2018 Season Ticket Thread

How low would ticket prices have to go for you to end up spending more on food? Not more than now -- more than on the tickets.
If I saved $10 on tickets and a food item costs $14, then they just made $4 more off of me than they would have previously. And if I get a $14 sandwich, I may also get an $8 fry to go with it too, which is then an additional $12 they got that they wouldn’t have if I packed a sandwich and chips.

Reactions: The Toe
What your saying anecdotally makes sense, but when you look at the actual breakdown of revenues for most sports teams, ticket sales are miles ahead of concessions and merchandise in both revenue and profit. Every incremental t-shirt and hot dog comes with a cost, whereas the incremental marginal cost of an additional ticket sold is close to zero.

Getting you to spend $10 more on concessions instead of $10 more for your ticket is a terrible trade for the team.
They’re paying they’re concession people whether I buy food or not. If I buy more food, it’s just added to their bottom line.

It’s kinda like the MTA - they run trains non-stop, and there’s a cost to it whether they’re full or empty, so getting more people to use the system, even if the rates are reduced slightly, fills up those empty cars.

"my tickets are cheaper, and im gonna eat at the stadium with high prices because i saved a couple of dollars on my ticket"
or
"my tickets are cheap, and i will eat beforehand so i do not have to eat at the stadium with high prices"

which one seems more realistic?
Or one could just stay at home and watch on TV which is he cheapest. What’s your point trolling this??? - I answered what I’d do so that’s the most realist answer to your question.

Or one could just stay at home and watch on TV which is he cheapest. What’s your point trolling this??? - I answered what I’d do so that’s the most realist answer to your question.
you still haven't answered my question because you know the answer contradicts your argument.

They’re paying they’re concession people whether I buy food or not. If I buy more food, it’s just added to their bottom line.

It’s kinda like the MTA - they run trains non-stop, and there’s a cost to it whether they’re full or empty, so getting more people to use the system, even if the rates are reduced slightly, fills up those empty cars.

The concessions are contracted to Aramark, so the club would retain more season ticket revenue than concession revenue. I think that’s a very safe assumption but there’s no way to know exactly how the numbers break down given the way the Yankees, NYCFC, and Aramark are handling it.

"my tickets are cheaper, and im gonna eat at the stadium with high prices because i saved a couple of dollars on my ticket"
or
"my tickets are cheap, and i will eat beforehand so i do not have to eat at the stadium with high prices"

which one seems more realistic?

Totally true... i also don’t think people make food choices at the stadium based on their ticket price. It really is about the cost, quality and convenience of the food. If the food were reasonably good and reasonably priced, people like me might say, “screw it, I don’t feel like waiting till I get home to eat.” This rarely happens now cause the food sucks and they charge a fortune. And that’s not changing regardless of how cheap the tix are.

and if you're a cheapskate who wants everything for 1000% discounts, why the fuck would you buy a season ticket in the first place.

If I saved $10 on tickets and a food item costs $14, then they just made $4 more off of me than they would have previously. And if I get a $14 sandwich, I may also get an $8 fry to go with it too, which is then an additional $12 they got that they wouldn’t have if I packed a sandwich and chips.
Fine.* But you disputed ("Are you sure?") a post whose clearly stated thesis was "Teams make the most money from tickets, not concessions". In the example you just provided, they're still making more money from tickets than concessions even if they're making more $$ overall. Unless you (and many many others) start spending more on concessions than tickets, Fred was right.

* Accepted for sake of argument. I am ever wary when consumers promise that if vendors lower costs they will make more money because they will buy more than enough additional goods and services on the margin to compensate. It is sometimes true, but not nearly as often as the premise is advanced. Lots of people just pocket the savings, or spend it elsewhere.

All this ticket price discussion started me digging, and I cannot find a 2017 season ticket thread, or 2017 ticket price thread, or any discussion by anyone posting the 2017 ticket renewal info. Can somebody point me to it?

Your analogy makes my case. The MTA is like attendance - no direct incremental cost for that incremental revenue. 100% profit. $10 ticket adds $10 to profit.

Concessions and merchandise have a marginal cost for each incremental item, so a $10 hamburger adds something less than $10 to profit.

Also, concessions are sold by a 3rd party, further decreasing the incremental profit from an internal sale.

Which is all a distraction from the original point, which is that teams makes much, much more money selling tickets than they do selling concessions or merchandise.

Movie theaters are different because they give most of the ticket revenue to the movie studio, especially in the first few weeks of a movie's run. They make >80% of profit from concessions vs. tickets.

Your analogy makes my case. The MTA is like attendance - no direct incremental cost for that incremental revenue. 100% profit. $10 ticket adds $10 to profit.

Concessions and merchandise have a marginal cost for each incremental item, so a $10 hamburger adds something less than $10 to profit.

Also, concessions are sold by a 3rd party, further decreasing the incremental profit from an internal saks.

Which is all a distraction from the original point, which is that teams makes much, much more money selling tickets than they do selling concessions or merchandise.
The only other thing to consider here is the price elasticity of season tickets.

How many more season tickets do people purchase as the prices go down? Which leads to how many more people would be at the games and could potentially purchase more concessions (on top of whatever additional revenue from the extra tickets sold)?

I'm not necessarily arguing that this would ultimately lead to higher revenues for the team, but something to consider.

Reactions: Ulrich

Also, concessions are sold by a 3rd party, further decreasing the incremental profit from an internal sale.

Movie theaters are different because they give most of the ticket revenue to the movie studio, especially in the first few weeks of a movie's run. They make >80% of profit from concessions vs. tickets.
I concede, but you are wrong that every extra ticket is pure profit since additional tickets/sections require additional staffing which eats into costs.

Reactions: QuazyPat
This phone charger thing is actually going to come in handy tonight with the power fucking out. Free shit FTW.
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much on that thing. I used it once early this week, and then again taking the subway home from Brooklyn Wednesday night. Had it plugged in, charging my phone and for some reason, every 30 seconds or so it would stop charging my phone, and then restart charging. So every damn 30 seconds my phone was vibrating due to it now being charged. It was so annoying. And I am certain that it was not the cord as I used that same cord later and it was fine.

This phone charger thing is actually going to come in handy tonight with the power fucking out. Free shit FTW.
Dude, moving out of the city means that when buying your home, you gotta buy a generator too.

Reactions: mgarbowski and JayH