2018 Season Ticket Thread

I'm in the same boat because I go to almost every game. The secondary benefits are very secondary. But the folks posting about secondary benefits are not doing so because they really care about secondary benefits. It's pretty clear they are doing so because the basic deal that satisfies you and me is not working for people who don't go to nearly every game, the ones who buy season tickets and go to maybe 10-12 games a year. STH sales to people who go that often should be an important part of a club's STH portfolio. The inability of those STHs to easily and reliably sell the unused tickets at close to cost (except supporters section AFAIK) makes keeping those tickets a bad value proposition, and before they decide to drop their subscription they're going down the list of tangential benefits and finding they don't make up the deficit: priority seat selection and a name in the someday, some way stadium, and cityzens stuff.

I think this is true. I went to about 10-12 the last couple of years. I resold and got cost back for the tickets I didn't use. This year, I will be going to fewer games due to so many bad start times. Add to it that I can't resell as easily or for as much, and it becomes a decision point.

This year is abysmal. I think I'm on pace to lose $700 reselling my 2 tix (that is if I can puke out most matches at $40, likely need to puke <30 on some, so could be $800 loss). Last year I made $200 and went to two games, so pretending I sold those two games, I would be looking at ~$400 profit. And I I moved from the 5th row to the 2nd, technically an improvement. Yeeeesh. I resell cause I am waiting for my anger towards the club for lampardgate to dissipate, but I am starting to resent them anew for lack of stadium development and ticket price raises in face of attendance weakness. It just reminds me that the club doesn't really care about attending fans despite all the lip service it tells the players to memorize.

I know behind most teams is a person who want to make money just like any regular schmo wants to, but I can't feel blind loyalty to a club when I don't feel like my interests are even slightly a part of the plan.

The Lampard situation felt like a bait and switch to get me to sign up quickly. Honestly I had no interest in the lampard signing I was already in queue. I just wanted to support a proper NYC based team. That in and of itself was all I wanted. Ownership didn't matter to me. A multi-billionaire in UAE is just as alien to me as a multi-billionaire from NYC. At that level of wealth your a citizen of lowest tax jurisdiction first and foremost. We share none of the same concerns, we'd never be acquaintances, so what do I care who owns the team. All I wanted was a NYC based team with NYC based interest first.

When they pulled the lampard maneuver I felt like the club just saw me as a chip to collect not a part of building something for NYC. I also felt like the club embarrassed itself royally before it was even established. Like I said, I just wanted a proper NYC team. We were already being ripped on for being Man City-lite; you just had to keep some modicum of distance from the mother ship early on and I could try and pretend this wasn't going to be a feeder system to the EPL club. To advertise a marquee player as your #2 signing with implications that he would be a day 1 starter only for him to stay in england for half our regular season and then from him to show up completely spent..... that is exactly the opposite of NYC first mentality that I wanted to feel from my club.

When I called for a refund I didn't really want to drop my tickets; I just wanted some kind of concession, a token of apology of some sort for shattering my hopes for the club so early on and they offered me zilch. It really wouldn't have taken much, a $10 food voucher would probably have quelled my anger, but the guy on the phone was a complete prick. All he did was read from a script telling me I would be please when lampard showed up and it was for the best and how the team was going to make lots of great signings because of the parent club. I was like you tone deaf jerk you keep promising me the moon but your first action was a slap in my face; how could you not expect me to be upset. So I said I wanted to be refunded and I would reconsider when the club improves, and he straight up told me no refund. At that point I saw the club as a roach motel. They'd take you in, but once they got the money they wouldn't let you out. As if me and maybe 500 other people who wanted a refund were going to break the team by leaving or as if this false advertising wasn't a substantial reason to want to leave. The whole thing was a scummy move by the club, they should have lifted the no refund policy. Maybe not overtly by advertising that they lifted it, but on a case by case request. Now they have a bitter fan like me who rants whenever given the chance.

