2023 Leagues Cup

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY

For those of us not subscribed to the athletic, here's the MLS direct announcement:

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Super excited for this. It's going to be a great tournament!

first through third place gets CCL qualification :O

games hosted at MLS stadiums.... and i'm gonna guess NONE will be at YS. :(

Reactions: Victors87

The teams that finish top-15 in MLS will host Leagues Cup group stage. The Yankees are home the week of July 21 - 26, then are back home again July 31 - August 6. So no, we will not be at Yankee Stadium for the group stage.

The Mets are on the road July 21 - 26, so we might be able to squeeze a game in at Citi Field during that short road trip.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
I'm just happy that there will be games hosted in Mexico. It gives this more legitimacy then other Liga MX-MLS partnerships.

Edit: Nvm I thought I read a report that said there would. Defnitely dissapointed in this now.

Last edited:
I'm just happy that there will be games hosted in Mexico. It gives this more legitimacy then other Liga MX-MLS partnerships.

Edit: Nvm I thought I read a report that said there would. Defnitely dissapointed in this now.
The inaugural year reports say only US, but long-term there should be some Mexico games too.

Just curious, any one know why they don’t host any games in Mexico? Is it due to broadcasting technology?

CT it is. since there may need to host more than one game and potentially a knock out round.

Just curious, any one know why they don’t host any games in Mexico? Is it due to broadcasting technology?

$$$, ticket sales will be in MXN and not USD. exchange rate is not great for MXN so they earning less. the technology is fine. i mean MLS games dont have the greatest cameras either, just recall the eastern conference final last year and how bad it was and then ESPN themselves apologized for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCMore

will apple tv have the games in spanish too? i feel like Univision will want their cut too for them to hype the tournament and have content

Reactions: JCMore
Is it OK that I think this is both the best and worst ideas ever?

Reactions: Sabo
I am surprised they went with a short group stage followed by a 32-team knockout round. This will leave most of the teams with a long stretch of no action once they are eliminated.

I am surprised they went with a short group stage followed by a 32-team knockout round. This will leave most of the teams with a long stretch of no action once they are eliminated.
A whole lot of friendly matches?

$$$, ticket sales will be in MXN and not USD. exchange rate is not great for MXN so they earning less. the technology is fine. i mean MLS games dont have the greatest cameras either, just recall the eastern conference final last year and how bad it was and the ESPN themselves apologized for it.

this is exactly why they're all in the US. even the mexican national team plays their games in the US now. it's all about making that $$$

this is exactly why they're all in the US. even the mexican national team plays their games in the US now. it's all about making that $$$

sure, but in terms of "fairness", some games should be over there too (like CCL). Same with campeones cup. that should alternate year over year.

Reactions: Vallos and JCMore
sure, but in terms of "fairness", some games should be over there too (like CCL). Same with campeones cup. that should alternate year over year.

of course. i absolutely agree. but I think LigaMX has no problem with having all games in the US to make more money. They are slapping their domestic fans in the face. We'll see how it goes in 2024, but if they make a ton of money in ticket sales in 2023, it's doubtful it'll ever go to mexico for games.

and that sucks. prioritizing money over competition sucks.

Reactions: Vallos and JCMore
So based on the final rankings ( i know its Wikipedia) the group will be:

NYCFC
Atlas
DC/ NE Revs/ Toronto/ Charlotte? ( based on the whole dividing up the groups by region. I doubt queretaro and juarez would be considered part of the region).

2023 Leagues Cup - Wikipedia