2018 MLS Offseason Thread

Nagbe has never had more than 9 goals or 7 assists. Both of those he achieved once and in different years. In 2017 he had 3G and 5A. With the Atlanta style of play and his new mates you can expect those to go up but those triggers still seem like longshots. So does MVP. Even if ATL crushes everyone I'd expect someone else to get that award. Top 3 in points seems very likely, but MLS Cup is always a dice roll. Still, that seems the most likely one to be triggered.

Hadn't seen this before, but I love it.

C3bqVnxWAAQL67I.jpg:large

A lot of that is conditionally. I don't think Portland gets paid the full amount...

Nagbe has never had more than 9 goals or 7 assists. Both of those he achieved once and in different years. In 2017 he had 3G and 5A. With the Atlanta style of play and his new mates you can expect those to go up but those triggers still seem like longshots. So does MVP. Even if ATL crushes everyone I'd expect someone else to get that award. Top 3 in points seems very likely, but MLS Cup is always a dice roll. Still, that seems the most likely one to be triggered.
I don't expect either of you to have the answer to this, but are those requirements just for one year or 2018/2019 combined considering they are giving up 2019 GAM and this would be future TAM?

Like, could he win MVP in 2018 or 2019? Are those goals/assists numbers for a single season (I would assume so) or cumulative? Or single 2018 season or single 2019 season?

Or am I just reminding everyone of the CCF CCL shitshow and should just stop?

I don't expect either of you to have the answer to this, but are those requirements just for one year or 2018/2019 combined considering they are giving up 2019 GAM and this would be future TAM?

Like, could he win MVP in 2018 or 2019? Are those goals/assists numbers for a single season (I would assume so) or cumulative? Or single 2018 season or single 2019 season?

Or am I just reminding everyone of the CCF CCL shitshow and should just stop?

It’s the aggregate.

$360K is a lot for a goalkeeper. By comparison, Sean Johnson makes $220K.

Ousted lost his starting job, so Vancouver wouldn't keep him at anything close to that. Maybe other teams were telling him that they can't take that salary under the cap without using TAM, and $360K is not enough. Plus, he is not the guy you bump up to $560K so you can use TAM.

Not sure why TAM is even in the discussion, frankly.

ETA: Guzan is on $400K, Hamid $395K, Robles $430K, Rimando $430K, Melia $167K, Frei $256K, Steffan $105K, Bendik $174K. Tim Howard is at a mystifying $2.45 million.

Last edited:
Source: MLS rejected deal that would’ve brought Ousted to LA Galaxy

"Under MLS’ current TAM rules and regulations, Ousted would have had to have been making at least $480,625 in 2017 in order for the veteran goalkeeper to qualify for a TAM offer.
That number is scheduled to increase for the next season, with the maximum budget charge set at $504,375 in 2018.
Ousted was only making roughly $378,933 in 2017, with a base salary of $360,000, per the MLS Players’ Union website.
In order for an MLS club to sign Ousted at this stage would require them to go above and beyond his option for next season, which as the goalkeeper states in his second tweet would be a “gamble.”"

Reactions: Kjbert
Source: MLS rejected deal that would’ve brought Ousted to LA Galaxy

"Under MLS’ current TAM rules and regulations, Ousted would have had to have been making at least $480,625 in 2017 in order for the veteran goalkeeper to qualify for a TAM offer.
That number is scheduled to increase for the next season, with the maximum budget charge set at $504,375 in 2018.
Ousted was only making roughly $378,933 in 2017, with a base salary of $360,000, per the MLS Players’ Union website.
In order for an MLS club to sign Ousted at this stage would require them to go above and beyond his option for next season, which as the goalkeeper states in his second tweet would be a “gamble.”"

It doesn't seem like there's an actual reason anyone can't pick him up. He costs what he costs. I'm assuming he means simply that nobody wants him at his salary? In which case he's just like every other player in the re-entry draft.

Either that, or teams are petitioning the league to allow them to use TAM on a player making less that the budget max? Seems weird for multiple teams to even be asking that question, as the TAM rules are pretty clear in that regard.

It doesn't seem like there's an actual reason anyone can't pick him up. He costs what he costs. I'm assuming he means simply that nobody wants him at his salary? In which case he's just like every other player in the re-entry draft.

Either that, or teams are petitioning the league to allow them to use TAM on a player making less that the budget max? Seems weird for multiple teams to even be asking that question, as the TAM rules are pretty clear in that regard.
It sounds like he's in a quirky nether region where his cap hit is too high for his value, but if it were even higher then it could be made lower with TAM. And I guess his further problem is that if he's in the Re-Entry Draft and not taken then his option is void (?) and teams will just want to pay him less.

Last edited: