2015 Offseason Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're suggesting we stay in a 4-2-3-1, I think the general critique of the formation is that Villa struggles as a target striker up from by himself, and it also leaves Poku on the bench. It was a safe formation choice for Kreis, but I don't think it's the best one.
Would it be too much to ask to see a
Barker Villa PoKu
Pirlo Mix Lampard

Or even a 4-1-2-1-2
Play Poku top of the diamond and villa Barker up top. Let Poku run at defense and create lanes for strikers.

Would it be too much to ask to see a
Barker Villa PoKu
Pirlo Mix Lampard

Or even a 4-1-2-1-2
Play Poku top of the diamond and villa Barker up top. Let Poku run at defense and create lanes for strikers.

On the first formation, I don't think Poku is best as a wide player. Needs to be central.

On the second formation, that's basically what I want, but I'm calling it a 4-3-3 with Poku as a false 9 instead of an attacking midfielder. As a false 9, he'll play a littler higher up the pitch and can be a target guy at times, but also dropping back to receive the ball and dribble at defenders. It also allows both Villa and the other forward/winger (Barker) to play wider, which is more natural for them.

Imagine a pair of CB's having to deal with Poku drifting all around the front, while at the same time having Villa and Barker bearing down from the wings. Pirlo, Lampard, and Mix should have a field day threading passes into them.

Last edited:
They frequent here. If they want to come out and take claim they can. I trust the Facey and I trust that Vieira wants the other two but they might not come to fruition. I can see City wanting first team minutes for Barker if they do hold him in such high regard. He'd definitely get it here as we lack a pacey winger. We saw what Angelino was able to do here to opposing defenses. Just had no one in the box.
Very cool. I want some sources.

Very cool. I want some sources.
all the potential additions look like a good improvement (in some case tremendous improvement) ... but we still need a good striker to partner with Villa...and I would like to see our goalie replaced as well.

Reactions: Kjbert
I absolutely LOVED the city beats. I thought it would be cheesy - but they became a big part of the atmosphere - especially when you consider the limitations put on the supporters section from a musical perspective.

It was a creative solution by the club - they should be applauded for it.

Reactions: Jock, JayH and Gene
I absolutely LOVED the city beats. I thought it would be cheesy - but they became a big part of the atmosphere - especially when you consider the limitations put on the supporters section from a musical perspective.

It was a creative solution by the club - they should be applauded for it.
They clearly are some talented folks, and the team does deserve credit for trying to infuse some live music into the experience (and they seem to be a crowd-pleaser with the kids, especially mine). I just think that they haven't really thought through the song selection or the timing. They often either conflict with or drown out the supporters sections chants. They often play along with and/or feed off of the away supporters chants which is really bad. And since they do not appear to be fans of the game/team, the timing of songs often is contradictory to the flow or energy of the game. Some of these could be easily worked out, and these are just my personal thoughts, I'm sure many would disagree.

It could, but I wouldn't look too much into it. He could just prefer to workout by himself during the offseason. I know of several NFL players that do that.

I appreciate and respect Jeb Brovsky a lot -- he's a great example of a decent man and human being -- he's been through some tough situations in his life and has persevered and focused on helping others rather than only worrying about himself. He brings a lot to the club in ways unrelated to the pitch. He does a lot of community/philanthropy work and is a great clubhouse/leadership guy. Very proud to have him with the club to be honest and I think he's serviceable on the pitch always busting his ass for his teammates (I'll always remember his performance against the Cosmos; thought that was his best game by far), but he's got no business playing for this club beyond emergency spot starts/substitutions if NYCFC really aspires to be a top club. I would like to see him back next season but right now he's presumably behind Allen (who makes less money) and Iraola (who has football pedigree). Jeb may be the man out at right back .

Last edited:
I appreciate Jeb Brovsky a lot -- he's a great example of a decent man and human being -- he's been through some tough situations in his life and has persevered and focused on helping others rather than only worrying about himself. He brings a lot to the club in ways unrelated to the pitch. He does a lot of community/philanthropy work and is a great clubhouse/leadership guy. Very proud to have him with the club to be honest and I think he's serviceable on the pitch always busting his ass for his teammates (I'll always remember his performance against the Cosmos; thought that was his best game by far), but he's got no business playing for this club beyond emergency spot starts/substitutions if NYCFC really aspires to be a top club. I would like to see him back next season but right now he's presumably behind Allen (who makes less money) and Iraola (who has football pedigree). Jeb may be the man out at right back .
What about left back?

What about left back?

Did Jeb ever play there for us? Did he play there for Montreal? Wasn't even aware he could play LB (I guess it's not like he was whipping in many crosses anyway with his right foot). That could be a good option for him then as a versatile defender who could back up RB, LB, CB.

Last edited:
Did Jeb ever play there for us? Did he play there for Montreal? Wasn't even aware he could play LB (I guess it's not like he was whipping in many crosses anyway with his right foot). That could be a good option him then as a versatile defender who could back up RB, LB, CB.

I believe his preferred/natural position was LB. He was moved to RB to accommodate Chris Wingert I thought.

Reactions: Paul
If the Brandon Barker rumor comes to fruition, I'm hopefully he's capable of trying out the right wing and cutting inside with his left foot:

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

Just gotta finish sorting out that defense.
Didn't we play Allen on the left a time or two? Not advocating for it, mind.

I would like to see us go after Serna and Hairston at Colorado. Both have tons of potential and skills pertinent to the attacking fullback positions and looked like future US fixtures in the past. Of course, Jeb's spirit bro took over out there for Oscar the King and crushed both them and Powers (who really is a skilled 8 and has imo lacked only the opportunity or he could have become a better MB90 than MB90 himself).

I want to play the utes. Can't believe I watched a team with just about a 1 ppg average where the coach played old washed up fart knockers. We deserve some damn medals or something.

Last edited:
It could, but I wouldn't look too much into it. He could just prefer to workout by himself during the offseason. I know of several NFL players that do that.
The CBA only allows team directed training for a small window. If someone is training by themselves and not the teamduring this window, it is probably safe to say they are gone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.