2015 Concacaf Gold Cup Thread

It was a very physical game. The ref let a lot go, which really played into Honduras' hands. We struggled to maintain possession in midfield, which was a combination of the physical play and having half the midfield consist of non-midfielders. The back line struggled a bit too. Alvarado and Chandler were not strong. Brooks was a rock. I'm not as down on Altidore as many - our first goal was mainly him gathering a loose ball and finding open space in the box, and it's not like he was getting good service.

Remember too that Honduras is now being coached by Pinto, who did such a great job with Costa Rica the last few years.

If we speculate on the knockout rounds, they seem pretty lopsided - assuming the groups finish as expected.

The winner of Group B, likely Costa Rica, is in our half of the draw. But, they play the second place team from our Group A in the quarterfinals. That means we will probably see the 3rd and 4th best teams in the region face off in the quarters for the right to play the USA.

Meanwhile, Mexico's quarterfinal opponent is likely to be the 3rd place team in our Group A, probably Panama. They would then face an easier game in the semifinals against the 2nd place team in either it's Group C or Group B. That could be any of the following six, and none look good enough to be a clear favorite (or to really be able to challenge Mexico): Jamaica, El Salvador, Canada, Trinidad & Tobago, Guatemala, Cuba.

Of course, it's possible that Honduras slips to 3rd in our group or Costa Rica slips to 2nd in its group, in which case one or both would end up in Mexico's half of the draw. A lot will depend upon the Honduras-Panama match to close group play. It's worth noting that Jamaica drew Costa Rica last night.

Gotham Gator Gotham Gator & BlueWarrior BlueWarrior Wow: I watched about 20 minutes of the game last night and that never came up.

lol its all good, I was wondering how many players from cuba would defect.
Anyone know if any of those players that defected are good? Maybe we can snag the next osvaldo alonso. They don't count as international players right? Since they are defected?

lol its all good, I was wondering how many players from cuba would defect.
Anyone know if any of those players that defected are good? Maybe we can snag the next osvaldo alonso. They don't count as international players right? Since they are defected?
Actually I'm reading that only the striker Keiler Garcia defected. The head coach and other missing players reportedly never made it into the US due to visa issues. I have to wonder given this administration's relationship with Cuba if the Cuban government suspected the other players would defect and asked the US to hold up the visas and we complied. There was no reason given in the articles I found for the visa issues.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/gol...up-c-6-0-match-report-070915?vid=481641539809

http://mlsmultiplex.com/2015/07/09/cuba-striker-defects-gold-cup-opener/

Reactions: BlueWarrior
Only saw the second half. Here's hoping they're following the USWNT plan and look much better in the knockout rounds.

Tonight's match was the possibly the worst officiated match I've seen. And that's saying something given how much CONCACAF and MLS I watch. I was aghast at how awful it was.

image.jpg

One of the many pictures and videos I took on Sunday while attending Gold Cup matches.

The atmosphere for the Mexico vs. Guatemala game was electric!

Last edited:
image.jpg

And a shot from the early game on Sunday, which saw Trinidad beat Cuba 2-0.

Jozy has struggled a bit. He's clearly not 100% after that hamstring injury. It is worth noting that his shot in the first game is what set up Dempsey's rebound goal. Jozy has had his moments, but I agree with bringing in someone else.

So, we get up to 6 substitutions. Who should we bring in?

Here are the available players.

Forwards: Agudelo, Morris
Midfielders: Corona, Davis, Kitchen, Nguyen
Defenders: Beasley, Besler, Orozco, Shea
Goalkeeper: Hamid

My guess is that we won't use all 6 substitutions. I also think that it is more likely Jurgen releases players back to MLS, since the season is active, than players from other leagues.

It appears Altidore is out, so I suspect we will see Agudelo, although it's risky to bet against Jurgen bringing in Morris.

If Klinsmann brings in a new midfielder, Nguyen seems the most likely, but I am not sure there's a real need to do so. It's possible he releases Zardes to LA, but he's played reasonably well. Mix has been more, well, mixed. He started and played the full 90 in Game 2, but did not appear in the others. I will guess Mix off and Nguyen in, and that's not just because we play New England on Saturday.

Defense will see at least two moves. There is general expectation that Jurgen will bring in the Killer Bees. First, Beasley slotting in at LB, thereby freeing Fabian Johnson to move up to LM or over to RB. Next, Besler coming in to shore up the middle. I am guessing that Garza and Alvarado will be released, though it's possible that Evans will be sent back so he can rejoin the Sounders.

It's also possible that Jurgen has made some other promises to MLS teams to return a player early. We will know soon.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
Jozy has struggled a bit. He's clearly not 100% after that hamstring injury. It is worth noting that his shot in the first game is what set up Dempsey's rebound goal. Jozy has had his moments, but I agree with bringing in someone else.

So, we get up to 6 substitutions. Who should we bring in?

Here are the available players.

Forwards: Agudelo, Morris
Midfielders: Corona, Davis, Kitchen, Nguyen
Defenders: Beasley, Besler, Orozco, Shea
Goalkeeper: Hamid

My guess is that we won't use all 6 substitutions. I also think that it is more likely Jurgen releases players back to MLS, since the season is active, than players from other leagues.

It appears Altidore is out, so I suspect we will see Agudelo, although it's risky to bet against Jurgen bringing in Morris.

If Klinsmann brings in a new midfielder, Nguyen seems the most likely, but I am not sure there's a real need to do so. It's possible he releases Zardes to LA, but he's played reasonably well. Mix has been more, well, mixed. He started and played the full 90 in Game 2, but did not appear in the others. I will guess Mix off and Nguyen in, and that's not just because we play New England on Saturday.

Defense will see at least two moves. There is general expectation that Jurgen will bring in the Killer Bees. First, Beasley slotting in at LB, thereby freeing Fabian Johnson to move up to LM or over to RB. Next, Besler coming in to shore up the middle. I am guessing that Garza and Alvarado will be released, though it's possible that Evans will be sent back so he can rejoin the Sounders.

It's also possible that Jurgen has made some other promises to MLS teams to return a player early. We will know soon.
Jozy plays poorly and just quits mid-tournament? Or was he sent home thanks to a Jurgen agreement with Toronto?

For no other reason than bookkeeping, you can scratch Hamid off the list. He needed surgery on his hand and is out the next 6 weeks or so.