mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
It seems we have a lot of forum members planning to go to this game. I think it makes sense to have a separate thread from the game thread, both to make finding posts easier, and so people not going don't have to read the irrelevant stuff. Travel tips, food tips, questions, breakfast, dinner, drinking meetups on Saturday, whatever.

My starting question is: what are the best options to get from the airport to downtown late Friday night? My flight gets in a little after 11pm. I'm staying a few blocks from the river downtown. It looks like it's near the Red Line which is the airport line. But I can't tell what the Max Light Rail hours are. The website on multiple pages says "most of the day, every day," which is so not helpful. I tried the trip planner, and input that I plan to leave the airport at 11:40pm and it puts me on at train around 3am?, and has me switch from the Red line to Blue line for no apparent reason.

I'm very open to taking a cab but if anyone know how the rail system actually works or has other ideas let me know.

Last edited:
It seems we have a lot of forum members planning to go to this game. I think it makes sense to have a separate thread from the game thread, both to make finding posts easier, and so people not going don't have to read the irrelevant stuff. Travel tips, food tips, questions, breakfast, dinner, drinking meetups on Saturday, whatever.

My starting question is: what are the best options to get from the airport to downtown late Friday night? My flight gets in a little after 11pm. I'm staying a few blocks from the river downtown. It looks like it's near the Red Line. But I can't tell what the Max Light Rail hours are. The website on multiple pages says "most of the day, every day," which is so not helpful. I tried the trip planner, and input that I plan to leave the airport at 11:40pm and it puts me on at train around 3am?, and has me switch from the Red line to Blue line for no apparent reason.

I'm very open to taking a cab but if anyone know how the rail system actually works or has other ideas let me know.
I'm probably just going to end up taking a cab.

Also, I know some folks are probably a bit cautious about sharing travel plans, and that's completely cool with me and makes sense, but just in case anyone here has similar plans as me and wants to share (here or via PM), I'm on the 7:59pm Delta direct flight from JFK to PDX on Friday, staying at the AC Downtown Portland, and then flying American back on Sunday morning through Phoenix.

For me, going will all depend on if I can get a hotel within walking distance from the stadium (30 minutes walking max, and not a shady or weird area of town). Preferably also being able to meet up with some forum members I trust as well on Saturday, through game time, though I'd have no way of coordinating that because of the sabbath, so it would have to be pre-coordinated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Waiting for third rail info on hotels versus getting my own hotel, if I do decide to go in the end.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

Also, I know some folks are probably a bit cautious about sharing travel plans, and that's completely cool with me and makes sense, but just in case anyone here has similar plans as me and wants to share (here or via PM), I'm on the 7:59pm Delta direct flight from JFK to PDX on Friday, staying at the AC Downtown Portland, and then flying American back on Sunday morning through Phoenix.
Same Hotel. Same return flights. But I'm on Jet Blue Friday night 7:45 PM from JFK.

There will be a dedicated place for pre-match/post-match for NYCFC travelling supporters. Details TBD. Given the 12 PM PT kickoff, it's going to be an early morning certainly and longgggg day/night if we win.

In terms of to/from airport, I'm taking a cab. A late night arrival and an early flight out, just want to be safe and get to the hotel/airport without any hassle. If people are on the same flights, you can take multiple stops in a single car and split the cost on Uber/Lyft.

Personally, I'm on the Delta Friday night to PDX and and the Delta Sunday morning to JFK. Currently booked at The Nines (which is the traveling team hotel, but NYCFC is not guaranteed to stay here)

EDIT: Staying at the Courtyard with the rest of the supporters. Rather not be the lone person in a hotel rooting for NYCFC.

I'm on that same flight out, staying at the Hyatt Centric Downtown and flying back Delta on Sunday morning (unless I can somehow squeeze into a redeye Saturday night).

For me, going will all depend on if I can get a hotel within walking distance from the stadium (30 minutes walking max, and not a shady or weird area of town). Preferably also being able to meet up with some forum members I trust as well on Saturday, through game time, though I'd have no way of coordinating that because of the sabbath, so it would have to be pre-coordinated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Waiting for third rail info on hotels versus getting my own hotel, if I do decide to go in the end.
There are a decent number of hotels between the stadium and the river within a 20-25 minute walk from the stadium. I would book one now to lock in a decent price, making sure you can cancel without a fee. Most probably let you cancel up to 24 or 48 hours before check-in time. If TR comes up with something better, switch.

