2016 Attendance Thread

There are a lot of expat soccer fans that won't go to YS because it's YS. A proper venue will definitely see a sizable bump right out of the gate. And don't forget that the league will not be staying at 3 DPs forever - add 2-3 DPs over the next 5 years, and based on CFG's spending power we will likely see some more big names that will draw in more fans. And lastly, as I've said many times on this thread, no developer in NYC builds for today, they build for the future since it's such a horrible process to get anything done and you do it right the first time - NYCFC will want room to grow since this may be their only shot at it.

Maybe. Probably. Still just hopeful talk, and the 5k number thrown around here was just pulled out of thin air.

Great stuff Gotham Gator Gotham Gator ! So can we now agree the true baseline number is around 27k, and our 1st year bump amounted to 2k per match. If attendance slowly rises for the 27k each year, then a 30k seat SSS is way too small. I'm going to have to side with Ulrich Ulrich and think at least 40k, since we wouldn't want to have to expand in 15 years.

A new stadium could be designed and built with future expansion in mind, making it easier to add sections in the future. I can't name any specifically but I can imagine some modern stadiums have taken that into account during planning and design. Foundations, lower-level columns, etc. could be sized to accommodate an addition. That all costs money though and it may not make financial sense to future-proof.

A new stadium could be designed and built with future expansion in mind, making it easier to add sections in the future. I can't name any specifically but I can imagine some modern stadiums have taken that into account during planning and design. Foundations, lower-level columns, etc. could be sized to accommodate an addition. That all costs money though and it may not make financial sense to future-proof.

You're new here (and welcome!), so I'd like to introduce you to a thread where this has all be covered. Enjoy those 338 pages, and make sure to have some alcohol on hand as you do!

http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/stadium-discussion.21/

You're new here (and welcome!), so I'd like to introduce you to a thread where this has all be covered. Enjoy those 338 pages, and make sure to have some alcohol on hand as you do!

That has to be daunting for new readers to get into, yet at the same time enthralling to say the least. A year after the we settle into the new stadium, I may go back and read through it again.

Wow - that'll keep me busy. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm an architect (but have zero experience in stadiums) and manage corporate real estate so that thread looks very interesting at a quick glance. And thanks for the welcome!

No doubt stadiums usually have a plan for expansion down the road, but because of the limitations of NYC Realestate & construction, unless the land is bought now, or it is agreed to for a later date of sale, there's no guarantee that expansion can take place at a later date. I'd venture that the team will max-out whatever plot of land they get and build to the allowed zoning footprint. Expansion beyond that would need additional land to push the combined lot line farther away from the stadium thus allowing the expansion of the stands.

As I've mentioned in past stadium posts, it's always better to build everything first time rather than go through the myriad of approvals again a few years later. Do it once and do it right....

Reactions: adam
Based on attendance I'm still in favor of 30k capacity stadium. 35k max. I would like too see the stadium mostly at capacity for a great atmosphere and create havoc for the opposition.

Stadium thread 2?

Reactions: Goodfella
Based on attendance I'm still in favor of 30k capacity stadium. 35k max. I would like too see the stadium mostly at capacity for a great atmosphere and create havoc for the opposition.

Stadium thread 2?

All that would do is increase the value of tickets on the secondary market. As a STH, I'm all for that. But the club would want to maximize their share of any seating profits and that means having enough seats to meet demand. They care about that over the atmosphere a sold out stadium creates. And you know what? 32,000 screaming fans in a 35,000 capacity stadium is just as loud and fun as 30,000 in a packed house.

Maybe we should be moving this over to the stadium thread...

Reactions: Gotham Gator

Pretty much every college stadium has been built up this way - adding piecemeal, little-by-little over the years. Putting up a deck here, filling in an end zone there, adding suites along the way. It works great - lending variety and creating quirkiness and idiosyncrasy while preserving history. I would prefer this kind of an approach.