I was okay with this reseller situation when I was making some coin (or at least breaking even) but if I am going to eat $800 loss I might as well just walk away now. I mean if the only thing keeping me around is the prospect of forgiving the team for its past blunder and desire to hold onto a founding member discount, then I would take the chance at making peace on my own time and saving my cash for a few seasons. After all eating a 40-50% loss two seasons in a row is going to take like 5-10 seasons of founding member discount to break even. That's just financially stupid. And if this problem persists into the new stadium, then I might as well buy my tickets at "fair value" then pumping money into a club that raises prices on the fans it professes to cherish.

Last edited:
This year is abysmal. I think I'm on pace to lose $700 reselling my 2 tix (that is if I can puke out most matches at $40, likely need to puke <30 on some, so could be $800 loss). Last year I made $200 and went to two games, so pretending I sold those two games, I would be looking at ~$400 profit. And I I moved from the 5th row to the 2nd, technically an improvement. Yeeeesh. I resell cause I am waiting for my anger towards the club for lampardgate to dissipate, but I am starting to resent them anew for lack of stadium development and ticket price raises in face of attendance weakness. It just reminds me that the club doesn't really care about attending fans despite all the lip service it tells the players to memorize.

I know behind most teams is a person who want to make money just like any regular schmo wants to, but I can't feel blind loyalty to a club when I don't feel like my interests are even slightly a part of the plan.

The Lampard situation felt like a bait and switch to get me to sign up quickly. Honestly I had no interest in the lampard signing I was already in queue. I just wanted to support a proper NYC based team. That in and of itself was all I wanted. Ownership didn't matter to me. A multi-billionaire in UAE is just as alien to me as a multi-billionaire from NYC. At that level of wealth your a citizen of lowest tax jurisdiction first and foremost. We share none of the same concerns, we'd never be acquaintances, so what do I care who owns the team. All I wanted was a NYC based team with NYC based interest first.

When they pulled the lampard maneuver I felt like the club just saw me as a chip to collect not a part of building something for NYC. I also felt like the club embarrassed itself royally before it was even established. Like I said, I just wanted a proper NYC team. We were already being ripped on for being Man City-lite; you just had to keep some modicum of distance from the mother ship early on and I could try and pretend this wasn't going to be a feeder system to the EPL club. To advertise a marquee player as your #2 signing with implications that he would be a day 1 starter only for him to stay in england for half our regular season and then from him to show up completely spent..... that is exactly the opposite of NYC first mentality that I wanted to feel from my club.

When I called for a refund I didn't really want to drop my tickets; I just wanted some kind of concession, a token of apology of some sort for shattering my hopes for the club so early on and they offered me zilch. It really wouldn't have taken much, a $10 food voucher would probably have quelled my anger, but the guy on the phone was a complete prick. All he did was read from a script telling me I would be please when lampard showed up and it was for the best and how the team was going to make lots of great signings because of the parent club. I was like you tone deaf jerk you keep promising me the moon but your first action was a slap in my face; how could you not expect me to be upset. So I said I wanted to be refunded and I would reconsider when the club improves, and he straight up told me no refund. At that point I saw the club as a roach motel. They'd take you in, but once they got the money they wouldn't let you out. As if me and maybe 500 other people who wanted a refund were going to break the team by leaving or as if this false advertising wasn't a substantial reason to want to leave. The whole thing was a scummy move by the club, they should have lifted the no refund policy. Maybe not overtly by advertising that they lifted it, but on a case by case request. Now they have a bitter fan like me who rants whenever given the chance.

I was okay with this reseller situation when I was making some coin (or at least breaking even) but if I am going to eat $800 loss I might as well just walk away now. I mean if the only thing keeping me around is the prospect of forgiving the team for its past blunder and desire to hold onto a founding member discount, then I would take the chance at making peace on my own time and saving my cash for a few seasons. After all eating a 40-50% loss two seasons in a row is going to take like 5-10 seasons of founding member discount to break even. That's just financially stupid. And if this problem persists into the new stadium, then I might as well buy my tickets at "fair value" then pumping money into a club that raises prices on the fans it professes to cherish.

