2021 MLS Cup in Portland - Travel and Logistics Thread

Got the following email from NYCFC which highlights all the things this thread has discussed:

Please carefully read through the information below for MLS Cup at Providence Park vs. Portland Timbers on Saturday, 12/11.

POST MATCH HOLD
PLEASE NOTE AS PART OF THE SECURITY PROTOCOL FOR THIS MATCH, ALL NYCFC FANS IN THE VISITING SUPPORTERS SECTION WILL BE HELD IN THE SECTION FOR APPROX. 20-30 MINUTES FOLLOWING THE FINAL WHISTLE OF THE MATCH. THIS IS A SECURITY PRACTICE USED THROUGHOUT THE LEAGUE THAT WE ASK OUR FANS TO RESPECT AND ADHERE TO. THIS WILL BEGIN STARTING IN THE 85TH MINUTE OF THE MATCH.

Providence Park COVID Protocols

*Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for fans 12 and older upon entry, with acceptable forms of proof being a CDC vaccination card, a photocopy of the card or a photo of the card on a mobile device. NY State Excelsior Pass will be accepted too.

For those who cannot provide proof of vaccination, documentation of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of kickoff will also be accepted.*

MASK POLICY
MASKS ARE REQUIRED. Guests aged five and over at Providence Park will be required to wear face coverings in all areas unless actively eating or drinking, this includes if you are vaccinated.

MATCH NOTES
Date: 12/11/21
Opponent Portland Timbers
Kickoff: 12:23 PM Local Time (PST)
Weather: High: 48 Low: 40 RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, and Wind.

THIRD RAIL BREAKFAST TAILGATE
The Third Rail along with the NYCFC Front Office are throwing a breakfast tailgate at the Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center (550 SW Oak St, Portland, OR 97204) Saturday morning December 11th. The event will run from 7:30am to 9:30am and is open to all NYCFC supporters. Food including Voodoo Doughnuts will be provided along with a drink ticket for a free beverage. Quantities are limited so plan to arrive early. Upon arrival, please take the elevator to the Conference Level and follow signs to the main ballroom.

TICKET COLLECTION
All tickets will be distributed by email through SeatGeek. All Tickets have been distributed. If you have not seen an email with your tickets, please email Mike Casazza(mike.casazza@nycfc.com).

MEETING LOCATION
We ask all visiting supporters to meet up prior to entering Providence Park as a group. Wristbands for the section will be handed out prior to entrance by showing your ticket to an NYCFC staff member.
  • Meeting Location: 20th St. and Salmon St. at 9:50am.
STADIUM ENTRANCE
NYCFC fans will enter Providence Park as a group at 10:00AM at Gate G.

SEATING SECTION
All NYCFC tickets will be in Section 221-223. The seating within this area will be general admission and first come first serve for seats. Wristbands will be required (no exceptions) for this section. Wristbands will be provided by NYCFC staff for access to the section. Please make sure you collect a wristband prior to entering. Most seats within these sections are covered by an overhang.

Please note that any fans within the visiting supporters section found wearing Portland Timbers gear are subject to removal from the section.

STADIUM POLICY/FAN CODE OF CONDUCT
Stadium Information Page (A-Z Guide): https://www.timbers.com/providencepark/guest-guide
Code of Conduct: https://www.nycfc.com/matchday/fan-code-of-conduct

POST-MATCH PARTY
Win or lose (but let’s WIN!) NYCFC will be hosting a post-match party. Food and drinks will be provided by the club. All traveling fans are welcome! Details below:
Address: Hilton Portland Downtown
921 SW 6th Ave, Portland, OR 97204
Time: 630pm-10pm PT

On the post-game hold, I hope/expect? we won't have to find out, but I wonder if it is handled differently after a Cup game if the hosts win. Because if so, the home fans will only start leaving in significant numbers approximately 30 minutes after the game ends.

On the post-game hold, I hope/expect? we won't have to find out, but I wonder if it is handled differently after a Cup game if the hosts win. Because if so, the home fans will only start leaving in significant numbers approximately 30 minutes after the game ends.
I was thinking the same thing. The visiting fans are going to want to get out of there after a loss and probably don’t want to watch the cup lift. And as you said the hosting fans will definitely want to stay. So then waiting that allotted time and having everyone leaving at the same time seems counter intuitive. But knowing security it won’t be thought through and it may turn into a cluster.

I was thinking the same thing. The visiting fans are going to want to get out of there after a loss and probably don’t want to watch the cup lift. And as you said the hosting fans will definitely want to stay. So then waiting that allotted time and having everyone leaving at the same time seems counter intuitive. But knowing security it won’t be thought through and it may turn into a cluster.

Either they would clear out the NYCFC section first, or they would hold you guys longer. That 25-30 minutes isn't hard and fast. In New England, the players celebrated with us for around 20 minutes, and after that was done the New England fans were all gone and we left pretty quickly.

Reactions: Shwafta
Either they would clear out the NYCFC section first, or they would hold you guys longer. That 25-30 minutes isn't hard and fast. In New England, the players celebrated with us for around 20 minutes, and after that was done the New England fans were all gone and we left pretty quickly.
If we celebrate I think we have no problem. If they celebrate, I would expect 30 minutes to an hour. They'll probbably sing songs, lift the cup, go for photo ops with the fans, etc. They should probably send us out early if that happens. But it won't because we're gonna win ;)

I seriously wish MLS would have made this a neutral site match in a warm weather place. Would have been cool as hell to go to Miami or LA rather than freakin Portland

I think letting the higher ranked team have home field advantage throughout the playoffs gives a reward for regular season performance.

Hopefully next year, they do something about the long bye or eliminate the bye all together and let top 8 qualify.

I think letting the higher ranked team have home field advantage throughout the playoffs gives a reward for regular season performance.

Hopefully next year, they do something about the long bye or eliminate the bye all together and let top 8 qualify.
That’s fine - give them an initial higher ticket allocation or something. But from a fan perspective, if they’re going to make the MLS Cup a Super Bowl-like event, having it in a nice city would be a good start.

I'm agnostic on eliminating the bye, but looking forward to #1 seeds losing to 8 seeds and fans complaining the league never should have eliminated the bye.
People complained about the home/away two legged series and then they scrapped that and then people complained about the single game could lead to “anything can happen” chaos.

For anyone in the same boat as me, Alex Cestone says that all tickets have *not* been sent out yet. I’ll be breathing into a paper bag all day regardless.
I just got a Third Rail email saying: “All TR members should have received their tickets via Seat Geek.” Haven’t received mine yet but followed up as instructed in the email

That’s fine - give them an initial higher ticket allocation or something. But from a fan perspective, if they’re going to make the MLS Cup a Super Bowl-like event, having it in a nice city would be a good start.
MLS isn't ready for this, unfortunately. You'll get traveling fans but you won't get it to such extreme numbers, and I doubt locals would want to go to the game if their team isn't involved. Maybe if MLS becomes more popular and an event to go to like NBA/NFL/Baseball finals.

Sounds like Seat Geek has been a pain for the front office but they got me sorted out with a laugh:
View attachment 11669

giphy.gif

Anyone on Alaska from Newark? Definitely NYCFC folks on here but not sure if any are forum members

Reactions: SoupInNYC