2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Essentially it's...
"I think Vanilla is better than chocolate"
[18 hours later]
"I like chocolate"
HAH GOTCHA LIAR
More like....
“I think Vanilla is better than chocolate “
[18 hours later]
“Why are we eating vanilla if the giant mint chocolate Sunday with sprinkles, fudge, and cherries is on the menu for a few bucks more?”

Reactions: Shwafta
If Sands sucks for the first couple months we can just get a “tajouri type” in the summer. There’s no point in not giving him the chance.

Reactions: Kjbert
It’s happening.
This sounds to me like signing a player in FIFA games to a "crucial" position or in FootballManager when you give a promise to "play you in more games" lol.
I hope we get to see him play games.

What I'm really hoping for is a nice list of depth that we could rotate in and out due to our inevitable long stretches of games we keep having, so we don't have to stretch our lines more than we already do every season. Give a rotation to Tinny, Maxi, Ring... And others.

[18 hours later]

On it's face, I get why you made this post.

But there are a lot of minutes to go around. Last year our number 4 CM played 1300+ minutes, and 5-7 played 1000+ combined. And that was with only one notable injury to our starting 3.

Playing youth means playing them over guys like McNamara and Amagat, or not loaning in a guy like Ofori who's not part of the long term plans but sucks up a bunch of minutes. It doesn't mean don't replace all of those guys AND Herrera and don't provide competition for Sands.

Same argument at wing with Lewis. You don't just throw him in as the starter. You have him replace Wallace on the roster, who had 9 starts, and give those to Lewis with the potential to earn more if he plays well.

Can he play as an 8 if Ring is in the 6? I always got the sense he's more of an offensive CM.

But can he do the robot if he scores a goal?

giphy.gif

Imagine Parks, Lewis, Sands, Sweat and Johnson in our opening day lineup. That would put a dent in the "NYCFC is anti-American" theory floating around other sites.

Reactions: The Toe and Jock
Hopefully not as our Villa DP replacement.

Wouldn’t be the worst use of a DP spot. I’d argue Herrera’s replacement is just as important as Villa’s. If Herrera returns, coupling with Park’s rumored loan acquisition, all of a sudden the midfield is quite fearsome (and young)

Also opens up the possibility to splash money (although not DP money) on a new striker

Reactions: Gotham Gator