2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Lol, I was thinking the same thing. I don't know if that's realistic though. Iraola was capped by Spain and played in a La Liga / European side for 12 or 13 seasons, with many as captain.

I noticed that Rangel was at Girona for a season (2004-5). Torrent was head coach 2005-6 so there's reason to believe they may have overlapped, which maybe lends weight to the rumor based on a similar connection with Amagat. I still think it's hasty to imply that Dome or anybody else on the technical side thinks that this is the solution ( BxLio91 BxLio91), but admit that it's a concern if we are unduly weighting personal connection to the coach when assessing potential targets.

Even if Rangel was of Iraola's caliber, would an Iraola-like performance still be useful to us, 2 years on?
I really would not like an Iraola-type player coming in here unless they are completely comfortable having a limited role and getting spot minutes.

Regardless of what we do with Herrera, 2/3 of the midfield is down in ink with Maxi and Ring. Dome has also said in the past that Sands is the 6 for next year (source: I remember him saying he was the future, on the latest SITC they said he said specifically Sands is the 6 next year).

Now, if those three are starting, we still need to bring in 1-2 more depth midfielders to rotate in. I'm hoping Ofori is not part of that (love that we just had him on loan last year - we took a shot with him, and it didn't completely work out, easy to cut bait now). Perhaps an Iraola-type would be helpful, especially to tutor Sands a bit, but I get the feeling that a player like that would be looking for more playing time than I would like to provide someone like that.

I really would not like an Iraola-type player coming in here unless they are completely comfortable having a limited role and getting spot minutes.

Regardless of what we do with Herrera, 2/3 of the midfield is down in ink with Maxi and Ring. Dome has also said in the past that Sands is the 6 for next year (source: I remember him saying he was the future, on the latest SITC they said he said specifically Sands is the 6 next year).

Now, if those three are starting, we still need to bring in 1-2 more depth midfielders to rotate in. I'm hoping Ofori is not part of that (love that we just had him on loan last year - we took a shot with him, and it didn't completely work out, easy to cut bait now). Perhaps an Iraola-type would be helpful, especially to tutor Sands a bit, but I get the feeling that a player like that would be looking for more playing time than I would like to provide someone like that.

You're now assuming we play a 3 man midfield come next season. So much of this is wide open.

You're now assuming we play a 3 man midfield come next season. So much of this is wide open.
Fair point. But basically, I don't want an aging international coming in who is just decent to take time away from Sands. If we're talking someone on say, the Khedira level (just using him as an example, not saying I want him or commenting on recent form or anything), then that may be a bit different, though I would prefer we spend money like that elsewhere on the roster.

Fair point. But basically, I don't want an aging international coming in who is just decent to take time away from Sands. If we're talking someone on say, the Khedira level (just using him as an example, not saying I want him or commenting on recent form or anything), then that may be a bit different, though I would prefer we spend money like that elsewhere on the roster.
NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KHEDIRA

Haha, I knew you were gonna say that. Hence how I tried to just use him as an example as there were no other high priced DMs that could come to MLS at the top of my mind.
Hahaha- I figured the "just using him as an example, not saying I want him or commenting on recent form or anything" bit was shot directly towards me, as a mean to prevent my extreme hatred toward the player. I respect that, but still have to come in with the mandatory extensive "NO" for all things Khedira. :tearsofjoy:

i love khedira, we should give him a max DP contract
giphy.gif

I agree with the premise, but not with the conclusion. I think the conclusion only makes sense if you think that the club is actually well prepared for this. If the club has already laid the foundation for a new DP or is planning to re-sign Villa as DP, or as a non-DP, then we wouldn't be hearing that Villa is in the dark, or seeing things that suggest that this is unresolved, or not seeing things that suggest that it is.

The fact that we are gives weight to the concern that the club isn't well prepared for this. It may be that we just have to be patient, but I've also seen the rumors that Villa is in the dark and they come from a credible source.
I think the Club is just being typically tight lipped about what's going on, but time will tell. I certainly wouldn't discount the possibility that they just haven't been preparing, although that would be a monumental fuck up if it were true.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing. I don't know if that's realistic though. Iraola was capped by Spain and played in a La Liga / European side for 12 or 13 seasons, with many as captain.

I noticed that Rangel was at Girona for a season (2004-5). Torrent was head coach 2005-6 so there's reason to believe they may have overlapped, which maybe lends weight to the rumor based on a similar connection with Amagat. I still think it's hasty to imply that Dome or anybody else on the technical side thinks that this is the solution ( BxLio91 BxLio91), but admit that it's a concern if we are unduly weighting personal connection to the coach when assessing potential targets.

Even if Rangel was of Iraola's caliber, would an Iraola-like performance still be useful to us, 2 years on?
This is a big concern of mine. So why would we sign these types of players if Domè doesn't think they lead us to be successful? Would we even look at them if they didnt have ties to Domè? Shouldn't every signing in a salary capped league be the next brick to build towards a team that competes at the highest level possible?
It's still a rumor so we're shooting the shit but IMO going that route won't work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/wiki/transfer_reliability_guide

r/soccer rates

sport.es as Tier 3: Unreliable, and not to be trusted solo. They fall into near click-bait practices and are often fighting for relevance in a sea of rumours.

as.es as Tier 4: Not to be trusted at all. These companies make money out of ensuring that you read them and they will make up anything to get you to harness advertising revenue.