I'm over cookie burger, but doing the same math when it comes to recouping. The Stubhub crap this season did them no favors. I'm a half step behind you though. I'll trade my current seats in for SS tickets and sell every single game. Hope to break even on those and buy where I want to sit for matches I can attend. Roughly 10 per season. After 5 years, I know where my friends here sit, very easy to find seats near any of you the day of the match at a nice discount. And I have no problem using my SS tickets in the playoffs and screaming my lungs away to avoid be gouged on price for those 1-3 possible games a season.

Before completely ditching, I want to see how the summer crowds are. I purposely traded all my April and May matches because I prefer going in the summer when it’s warm anyway. But the Stubhub stupidity and the ticket pricing is doing this club no favors right now.

you bought season tickets hoping to support a proper club that you already knew going into the first season that it wasn't going to be properly run like the club you want... and you don't properly use your season ticket (going to the game) not that it's my business to decide what is proper, but you bought tickets to resell yet you're acting like you show up to every game and the club owes you for trying to make a profit off of them?
then you're upset lampard didn't play or got signed or whatever.

again, how are you being a fan? by contributing on a forum filled with complaints?

you bought season tickets hoping to support a proper club
True

that you already knew going into the first season that it wasn't going to be properly run like the club you want...
False

and you don't properly use your season ticket (going to the game)
Currently True

not that it's my business to decide what is proper,
True

but you bought tickets to resell
Year 1 False, Year 2-5 True

yet you're acting like you show up to every game
False

and the club owes you for trying to make a profit off of them?
False

then you're upset lampard didn't play or got signed or whatever.
"'then' I'm upset", False; "'and' I'm upset", True

again, how are you being a fan? by contributing on a forum filled with complaints?
True

i would hope not to be honest... i have my season tickets because i want to actually go to the games. Its much less of a hassle to have season tickets than to have to buy them every single time.

I want to go to each match too. But i can’t make roughly half. And i can’t even give more than half of those away. I had a friend scan my tickets last match just to get me points because no one would take them and they weren’t even selling at half face on SH. I’m cool with a situation where i have tickets for every match if I want them. But don’t consider it a hassle to buy the day of when I want to upgrade from SS. As long as my SS tiks sell for roughly what I paid for them when I do.

I want to go to each match too. But i can’t make roughly half. And i can’t even give more than half of those away. I had a friend scan my tickets last match just to get me points because no one would take them and they weren’t even selling at half face on SH. I’m cool with a situation where i have tickets for every match if I want them. But don’t consider it a hassle to buy the day of when I want to upgrade from SS. As long as my SS tiks sell for roughly what I paid for them when I do.

i understand where youre coming from. what i dont understand is having tickets simply with the desire of selling them and then getting upset they dont sell for more. I buy tickets to enjoy the games. Some seem to be buying the tickets for "investment" purposes. At that point its your own fault you made a poor investment that youve decided to carry forward into subsequent years. Cut your losses, move on, and watch from your couch.

Quite frankly i would hope that the club is catering more to the in stadium fans than re-sellers.

Last edited:
i understand where youre coming from. what i dont understand is having tickets simply with the desire of selling them and then getting upset they dont sell for more. I buy tickets to enjoy the games. Some seem to be buying the tickets for "investment" purposes. At that point its your own fault you made a poor investment that youve decided to carry forward into subsequent years.

Quite frankly i would hope that the club is catering more to the in stadium fans than re-sellers.
I think you're missing the point. People who think they were going to attend, say, 8-10 games were buying season tickets with the assumption they'd be able to sell the balance at close breakeven. They're not scalpers.

I'm just glad you didn't whip out the "true fan" accusation.

