro League 5-1. Gio dos Santos came on in the second half and scored a goal and made a few other attempts that missed the net.

I half expected Bruce Arena to fall asleep in his sideline chair. He kept slumping down further and further. Not quite a B-side for Galaxy as Zardes and Gordon started. Lletget came on in relief of Mendiola who was KO'd by the Central keeper with no foul called. After about four minutes later, a magical yellow card appeared.

Arena had as reserves a squad that resembled Jason Kreis' against Montreal last weekend, but only Lletget and dos Santos got in the game. Galaxy plays the Sounders in the runup to the Hudson River Derby at RBA Sunday evening.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
And if anyone cares América defeated Motagua 4-0 with USMNT defender Ventura Alvorado netting the second goal off a corner kick.

Galaxy playing Comunicaciones of Guatemala with a B+ side with Zardes and dos Santos joining super sub Alan Gordon up front. Taking an early 2:0 lead inside of nine minutes.

Score at HT: Galaxy 2:0 Comunicaciones

I feel like the group stages for the CCL are a great way to look at how good MLS really is as a league.

I think the biggest problem with CCL is the schedule alignment with the other leagues.

For the record, I have no problem with the MLS schedule being what it is. With North American winters being what they are, a March through December schedule is pretty much optimum for us.

However, the group stages are being played when the other leagues are just starting up and MLS is 2/3's the way through. Then the knockout stages are when other leagues are wrapping up and MLS is starting the season. That alignment works to MLS' disadvantage at the most critical juncture of the tournament.

I don't have a solution.

Reactions: Gene