2016 Attendance Thread

I keep seeing cosmos billboards in the subway but suprisingly nothing for NYCFC

I keep seeing cosmos billboards in the subway but suprisingly nothing for NYCFC
Who actually makes any decisions based on Subway ads? When you are a New Yorker and you see an ad on every single fixed space everywhere you go, you tend to just ignore them. Judging by the attendance trends, i'd say the Cosmos should spend their money elsewhere!

Reactions: Gene
I had expected a near sell-out for the RB match, so this was kind of a let-down.
Looking at Ticketmaster, I am expecting a strong crowd for Orlando.

I'm now curious to see how our second game hosting RB draws. It's July 4 weekend, which could suppress things a bit. Add in the fiasco and it could be much lower than previously hoped, unless draws some "maybe I'll see a train wreck" interest.

Reactions: Goodfella
So if my fat fingers didn't foul up on the calculator, through 7 home matches we have virtually the same attendance.

2016: 187,915

2015: 188,314

Game 1 - Toronto - 30,315 (Sun, 5pm)
Game 2 - Orlando - 24,597 (Fri, 7pm)
Game 3 - New England - 23,425 (Sat, 3pm)
Game 4 - Chicago - 22,930 (Sun, 7pm)
Game 5 - Montreal - 23,352 (Wed, 7pm)
Game 6 - Vancouver - 25,438 (Sat, 4pm)
Game 7 - New Jersey - 37,858 (Sat, 3pm)
Game 8 - Orlando - to come (Sun, 4pm)
Game 9 - Real Salt Lake - to come (Thur, 7pm)
Game 10 - Philadelphia - to come (Sat, 1pm)
Game 11 - New Jersey - to come (Sun, noon)
Game 12 - Colorado - to come (Sat, 3pm)
Game 13 - LA Galaxy - to come (Sat, 3:30pm)
Game 14 - DC United - to come (Thur, 7pm)
Game 15 - Dallas - to come (Sat, 7pm)
Game 16 - Chicago - to come (Fri, 8pm)
Game 17 - Columbus - to come (Sun, 4pm)

Hi - Toronto, 37,858 (2015 - New Jersey, 48,047)
Lo - Orlando, 22,930 (2015 - Philly, 20,461)
Total - 187,915 (2015 - 493,448)
Avg - 26,845 (2015 - 28,132/7 games; 29,026/season)
Avg (w/o hi/lo) - 25,425 (2016 - 28,329)
Median - 24,597 (2015 - 27,545)

Avg Sat: 24,432 (2015 - 28,907)
Avg Sun: 26,623 (2015 - 28,200)
Avg Worknight: 23,975 (2015 - 24,278)
Avg Weekend Day: 29,190 (2015 - 30,277)
Avg Weekend Night: 22,930 (2015 - 25,566)
The HIGH is attributed to the wrong team. NJ not Toronto.

I had expected a near sell-out for the RB match, so this was kind of a let-down.
Looking at Ticketmaster, I am expecting a strong crowd for Orlando.
I had seen on twitter they were expecting 40-41k for RB, not sure what happened.

It wasn't much short of that. I think the threat of rain kept numbers down a bit.
Could be. 40 seemed like it was presented as a fact.

Not surprised if actuals were lower, but I thought they reported sales.

I had seen on twitter they were expecting 40-41k for RB, not sure what happened.
about 4K got the leaked copy of the script and knew how the scene was going to be filmed....

Reactions: BxLio91
This was posted on BigSoccer, i'm not sure if this poster is active on these boards, or if these numbers are accurate, but I found it to be relatively encouraging!

So if NYC average the same attendance as they did in their last 6 matches last season they will finish the season with an average of 29384 = +368 on last season.

The last 6 games last season were against Montreal, DC United, Columbus, Toronto, San Jose and New England.

This season they face Tim Howard with high-flying Colorado, LA Galaxy, DC United, FC Dallas, Chicago and Columbus.

Let's hope we have another late season attendance surge, especially considering our current form, I am optimistic!

Reactions: adam and JayH
I am hopeful that the win against the Red Bulls will create some momentum with the fans and drive up attendance. The atmosphere on Sunday was nothing short of terrific, even if the announced number was disappointing. There are good games in the back half as well - Colorado, LA, Dallas. Of course, we also have 2 weeknight games.

One of the big mysteries this year has been why we are down a bit, especially after finishing last season so strong, with several games over 30K. Hopefully, if it seems we are heading for a playoff run that will help numbers. Overall, my guess is that we will be a little down from last year, but still really good.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
One of the big mysteries this year has been why we are down a bit, especially after finishing last season so strong, with several games over 30K
I see little mystery, given
  • winning only 2 of the first 10 home games,
  • including none of the first 5
  • the Red Bull Wedding which probably got more coverage than any other game, and
  • the last minute nature of so many bad results
It hasn't kept us away but you have to acknowledge that was rough, and could be discouraging to reasonable people. Now the team finally puts together a 2-game home winning streak, and the team is in first place, and the next home game is basically a month away. But if they keep up the good results the attendance will rise.

Last edited: