2018 MLS Offseason Thread

Seeing that Atlanta is going to have the two highest transfer fees ever in MLS and the fact we haven't spent one transfer on a DP yet is making me pissed at CFG.

I’m not pissed till I know we missed out on someone because CFG chose not to spend the transfer $. But I do wonder. Is there someone other than Maxi we could have had if we paid up? Are we missing someone this window by not paying? It’s more a morbid curiosity at the moment.

I won’t be pissed if we win a cup with the strategy.

I will be pissed if we don’t win anything and haven’t spent a penny on transfers after let’s say 6 DP signings. This next signing is #5.

This is the byproduct of all that freshly minted TAM that is coming next year. Have to make room for all the new players.

Damn right. Tired of these garbage mid-salary, mid to late 20s guys getting money and time. Let them all go to Scandinavia if they want to play. We gots bigger and younger fish to fry in this league.
option on the loan for Juninho
Would take at the right price. Excellent utility man if he’s available at TPFKAU+50k or so.
Seeing that Atlanta is going to have the two highest transfer fees ever in MLS and the fact we haven't spent one transfer on a DP yet is making me pissed at CFG.
Fair and accurate.
I’m not pissed till I know we missed out on someone because CFG chose not to spend the transfer $.
well, if Chelsea sold Oscar to China, you can drop the hypotheticals and get pissed.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
Damn right. Tired of these garbage mid-salary, mid to late 20s guys getting money and time. Let them all go to Scandinavia if they want to play. We gots bigger and younger fish to fry in this league.

Would take at the right price. Excellent utility man if he’s available at TPFKAU+50k or so.

Fair and accurate.

well, if Chelsea sold Oscar to China, you can drop the hypotheticals and get pissed.

We’re we targeting Oscar? I mean within reason. I’m not getting pissed if we don’t splash cash to land Bale this window.

We’re we targeting Oscar? I mean within reason. I’m not getting pissed if we don’t splash cash to land Bale this window.
That wasn’t your initial metric of success.

If we weren’t, it’s because we weren’t looking to play in that $ field. That’s on the club. Oscar is full-grown, adult-dosage Maxi. Would have made perfect sense given what they opted for.

And my point is also, Oscar is a great, highly-valued player. If he was available, there was certainly something out there in between a $40M man with PL trophies and a free 32-yr old guy growing mold on his jock in the Central American humidity.

Arthur Blank only owns one soccer team. CFG owns multiple soccer teams and one of them spends tens of millions on transfer fees. Why would CFG let NYCFC spend $10M+ on a transfer fee when that player would likely make it in Europe and play for Man City or go on loan to a top European club? We're the iPhone 8 in the CFG ecosystem. We want to be the iPhone X but we're not getting that.

Arthur Blank only owns one soccer team. CFG owns multiple soccer teams and one of them spends tens of millions on transfer fees. Why would CFG let NYCFC spend $10M+ on a transfer fee when that player would likely make it in Europe and play for Man City or go on loan to a top European club? We're the iPhone 8 in the CFG ecosystem. We want to be the iPhone X but we're not getting that.
Because Man City isn't interested in most 10M players and investing in this club and this league in this country could have a massive payoff in the long term, much moreso than investing 10M in a more established market might payoff for.

Because Man City isn't interested in most 10M players and investing in this club and this league in this country could have a massive payoff in the long term, much moreso than investing 10M in a more established market might payoff for.

But if Man City buys that 10M player and then sells him for a lot more, that helps them skirt the UEFA Financial Fair Play rules.

Reactions: Kjbert
It seems a little batshit that they would pay 100M for the franchise fee and not shell out a few mill for transfer fees though. I think they like to try and run businesses that live within their means because they want to learn procedurally how to produce success vs. just dumping money into teams.

Reactions: adam
But if Man City buys that 10M player and then sells him for a lot more, that helps them skirt the UEFA Financial Fair Play rules.
There are loads of 10M players who won't appreciate in value who could still dominate for us though.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
I don’t know if that’s an explanation or an excuse, but I don’t care for it either way.

I certainly hope you’re wrong or we're all just wasting our time supporting a sideshow act.

Man City did just this with Herrera and is about to do it again with Ferraressi.

NYCFC is the placeholder for CFG talent in the Americas.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Man City did just this with Herrera and is about to do it again with Ferraressi.

NYCFC is the placeholder for CFG talent in the Americas.

It would be nice if we could up the quality and quantity though. We should have four guys per year that fit this description.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
It would be nice if we could up the quality and quantity though. We should have four guys per year that fit this description.
I think it's tough in that we're constrained to players who are worth millions in fees, but only make a few hundred thousand in salary. I suppose you could do it with DPs, but I doubt we would ever have all 3 DPs in this model at once.

The other issue with this tactic, where CFG buys players on Man City's dime and loans them to us, is that if MLS ever changes how teams benefit from sell-on fees by making it easier and more lucrative in terms of getting cap credit for the sales, then continuing with this model would be a handicap.

I think it's tough in that we're constrained to players who are worth millions in fees, but only make a few hundred thousand in salary. I suppose you could do it with DPs, but I doubt we would ever have all 3 DPs in this model at once.

The other issue with this tactic, where CFG buys players on Man City's dime and loans them to us, is that if MLS ever changes how teams benefit from sell-on fees by making it easier and more lucrative in terms of getting cap credit for the sales, then continuing with this model would be a handicap.

100% speculation on my part but it also seems that CFG knows they are utilizing an advantage that other MLS teams don't have access too and maybe acting cautiously in the number of players they use this approach for to avoid having the league step in and possibly close what is somewhat of a loophole.

Your point about sell on fees is interesting even within the current constraints. It will be interesting to see if the advantage of skirting the transfer fees on guys like Herrera is greater than the extra GAM other teams get by going the more traditional route. Certainly if MLS ups the cap related reward for selling a players they could quickly nullify the current CFG approach.

We've done it once and the guy they gave us is now valued at $5 Million +. Tough to argue with the quality

A lot happening today. Kei Kamara traded to Vancouver and it sounds like Walker Zimmerman is going to be traded to LAFC.

Last edited: