2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
If I leave here tomorrow
Would you still remember me?
For I must be traveling on, now
Cause there's too many places I've got to see

\m/(-.-)\m/

giphy.gif

Well if JIB leaves we REALLY have no one up front. Like not even a backup. No. One. CFG now has on their hands to sign two forwards, and I hope they are readying something. If not, holy hell what a beginning to the season we're about to endure.

Well if JIB leaves we REALLY have no one up front. Like not even a backup. No. One. CFG now has on their hands to sign two forwards, and I hope they are readying something. If not, holy hell what a beginning to the season we're about to endure.
Exactly. We would really need a splash signing at striker.

On the positive side, it would free up a lot of TAM and cap space to make that happen.

Jo Inge Berget reportedly wants to leave and return to his former club:
"Hear from several quarters that Jo Inge Berget wants to leave New York City FC for social reasons, as he announced to the club. The Norwegian has done well in MLS's first season but wants to move back to Scandinavia - and what I hear is MFF if he would agree with NYCFC to break the contract. Molde and a couple of other clubs in Scandinavia can also be relevant.
But it is supposed to be that he breaks the contract first.
Answer how it goes there we will not have until the end of January or a bit into February."
https://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/blogg/kristoffersson/2019/01/12091/

Be nice.
I'm no Berget hater, and am a bit cautiously optimistic (shocker), that he can have a decent year this year as the starting CF. I felt like once he was getting run as the usual starter up top while Villa was out, he was fairly productive. Perhaps the differences in styles between him and David resulted in a loss of synergy that looked terrible.

Either way, I wouldn't be upset if he were to leave, especially at that salary. I think that would work out the best for us, IMO.

Seeing some of these names makes me realize that compared to some of the names around him, Jo did a good job.
At the same time, you look at the other names and wish he could have provided the same production as some of the others
A bit of both for sure. Could definitely not use a Yannick Boli, but Albert Rusnak, come on down.

Jo Inge Berget reportedly wants to leave and return to his former club:
"Hear from several quarters that Jo Inge Berget wants to leave New York City FC for social reasons, as he announced to the club. The Norwegian has done well in MLS's first season but wants to move back to Scandinavia - and what I hear is MFF if he would agree with NYCFC to break the contract. Molde and a couple of other clubs in Scandinavia can also be relevant.
But it is supposed to be that he breaks the contract first.
Answer how it goes there we will not have until the end of January or a bit into February."
https://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/blogg/kristoffersson/2019/01/12091/

Be nice.
This is awesome this would be the best transaction of the year!!! addition by subtraction one of the worst signings in NYCFC short history , Berget took up 850 K of salary cap what waste , whoever scouted and signed him should be fired . Let's hope this story is true !!! great way to start the day !!!!

so there is more cap space now. man this team is gonna be like half different. im still happy the GK defense pretty much same

So after all this time with no news, we have a number of different stories/rumors going around:

1. Signing Keaton Parks (MF, 21) on 1 year loan from Benfica
2. Re-signing Yangel Herrera (MF, 21)
3. Releasing Jo Inge Berget (F, 28)
4. Signing Lucas Venuto (F, 23) from Vienna.
5. Signing Justin Haak (MF, 16) to 1st squad contract.

I like that we're getting younger with each transaction. And we still don't know what the plan is with the open DP spot vacated by Villa...

Y'all keep talking about removing Jo as "so much more cap space!!" but then you need to remember we signed Jo and Amagat with "so much more cap space!!".

Amagat made $261,250, Berget made $816,667. Total of $1,077,917.

MLS Forwards in that salary range:

David Accam $1.25mm
Diego Rossi $1.05mm
Kriztian Nemeth $1.07mm
Kei Kamara $1.00mm

I'd trade Berget & Amagat for any one of those, any day of the week. And twice over on Wednesdays.

Amagat made $261,250, Berget made $816,667. Total of $1,077,917.

MLS Forwards in that salary range:

David Accam $1.25mm
Diego Rossi $1.05mm
Kriztian Nemeth $1.07mm
Kei Kamara $1.00mm

I'd trade Berget & Amagat for any one of those, any day of the week. And twice over on Wednesdays.
My point isn't who we can sign for that amount. My point is who we have signed for that amount.

Last edited: