2015 Offseason Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viera experimented alot with positioning with the EDS, playing CDMs at CB, STs on the wings, RB/LB at CB etc, would be interested to see if he does this with NYCFC. I think he will in pre-season although once the season starts its not like a EDS game that doesnt mean a great deal. He has played a false 9 with a 4-3-3 formation but this was mainly due to a lack of options for ST meaning Pozo - a player with a similar style to david silva/de bruyne/nasri would play up front. This season city signed aleix garcia who has a very similar game to Pirlo then he would have 1 defensive minded midfielder and 1 attacking midfielder - so i would expect to see Pirlo, Lampard and Jacobson(or a better alternative) starting and either Villa or Poku up front. I would expect Poku to get his chance to play this position in pre season and hopefully he does well. I know alot of people here wont like it but i would not rule out either Poku or Mix being traded for a good CDM/CB though as it is clear we have too many CMs - and no i dont want this to happen before anyone assumes this.

12241275_1134951329900992_642041204526273418_n.jpg

I see Jacobson, Saunders, Wingert, Allen, Frank, Andrea.

Reactions: Kjbert
Viera experimented alot with positioning with the EDS, playing CDMs at CB, STs on the wings, RB/LB at CB etc, would be interested to see if he does this with NYCFC. I think he will in pre-season although once the season starts its not like a EDS game that doesnt mean a great deal. He has played a false 9 with a 4-3-3 formation but this was mainly due to a lack of options for ST meaning Pozo - a player with a similar style to david silva/de bruyne/nasri would play up front. This season city signed aleix garcia who has a very similar game to Pirlo then he would have 1 defensive minded midfielder and 1 attacking midfielder - so i would expect to see Pirlo, Lampard and Jacobson(or a better alternative) starting and either Villa or Poku up front. I would expect Poku to get his chance to play this position in pre season and hopefully he does well. I know alot of people here wont like it but i would not rule out either Poku or Mix being traded for a good CDM/CB though as it is clear we have too many CMs - and no i dont want this to happen before anyone assumes this.

Most likely, playing guys out of position was done to develop certain aspects of their skillset at the expense of fielding the best possible lineup. I expect him not to play guys out of position here.

People I don't see: Lord Kwame, Ned

A good start, hopefully.
Just a reminder, without "NED" NYCFC 1st season would have been over a couple of weeks earlier (his two goals against San Jose)!!! Be careful what you wish for! How many rostered players who contributed during the season do you want replaced and with what??? Change can be good or bad…usually too much roster change leads to another wasted season (year). We just went through a season where we put together twenty plus players many whom had never played together before. It takes allot to playing time to create a "team in sync" and that's without changing players and the team formation in the middle of the season as we just did!

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
Most likely, playing guys out of position was done to develop certain aspects of their skillset at the expense of fielding the best possible lineup. I expect him not to play guys out of position here.
Also at that age, it may not yet be obvious what the best position is for each player, especially if they have multiple skill sets.

A simple college football analogy is the great HS/college QB that isn't good enough to make it at the next level as a QB but has scary athletic skills and changes to WR - Anquon Boldin comes to mind as a touted HS QB that played WR at FSU and now is a pro-bowler at Arizona.

Same thing in Soccer, a kid always played a certain position because that's what he was used to, but under a new coach with different eyes and a different take on things, moves him inside/outside or offense/defense and the player has a more natural feel for the position.

Wynalda has said this before - but he believes Poku's long term position is as a CF. He knows him better than any of us.

I like him as a CAM because he likes to drift. I think he probably works best in a role like Clint Dempsey - play underneath a primary CF and roam around the pitch, finding space. But Wynalda thinks he is a CF.
I think the problem with Poku at CAM is his distribution. He gets forward, helps others get into the attack and can hold but his passing is less than stellar for a true playmaker. I'm starting to really like the False 9 CF role for him.

Agreed on Allen. I like him, but I think it's true he's better on the right side. And probably best as a backup.

As for Poku, I really don't think he's a true CF. He doesn't play with his back to the goal, and doesn't keep the line. He's best out of a dribble. I think he's a CAM or, if he plays as a striker, a False 9 that drops deep to receive the ball (and then turn and dribble) or draw the centerbacks out to create running lanes for Villa and the other winger.
Heh, limited sample size for sure (I think we know whose fault that is), but his "back to goal" play was pretty good on his first goal against Columbus here: http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/08/20/new-york-city-fc-columbus-crew-sc-spotlight-kwadwo-poku

Just a reminder, without "NED" NYCFC 1st season would have been over a couple of weeks earlier (his two goals against San Jose)!!! Be careful what you wish for! How many rostered players who contributed during the season do you want replaced and with what??? Change can be good or bad…usually too much roster change leads to another wasted season (year). We just went through a season where we put together twenty plus players many whom had never played together before. It takes allot to playing time to create a "team in sync" and that's without changing players and the team formation in the middle of the season as we just did!

It's not that Grabavoy is necessarily a bad player in general, to be fair he did play most of the season with a broken toe, it's just that Grabavoy is massively overpaid for his contribution to the team. I would argue to keep him at half his current salary.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'd trade Ned's two goals in exchange for all of the games he disappeared from, flopped to the ground from a calm breeze, took an awful red in, took too many U-10 strength shots inside of the box, and constantly pushed hair out of his eyes. Really though, I want a player that's ethical enough to tell the coach that he can't play with a broken toe and somebody that's fit should go out instead.

Pretty sure Ned's play lost us more games than he won.... you obviously didn't watch many games

Pretty sure Ned's play lost us more games than he won.... you obviously didn't watch many games
How do you come to that conclusion…it couldn't be his pass completion rate (normally 85% or higher…probably the best on the team), positioning (I doubt that), give aways (not really), defense…hustled, decision making going forward…passes to Villa a focal point. Should he have taken more shots…scored more goals…yes. And finally, I didn't miss seeing many games. As far as playing hurt…during a soccer season a lot of players are willing to even though they are not 100%. Its the coaching staff's call as to whether he believes they can contribute versus what's available on the bench. Better than having players who "quit" as soon they stub their toe!

Status
Not open for further replies.