2018 Schedule

I always look out for those stretches where we play 3 games in a week. Here they are.

1. - All at home - not too bad
Sunday, July 8 - vs. Red Bulls
Wednesday, July 11 - vs. Montreal
Saturday, July 14 - vs. Columbus​

2. - Last two at home - again, not too bad
Saturday, September 1 - at Columbus
Wednesday, September 5 - vs. New England
Saturday, September 8 - vs. DC​

3. - 2 of 3 on the road - a bit tougher
Saturday, September 22 - at Montreal
Wednesday, September 26 - vs Chicago
Saturday, September 29 - at Minnesota​

Three of these in a season isn't bad, and there is nothing as bad as our load in 2016, when we traveled out west and then back to play New Jersey.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I always look out for those stretches where we play 3 games in a week. Here they are.

1. - All at home - not too bad
Sunday, July 8 - vs. Red Bulls
Wednesday, July 11 - vs. Montreal
Saturday, July 14 - vs. Columbus​

2. - Last two at home - again, not too bad
Saturday, September 1 - at Columbus
Wednesday, September 5 - vs. New England
Saturday, September 8 - vs. DC​

3. - 2 of 3 on the road - a bit tougher
Saturday, September 22 - at Montreal
Wednesday, September 26 - vs Chicago
Saturday, September 29 - at Minnesota​

Three of these in a season isn't bad, and there is nothing as bad as our load in 2016, when we traveled out west and then back to play New Jersey.

Barring injuries, we should also have a much deeper squad to rotate than we ever had before.

Re: the later kickoff times. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day we are not playing any matches midday at home. Maybe deliberately avoiding high daytime temps. Which I don't mind seated in 136 but totally get being a nuisance for others. I'm sure the players don't mind it after last year's dehydrating Chicago match.

Reactions: FootyLovin
As LionNYC LionNYC pointed out, there is an interesting two game road stand where we play Thursday night at Orlando, and then just 3 days later Sunday night at Seattle.

I'm guessing we'll be using a charter for that road trip.

Reactions: LionNYC and Kjbert
Re: the later kickoff times. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day we are not playing any matches midday at home. Maybe deliberately avoiding high daytime temps. Which I don't mind seated in 136 but totally get being a nuisance for others. I'm sure the players don't mind it after last year's dehydrating Chicago match.

I get that. But then you pretty much tell your fanbase that they can't bring their kids to the matches. Instead of bringing my family of of 4, I probably end up bringing a friend or going alone to these matches. In the case of Vancouver, I just don't go because it's 8 PM and that team sucsk

Home Game Analysis
Saturday Day - 4
Sunday Day - 3
Saturday Night - 3
Sunday Night - 2
Weekday Night - 5

I love going to games any time, but the primary reason I go is to be there with the kids. I can't take them on weeknights or late on weekends.

This year, 10 of the 17 games are at night. That blocks me out of more than half the season.

I know it's been unpopular on here, but years of MLS research has determined weekend evening matches are more successful than afternoon/early evening matches at the gate, and on tv.
Add in summertime heat, and it makes sense.

Way too early to have a feel for what teams are going to be strong or weak, but looking at the tail end of our schedule, looks like a great opportunity to load up on points:
  • At Crew
  • Home against Revs
  • Home against DCU
  • At Montreal
  • Home against Fire
  • At Minnesota
  • At DCU
  • Home against Philly
Only 2 of the above against playoff teams, both of which right now have lost key players and haven't added anyone.

Home Game Analysis
Saturday Day - 4
Sunday Day - 3
Saturday Night - 3
Sunday Night - 2
Weekday Night - 5

I love going to games any time, but the primary reason I go is to be there with the kids. I can't take them on weeknights or late on weekends.

This year, 10 of the 17 games are at night. That blocks me out of more than half the season.

Last year, 6 of 17 were at night. 4 of those were on a weeknight, and 2 were Sunday at 6pm. No weekend games started later than 6pm.

In 2016, 7 of 17 were at night, including 5 weeknight games (2 on Friday), and one each on Saturday and Sunday, both at 7pm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
I get that. But then you pretty much tell your fanbase that they can't bring their kids to the matches. Instead of bringing my family of of 4, I probably end up bringing a friend or going alone to these matches. In the case of Vancouver, I just don't go because it's 8 PM and that team sucsk

Agreed and understood. Based upon my meeting with the FO I think they bank on travel time to matches for most fans being about or less than an hour. So maybe they thought a 5pm kickoff was late enough to keep players out of high afternoon temps but early enough for commuting fans based upon their proposed travel time metrics.

Home Game Analysis
Saturday Day - 4
Sunday Day - 3
Saturday Night - 3
Sunday Night - 2
Weekday Night - 5

There's something about those matches under the lights at Yankee Stadium when the sky above is dark.

I love our night games.
giphy.gif

Front Office response: It's the 4th year, aren't they grown up enough to come to night games now? Can't they use the subway on their own?

Last edited:
So do the people here with kids just not go to NHL, NBA, and MLB games? Cause most of them are midweek at night. I'm looking forward to the night games. It's way too hot in the bleachers in the summer, plus i wanna enjoy the beach during the day. This makes it so that i can do whatever i have to during the day and then go to the game at night.

So do the people here with kids just not go to NHL, NBA, and MLB games? Cause most of them are midweek at night. I'm looking forward to the night games. It's way too hot in the bleachers in the summer, plus i wanna enjoy the beach during the day. This makes it so that i can do whatever i have to during the day and then go to the game at night.

I take them to weekend day games for baseball. Almost all the Yankee games are during the day on weekends.

Don't do NHL or NBA for various other reasons.

My kids are 10, 7, 4 and 1. Only the older 2 have been to soccer games (the 4-year-old probably makes his debut this year). At some point, the older boy is going to be able to do later games, maybe he can get there this season, but that's a whole discussion with Mrs. Dr. G.

Another thing that is a whole discussion with Mrs. Dr. G is taking Saturday night to go to a game instead of going out with her. I get to have 3 of those discussions this year.

This person with a kid doesn’t bother with NHL, NBA, or MLB.

Reactions: Gotham Gator