2018 Season Ticket Thread

It's definitely getting to the point where the moxy of having season tickets is on the wrong side of the pendulum considering the lower prices, and glut of tix, available on the secondary market. I've been (somewhat) eating a third seat each season so that my daughter has a guaranteed ticket when she gets older, but if we're still in fcking Yankee Stadium for the foreseeable future, with dwindling STH numbers, then there's really no concern about dropping her ticket and picking it up again when there's a real stadium built - it's not as if they won't give STH the option to pick up additional seats before the general public does.

HEY INTERN, READ THIS NEXT PART BELOW

The club really needs to show their commitment to the current fan base, and the ones that are debating giving up their tix, by massively dropping the prices of season packages (not simply holding steady and increasing single game prices). Prices have marginally gone up every year, and while the product is better, the venue is still sub-standard for soccer, so if anything, the club should drop prices for full season packages as a reward for a season's investment. If the single-game ticket is $45, make the STH price per game $30 - literally only 2/3 the price, NOT the $3 difference it is now - it has to be something that truly rewards while also creating a buffer zone on the secondary market for STH to sell that entices the buyer to get from them rather than from the club's open/sellable seats.
And the team is responsible for setting the artificial capacity of Yankee Stadium. It would be nice to see that capacity lowered. If there is demand of a certain game, the club can open sections.

Reactions: Ulrich
Nobody has said this.

no but people still freaking about the numbers going down...even if we had 12K or so its "bad" and we always compare ourselves to the pacific northwest or atlanta.

We’re in a weird supply and demand vacuum. Supply is far greater than demand and prices reflect that. You can’t sell a season ticket for a single game without taking a net loss. Compare that to Portland or Kansas City where supply is limited and demand is in excess so you get a proper return on the secondary market. Same case with Atlanta and Seattle that have comparable supplies, but higher demands.

Prices will go up when a stadium is built because 1) It will be a soccer stadium 2) It’s a soccer stadium in New York.

I renew the season tix just to preserve my right of first refusal on seats in the new stadium. If not for that, wouldn’t be worth it.

And the team is responsible for setting the artificial capacity of Yankee Stadium. It would be nice to see that capacity lowered. If there is demand of a certain game, the club can open sections.
I’d be fine if they capped the typical match at 20k for the near future. Maybe for big matches like RB or Atlanta, or LA, they upped it to 25k, but those extra tickets should be exceptionally more expensive as single-game purchases for the people that wait until the last minute.

I still think they need to reward STH with massively reduced prices, because where the club really makes their money is on concessions and merchandise, and money saved by STH on tickets will still be had via the other two spending outlets, but in doing so the STH will have a better game day experience.

Reactions: Mkdaman1818
I’d be fine if they capped the typical match at 20k for the near future. Maybe for big matches like RB or Atlanta, or LA, they upped it to 25k, but those extra tickets should be exceptionally more expensive as single-game purchases for the people that wait until the last minute.

I still think they need to reward STH with massively reduced prices, because where the club really makes their money is on concessions and merchandise, and money saved by STH on tickets will still be had via the other two spending outlets, but in doing so the STH will have a better game day experience.

So you want a reward for doing something you’re likely to do anyway because you want to do it? Interesting concept

So you want a reward for doing something you’re likely to do anyway because you want to do it? Interesting concept
Do you read or just troll? Because if you read, you’d answer your own question, a question that is offbase.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Do you read or just troll? Because if you read, you’d answer your own question, a question that is offbase.
I read it, and reread it again. Still think rewarding you for purchasing something you would purchase anyways is a piss poor business model. No guarantee the discount would yield to increase spending elsewhere, enough intoxicated jersey wearing people in the stands to show they’re making their money just fine without needing to change.

I read it, and reread it again. Still think rewarding you for purchasing something you would purchase anyways is a piss poor business model. No guarantee the discount would yield to increase spending elsewhere, enough intoxicated jersey wearing people in the stands to show they’re making their money just fine without needing to change.
Try reading all of my posts regarding it, and you're have an epiphany that purchasing tickets is not something that would be purchased anyway. And you just proved my point that the intoxicated jersey wearing people are how they make their money, it's definitely not off of ticket sales.

I'm not sure why you are assuming season ticket holders would already be spending those dollars on food and merch.

There are many season ticket holders on this forum alone that bring their own food into the stadium. Perhaps they start spending money on in-stadium food. I always try to eat before the game, because I know I'm going to get gouged on in-stadium food. I don't buy merchandise at the stadium, because its ridiculously overpriced.

Look at what Atlanta did with Mercedes Benz stadium. They had realistic stadium food prices and their revenues from that were way up.

I could have done with a new blue card carrying thing that we got last year. I used it for my metro card for the whole year with no issues until last week when my card must have fallen out and I lost it. I'm now going to use the new vinyl bag to carry my metro card. It's going to take some time getting used to it but it will be safer.

I missed where there is a direct correlation of season ticket prices to concession prices. If they dropped the prices of the concessions then the sales would go up no?

That's actually a myth. Teams make the most money from tickets, not concessions. You're thinking of movie theaters.

That's actually a myth. Teams make the most money from tickets, not concessions. You're thinking of movie theaters.
Are you sure? I bring food a lot. If I had a reduced price ticket, I’d end up spending the extra saved money on food/merch, and would be likely to spend even more on food/drink because giving in for one item often leads to multiple.

Reactions: Mkdaman1818
It’s a combination of both. A lot of times teams will cut ticket prices to increase the number of people actually in the stadium, so there are more people inside to buy concessions and merchandise. Since concessions and merchandise are so marked up, it’s usually a good deal, especially since most of us are pretty liberal with our beer spending. Also, if people think they’re are getting a deal on tickets (or concessions/merchandise for that matter) they’ll spend whatever they saved on something else anyway, figuring it’s part of the budget they’ve allocated for going to a game. This is why the experiment in Atlanta with cutting concession prices worked so well - people feel they’ve saved $10-20 on concessions, and can use that to buy more food, another beer, or a T-shirt or something.

All in all, it’s not crazy to suggest they cut ticket prices for STHs, because they know that if we save $10 a ticket, we’ll probably spend that extra $10 on another beer anyway, possibly more.

Are you sure? I bring food a lot. If I had a reduced price ticket, I’d end up spending the extra saved money on food/merch, and would be likely to spend even more on food/drink because giving in for one item often leads to multiple.
How low would ticket prices have to go for you to end up spending more on food? Not more than now -- more than on the tickets.

What your saying anecdotally makes sense, but when you look at the actual breakdown of revenues for most sports teams, ticket sales are miles ahead of concessions and merchandise in both revenue and profit. Every incremental t-shirt and hot dog comes with a cost, whereas the incremental marginal cost of an additional ticket sold is close to zero.

Getting you to spend $10 more on concessions instead of $10 more for your ticket is a terrible trade for the team.

I would also really like to see them do something more for Founding Members down the line. Nothing crazy, but at least some acknowledgment for those who have been there from the start.