2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
The preseason is over. It’s time for final decisions about our favored lineups.

What questions remain about how we should play? What are your preferred answers?

I will go first.

Any changes to the back four? No. Until Matarrita is healthy I think those spots are locked down.

In the midfield, who starts with Maxi and The Precious? I’d like to see Parks. I like what he provides in the air, and I think he might do more in the final third than Ofori.

Who starts up front with Mitrita? This is the toughest question for me. Not only who plays up top, but also where they go. I like Lewis as an option off the bench for instant offense, but maybe also a solid option at striker. How about Mitrita, ITS and Medina, with Lewis ready if we need a goal in the final 20.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Where is that striker that Dome talked about?
That striker is asking his agent, “you want me to go play for who? What’s a Dome? Has he ever managed before?”

I will go first.

Any changes to the back four? No. Until Matarrita is healthy I think those spots are locked down.

In the midfield, who starts with Maxi and The Precious? I’d like to see Parks. I like what he provides in the air, and I think he might do more in the final third than Ofori.

Who starts up front with Mitrita? This is the toughest question for me. Not only who plays up top, but also where they go. I like Lewis as an option off the bench for instant offense, but maybe also a solid option at striker. How about Mitrita, ITS and Medina, with Lewis ready if we need a goal in the final 20.

I agree the back 4 is locked.

Parks and Ofori split time until/if one -probably Parks - clearly separates.

I don't think we have a set front line for a long time, if ever this year.

I figure it's a situation where there's a standard amount under MLS pattern and practice.
This may be a little hopeful, but I think we have a strong opportunity to get more than a token amount. We liked SAS enough to offer him a contract. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world with a 16 yr old back up RB for SAS to sign with us. Seattle also has an incentive to deal with us now and sign SAS for a cheaper contract rather than trying to sign him for more expensive contract that they think we wouldn't match.

I will go first.

I disagree. Medina was horrible against Nashville and Lewis wasn't his best but I think he has finally passed Medina on the depth chart. He can fill in at striker and winger and Medina just seemed slow and weak yesterday and nonexistent. I think with Lewis in the national team picture as well he brings more to the table in production and value then Medina at the moment.

I feel like Medina popped up a lot in the half space on the right and helped to move the ball to the final third. Didn't really show up in the box. Not sure what's up with that yet.

Reactions: Kjbert
I feel like Medina popped up a lot in the half space on the right and helped to move the ball to the final third. Didn't really show up in the box. Not sure what's up with that yet.
Actually in the first half he did show up in the box after playing Lewis in and showing for a cutback, which Lewis muffed. It was a great little moment that showed great intelligence on both parts and linkage but what we all should hope was a little rust in execution.

Actually in the first half he did show up in the box after playing Lewis in and showing for a cutback, which Lewis muffed. It was a great little moment that showed great intelligence on both parts and linkage but what we all should hope was a little rust in execution.
That's true.

Also makes me think about how much our play continues to run up the left side so it's harder for Medina to get the ball in advanced positions.

Reactions: Revfugee
That's true.

Also makes me think about how much our play continues to run up the left side so it's harder for Medina to get the ball in advanced positions.
Seems to me we go up the left because a) that’s where Maxi prefers to be b) that’s where Villa used to be (and Mitrita is now) c) for better or worse, Sweat gets forward more than Tinner (possible because Callens provides cover) d) because Medina does not drop back as much as Maxi. In any case, Medina and ITS were providing right side penetration for a while last year amd then it seemed to fade away.

On a second watch of the match, I think a lot of what ailed us in Nashville was Ofori’s hesitancy/caution/confusion, which allowed Nashville to get set. I’m hoping Parks can get the minutes and fix that.

But we did win this match pretty comfortably, we can knock the ball around in a way that many other MLS sides cannot, and our new stud attacker figured in both goals (that corner was well struck and helped force that handball).

The question this year is whether we keep up with the improvment of our rivals. I think we are #3-4 in the East (ATL and RBNJ are gonna be tough amd I think Orlando is going to be a lot better this year).

And I’m in the camp that thinks we have the horses, but its up to the manager...

Seems to me we go up the left because a) that’s where Maxi prefers to be b) that’s where Villa used to be (and Mitrita is now) c) for better or worse, Sweat gets forward more than Tinner (possible because Callens provides cover) d) because Medina does not drop back as much as Maxi. In any case, Medina and ITS were providing right side penetration for a while last year amd then it seemed to fade away.

On a second watch of the match, I think a lot of what ailed us in Nashville was Ofori’s hesitancy/caution/confusion, which allowed Nashville to get set. I’m hoping Parks can get the minutes and fix that.

But we did win this match pretty comfortably, we can knock the ball around in a way that many other MLS sides cannot, and our new stud attacker figured in both goals (that corner was well struck and helped force that handball).

The question this year is whether we keep up with the improvment of our rivals. I think we are #3-4 in the East (ATL and RBNJ are gonna be tough amd I think Orlando is going to be a lot better this year).

And I’m in the camp that thinks we have the horses, but its up to the manager...
Haha I think that is the main camp at this point. Maybe not the noisiest one yet tho.

I agree with most of this but would add that Callens is much more adventurous and able to carry the ball forward than Chanot. Could also be Sean John's (and most right footers') preference to play to their left.

I didn't watch a second time but thought Ofori was much better at moving the ball forward. I thought Ofori and Parks actually looked really good together because they both have that ability to carry the ball, hesitate and tease open gaps in the D.

Inspired by Fernandinho's recent appearances in the back 4 as a step-forward CDM, I was wondering if we might see a 3-2-2-3 that looks like this:

ITS/ Medina / Lewis
Mitri / Maxi
Parks / Ofori
Callens / Ring / Chanot

Probably not, but it would be fun to watch.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Revfugee Revfugee did we really win this match comfortably? I don’t remember us putting them under any pressure whatsoever. Lewis should have scored. Outside of that, I remember their keeper making one nice save off of a Mitrita free kick.

Maxi scored a penalty. A good defender in MLS doesn’t give away a handball there. Mitrita scored a worldly.

To me, that means our entire offense will come down to Mitrita pulling something out of his ass every night.

Revfugee Revfugee did we really win this match comfortably? I don’t remember us putting them under any pressure whatsoever. Lewis should have scored. Outside of that, I remember their keeper making one nice save off of a Mitrita free kick.

Maxi scored a penalty. A good defender in MLS doesn’t give away a handball there. Mitrita scored a worldly.

To me, that means our entire offense will come down to Mitrita pulling something out of his ass every night.

nashville didt do much either, towards the end they had two chances i think that was it. granted vs mls those chances may be put away.

as for handball you never know how mls refs judge balls to arms to call penalties or not.

was not good game still, but nashville didnt do much thtats why some may say it was "comfortable" win

as for your last comment, not much different than villa. many games we depended on him to do something to get us something offensively