No doubt stadiums usually have a plan for expansion down the road, but because of the limitations of NYC Realestate & construction, unless the land is bought now, or it is agreed to for a later date of sale, there's no guarantee that expansion can take place at a later date. I'd venture that the team will max-out whatever plot of land they get and build to the allowed zoning footprint. Expansion beyond that would need additional land to push the combined lot line farther away from the stadium thus allowing the expansion of the stands.

As I've mentioned in past stadium posts, it's always better to build everything first time rather than go through the myriad of approvals again a few years later. Do it once and do it right....

Professional teams on the other hand tend to pursue an approach of build it and throw it away after 20 years. I think this is driven in part by the large public subsidies that are afforded professional sports teams, along with the consistent desire to increase luxury box revenues (which in the NFL do not have to be shared). It's become ridiculous.

I would prefer the college approach for us. Start with a nice plot of land. Build to about 125% of then-current attendance, which will leave room for modest increases over the next several years without letting things be too empty at the start. Then, as the league and sport really grow in a decade or two, put up a second deck or fill in the stands behind the goal. This should only require minimal advance planning.

Reactions: SportingNYC
All that would do is increase the value of tickets on the secondary market. As a STH, I'm all for that. But the club would want to maximize their share of any seating profits and that means having enough seats to meet demand. They care about that over the atmosphere a sold out stadium creates. And you know what? 32,000 screaming fans in a 35,000 capacity stadium is just as loud and fun as 30,000 in a packed house.

Maybe we should be moving this over to the stadium thread...
Exactly. Making NYCFC a premium event over time which is great for STH's. I guess we'll see overt time. They won't come up with figures until they secure the land, then look where we are attendance wise anyway.

Pretty much every college stadium has been built up this way - adding piecemeal, little-by-little over the years. Putting up a deck here, filling in an end zone there, adding suites along the way. It works great - lending variety and creating quirkiness and idiosyncrasy while preserving history. I would prefer this kind of an approach.

Professional teams on the other hand tend to pursue an approach of build it and throw it away after 20 years. I think this is driven in part by the large public subsidies that are afforded professional sports teams, along with the consistent desire to increase luxury box revenues (which in the NFL do not have to be shared). It's become ridiculous.

I would prefer the college approach for us. Start with a nice plot of land. Build to about 125% of then-current attendance, which will leave room for modest increases over the next several years without letting things be too empty at the start. Then, as the league and sport really grow in a decade or two, put up a second deck or fill in the stands behind the goal. This should only require minimal advance planning.

You're ignoring NYC zoning regulations, most specifically FAR (floor area ratio). You're only allowed to build X sq ft based on your lot size. This is determined by zoning, community use bonus, variances, etc... Ulrich Ulrich was correct in saying that it wouldn't make sense not to maximize usage of the allowable FAR of whatever we purchase. So to expand would mean purchasing land nearby or their "air rights" to build the stadium larger. Or get a variance from NYC, and that's a whole other process. I'm pretty sure most college stadiums don't have to worry about such things when they expand.

I've highlighted the parts of your statement that are problematic.

First, this is NYC - there are no "nice plots of land" - everything is jammed in like sardines - when a developer finds a particular piece of land, they inherently have to build it out to the limits because of the value of land vs return on investment and the agency construction process. CFG, while rich, is not going to buy land and only develop a portion of it for a stadium so they can later fill it in - that just needlessly adds cost to the project.

Second, there is no "minimal" advanced planning in architecture. any expansion is a project unto itself, and pre-planning for it is doing two projects at once.

Reactions: JayH and adam
Huge point. I'd say you add MINIMUM 5K STH's from the population that simply won't watch soccer in a baseball stadium once we get SSS.

Who are these people? Can honestly say I've never met one. All anecdotal of course, but I've met tons of casual fans whose interest has been piqued because we DO play at Yankee Stadium. The club even released its own marketing campaign based around it.

Reactions: forfalskning
This requires the existence of boosters that can be suckered/forced into covering the costs of renovation/expansion

Reactions: Ulrich