I think you're missing the point. People who think they were going to attend, say, 8-10 games were buying season tickets with the assumption they'd be able to sell the balance at close breakeven. They're not scalpers.

nah i didnt miss the point... i straight up said i see where adam adam is coming from but not where others are coming from

i feel like after year two it would be more obvious that trying to break even would not be the case. Is the amount really that much if you just buy single game tickets to the 8-10 you would be able to go?

i actually knew someone who was a RB fan who actually wanted to do this as "scalping" but after year two he cancelled it since he was not even breaking even.

i understand where youre coming from. what i dont understand is having tickets simply with the desire of selling them and then getting upset they dont sell for more. I buy tickets to enjoy the games. Some seem to be buying the tickets for "investment" purposes. At that point its your own fault you made a poor investment that youve decided to carry forward into subsequent years.

I agree. Someone next to me is 100% a ticket broker. All my years in my seats, never seen the same person twice. And as a STH, I want to make friends with the people next to me. I’m just a regular shmo who can’t make every match and want to get my money back (or close) for matches I can’t make. I also want to keep my place in line (at least top 400, probably top 20 if I had guess). So best way to do that with minimal risk is SS. But as a father with a small kid, i doubt I sit there too often. And most my friends here don’t sit there either. So I’ll prob sell then 99% of the time and use the “profits” to buy to different seats, not line my pockets.

Can't speak for everyone else, but I was certainly hoping to go to as many games as I could over the last few years. I had a bunch of family obligations, however, so there were a number of games I couldn't make. Most of the times the tickets went unsold (and on some occasions I couldn't even give them away). I got them partly so I could get my daughter into the sport, but if I'm going to be eating all that money I'd rather just save it, pay for soccer lessons for her, and buy game tickets individually.

I agree. Someone next to me is 100% a ticket broker. All my years in my seats, never seen the same person twice. And as a STH, I want to make friends with the people next to me. I’m just a regular shmo who can’t make every match and want to get my money back (or close) for matches I can’t make. I also want to keep my place in line (at least top 400, probably top 20 if I had guess). So best way to do that with minimal risk is SS. But as a father with a small kid, i doubt I sit there too often. And most my friends here don’t sit there either. So I’ll prob sell then 99% of the time and use the “profits” to buy to different seats, not line my pockets.

do you have 4 seats? 2 to sit in and 2 to sell when you don't sit there?

The problem is the unlimited capacity at YS. They screw us over by opening up sections for Red Bulls matches. If they're going to cap tickets at 26k or whatever it is now, they should stick with it.

I think they should close off some sections like the Delta suites because they're so far from the field but I know they're not going to give up that cash cow. Though it's usually empty. I appreciated that they closed up the field level behind home plate. Only problem is what else can you close without it looking completely empty?

Last edited:
I agree with Kangaroo Jack Kangaroo Jack that people should expect to lose at least a little bit for games they can't attend, if it's not right for them, cancel and buy individually. The club should focus on people attending games and if they make decisions that hurt the resale market, oh well.

That's all fine and good, but the stubhub thing was all around shit for everyone. It was basically last minute, and I don't think buyers or sellers benefited from the lazy implementation. People hate buying tickets through stubhub, then being forced to download a completely separate app, create another account and manually accept the tickets from ticket master only after waiting for the seller to find the last desktop computer on earth to confirm the transfer.. It's so clumsy and I'm sure buyers hate it as much as sellers do. I've been called by a stubhub rep twice so far because buyers were confused and angry about how stupid the system is.

Fortunately, it appears as though I'm the only one who has sold every match so far at break even except one at a small loss and one I traded out of.

This will be my last year. I greatly underestimated how difficult getting to games would be once I had kids and I now know that getting to even 3 games a year is optimistic. Part of me wants to hold on until my kids are older and into going to games so I can keep founding member status and good seats, but my oldest is only 2 so it will be several years of reselling, and even if it were simpler and profitable, it's just not my style.