There are a decent number of hotels between the stadium and the river within a 20-25 minute walk from the stadium. I would book on now to lock in a decent price, making sure you can cancel without a fee. Most probably let you cancel up to 24 or 48 hours before checkin time. If TR comes up with something better, switch.
I saw the one you/soup are in which looks close enough. I might just do that, and look for others nearby too

I've never been to Portland but I do have a few places on my Mapstr map. One is the The Original Dinerant, featuring donut sliders (!). Maybe half a mile from the stadium. Another is Mother's Bistro and Bar, recommended by Men in Blazers, in the same area. There's also Blue Star donuts, multiple locations all over Portland—one a couple of blocks from the stadium and one on the way there from the other spots—that's supposed to be really good. Lastly near the airport is Tonalli's Donuts & Cream.

Any time I see a place (of any kind) recommended somewhere I put it on my map. Got donut places all over the world for some reason LOL. But mostly burger joints. And if you want to know where the giant fork is in LA (well, in Pasadena) I've got it right on my map. For example.

The Third Rail email states the room block will be at a Marriott, which suggests either the AC or the Courtyard nearby. Both are about a mile away from the Park.

1638811516655.png

Sometimes you just gotta say "fuck it"!
Flight in thursday night 8:05pm out of jfk
AC Downtown like mark and soup,
AA flight through phoenix early sunday morning.

Win or lose, this is gonna be an experience I don't want to miss!

Portland is the team in MLS I respect the most, and I've always wanted to see providence park, so it's a no-brainer all things considered.

Last edited:
Awesome thread as I have been guilty of posting all over the other thread about travel.

My daughter and I are coming in on the Friday Delta evening flight, staying at a Marriott downtown, and back on the early Sunday morning Delta flight.

Given coming in so late on Friday and the early morning wake up for the game Sat with the early flight home on Sunday…going to be a long weekend with little sleep. Let’s do this.

Latest Venue Protocols

The Portland Timbers and Portland Thorns FC will require masks in all areas and proof of vaccination against COVID-19 upon entry to games at Providence Park beginning on Aug. 25, when Thorns FC host NJ/NY Gotham FC.

Watching video from the Portland-RSL game, I see a good number of people not wearing masks in the stands. Not a majority but maybe 30-40%. So maybe enforcement is low, at least in the stands. But I expect it's different getting in and in walkways, etc. And I also support being a good guest who follows local customs and rules.

Also, Providence Park security and other venues (hotels, restaurants, etc) in Portland won't be familiar with the NY State Excelsior Pass. It would be great if the NYCFC FO and/or TR could find a way to prepare them to take it, which will make getting in a lot easier for most of us. But bring your Vax Card and ID everywhere.

Dunno where else to put this, is there a way for new third rail members to buy the Hudson bourbon? Or is it all gone? Hate the new labels, but like most of their products.

Reactions: canchon
Latest Venue Protocols

The Portland Timbers and Portland Thorns FC will require masks in all areas and proof of vaccination against COVID-19 upon entry to games at Providence Park beginning on Aug. 25, when Thorns FC host NJ/NY Gotham FC.

Watching video from the Portland-RSL game, I see a good number of people not wearing masks in the stands. Not a majority but maybe 30-40%. So maybe enforcement is low, at least in the stands. But I expect it's different getting in and in walkways, etc. And I also support being a good guest who follows local customs and rules.

Also, Providence Park security and other venues (hotels, restaurants, etc) in Portland won't be familiar with the NY State Excelsior Pass. It would be great if the NYCFC FO and/or TR could find a way to prepare them to take it, which will make getting in a lot easier for most of us. But bring your Vax Card and ID everywhere.
Even though it’s the NY Excelsior pass, all of the state passes are similar. I’ve had no trouble using mine out of state.

Third rail:

Hotel Room Block

We have secured a hotel room block at the Courtyard Portland City Center (550 SW Oak Street, Portland, Oregon 97204 USA). Rates are $99+tax per night for King rooms and $109+tax for 2 Queens. These rates are good for both Friday and Saturday night.

I know many of you have already booked rooms elsewhere but I encourage you to cancel those so you can stay with your fellow supporters. We will need to enter the stadium around 10am so it will be great to march together from the hotel to Providence Park which is only a 15 minute walk away.

--------------
Anyone planning on switching to their hotel room block?

Third rail:

Hotel Room Block

We have secured a hotel room block at the Courtyard Portland City Center (550 SW Oak Street, Portland, Oregon 97204 USA). Rates are $99+tax per night for King rooms and $109+tax for 2 Queens. These rates are good for both Friday and Saturday night.

I know many of you have already booked rooms elsewhere but I encourage you to cancel those so you can stay with your fellow supporters. We will need to enter the stadium around 10am so it will be great to march together from the hotel to Providence Park which is only a 15 minute walk away.

--------------
Anyone planning on switching to their hotel room block?
I don't think I will. Mostly because it's then just one more thing I have to do.

• Haha
Reactions: Shwafta