2018 Season Ticket Thread

And if you're complaining about what's in your boxes, my Pitchside box didn't even have the damn patch.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Am I right that the Ticketmaster Account Manager isn't letting us post our tickets for resale yet? The only option I see is "transfer" when attempting to manage my seats. Or did they move this to a different site?
Correct. It's on StubHub now.
I had this issue, contacted the rep and got this reply:

I’m not sure if you saw but we have changed our ticket resale platform and are using StubHub, so you won’t be able to sell through your AccountManager.
Please click on this link to see how you can sell your tickets!
https://www.nycfc.com/tickets/stubhub
So i didnt like the switch cause subhub takes 10% but i saw this interesting tidbit:

It is free to list tickets for sale at StubHub. When your tickets sell, StubHub will collect their standard seller fee but NYCFC will give City Members a credit of any seller fees paid in excess of 5% on the sale of their NYCFC tickets on StubHub*. At the end of the season, City Members will be given the option to apply the credit to the renewal of their 2019 City Membership or other select ticket packages.

So its still 5% fee like TM was, but I guess only if you renew or continue to buy, otherwise its 10%. So still kind of worse then last year. And I just don't like Stubhubs interface. TM is so much nicer seeing the actual seats as bubbles on the screen.

Reactions: LostAnvil

giphy.gif

Reactions: LionNYC
I don't even think a David Villa-esque signing would do anything or winning MLS Cup. Aside from a new stadium, or Ronaldo or Messi, we're not going to see an uptick.
I'm encouraged by the year on year improvement in our content marketing. I don't look at what other New York teams do, though, so I'm not sure how we stack up. I think that is key though. And maybe we capture more occasional fans because New Yorkers are kinda busy / flaky like that.

Last edited:
I don't even think a David Villa-esque signing would do anything or winning MLS Cup. Aside from a new stadium, or Ronaldo or Messi, we're not going to see an uptick.
So I got curious and looked up some attendance figures.

fiveyearsexpansionattendance.png

That's a chart of the MLS expansion teams average attendance in their first five years. Seattle's an obvious outlier but I guess we knew that already. Us and Orlando could go either way. They could match most of the other clubs and even out or bounce back a little, or they could "settle" into the usual MLS average attendance range of the other teams. Also, I considered leaving out soccer specific stadiums as those are in a sense attendance-capped, and that's exactly what a few of those lines show.

So it's hard to say without a few more years worth of numbers. Could be that your average MLS team can support around 20,000 people give or take and that's that (with a couple of exceptions). Or it could be the "fault" of being in a smaller stadium for many of them.

So in short we've only played three seasons so it's more or less impossible to predict trends at the moment. If we have this conversation again in 10 years and we've had 10 seasons of sold out 22,000 average per match numbers I'd be perfectly happy with that. Definitely wouldn't panic about our trendline though.

Source for attendance numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance

It does call into question whether season tickets are even worth it now for the prices we are being charged and what we are getting in return . I don't know if they announced what the Yankee Stadium capacity is for this season, but if it is 28k again that means there are 12k single game tickets out there increasing supply and decreasing secondary market ticket prices.

It does call into question whether season tickets are even worth it now for the prices we are being charged and what we are getting in return . I don't know if they announced what the Yankee Stadium capacity is for this season, but if it is 28k again that means there are 12k single game tickets out there increasing supply and decreasing secondary market ticket prices.

We’re in a weird supply and demand vacuum. Supply is far greater than demand and prices reflect that. You can’t sell a season ticket for a single game without taking a net loss. Compare that to Portland or Kansas City where supply is limited and demand is in excess so you get a proper return on the secondary market. Same case with Atlanta and Seattle that have comparable supplies, but higher demands.

Prices will go up when a stadium is built because 1) It will be a soccer stadium 2) It’s a soccer stadium in New York.

Yeah, as much as I love this team, without an announcement made this year , I'm probably out after this season. I can just pick up tickets on the secondary market for any game at less than what I'm paying for my tickets now.

Reactions: NYCFC_JD
I’m not convinced that even a stadium is any silver bullet at this point. We’ll get a boost for sure, but the stadium is only one factor alongside the overall trend of declining attendance across all of sports, the economics of the NYC market, and the quality of the product. Our own stadium will improve the quality of watching a game, but the trend line we’ve got is occurring while the quality of the on-field product has improved dramatically. So either product quality doesn’t go very far here compared to the other factors, or if we ever see a dip in the team’s success these numbers could drop even further. Even adjusting for everything I can think of it’s still a little hard to believe the baseline in a market of this size is as low as it’s played out thus far.

Yeah, as much as I love this team, without an announcement made this year , I'm probably out after this season. I can just pick up tickets on the secondary market for any game at less than what I'm paying for my tickets now.
It's definitely getting to the point where the moxy of having season tickets is on the wrong side of the pendulum considering the lower prices, and glut of tix, available on the secondary market. I've been (somewhat) eating a third seat each season so that my daughter has a guaranteed ticket when she gets older, but if we're still in fcking Yankee Stadium for the foreseeable future, with dwindling STH numbers, then there's really no concern about dropping her ticket and picking it up again when there's a real stadium built - it's not as if they won't give STH the option to pick up additional seats before the general public does.

HEY INTERN, READ THIS NEXT PART BELOW

The club really needs to show their commitment to the current fan base, and the ones that are debating giving up their tix, by massively dropping the prices of season packages (not simply holding steady and increasing single game prices). Prices have marginally gone up every year, and while the product is better, the venue is still sub-standard for soccer, so if anything, the club should drop prices for full season packages as a reward for a season's investment. If the single-game ticket is $45, make the STH price per game $30 - literally only 2/3 the price, NOT the $3 difference it is now - it has to be something that truly rewards while also creating a buffer zone on the secondary market for STH to sell that entices the buyer to get from them rather than from the club's open/sellable seats.

people....its nyc ....thousands of things going on and other sports etc i dont know why people expecting seattle numbers for season tickets.

not saying a stadium will not help....but like many things people will buy single tickets hell i dont buy season tickets for knicks/ giants/ yankees i buy single game tickets

if new stadium is made it wont be dead game by game but i dont think it will drastically improve season ticket numbers.

EDIT: Price is most important....mine stayed the same in 2018 from 2017 so it didnt affect me...but that is the determining factor for me honestly...unless i move out of the city or something.

So listing on Stub hub was far more aggravating than it should be. This is basically the end of my season ticket life. It's more hassle and expense to have them as opposed to just buying them game to game.

If someone wants to buy my seats at cost for the rest of the season, shoot me a pm. Front row aisle in 230 I think.