2023 Leagues Cup

Well, it’s this week
crickets GIF

NYCFC and Toronto have combined for 21 ties in 48 games. Atlas is 1-1-1 in the current Apertura, but in the Clausura that ran in the first half of 2023 they had 9 ties in 17 games. That adds up to 31 ties in 68 games in 2023 for the 3 teams. The entire group stage is just 3 games. What happens if all 3 games end 1-1?

Sadly, my research indicates there are no ties in leagues cup, not even in the group stage. I was rooting for absurdism. I guess the people planning this realized the same possibility with 3 team, 3 game groups.
It could still happen, but there are extra factors and the odds are much lower. You get 3 points for a regular win, 2 for a shootout win, and 1 for a regulation draw/shootout loss. Running point totals:

A plays B 1-1, A wins shootout. A 2, B 1, C -
B plays C 1-1, B wins shootout. A 2, B 3, C 1
A plays C 1-1, C wins shootout. A 3, B 3, C 3

The symmetry is pure beauty.

I'm sure there is some contingency tiebreaker, but it won't be enough to look at points, or GD, or most regulation goals scored. I think it would be fair play. CONCACAF refs for the win!

It seems that games can start at game local time of 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, or 8:30 based on no pattern I can discern. For a while I thought it might be baed off the nominal home team (eg Cruz Azul is nominally home tonight even though the game is in Miami) but that doesn't explain all the variances either. I guess they're just trying to maximize for TV even though MLS makes it impossible to watch more than 2 games every week, and not even that is easy on the east coast.

Last edited:
It seems that games can start at game local time of 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, or 8:30 based on no pattern I can discern. For a while I thought it might be baed off the nominal home team (eg Cruz Azul is nominally home tonight even though the game is in Miami) but that doesn't explain all the variances either. I guess they're just trying to maximize for TV even though MLS makes it impossible to watch more than 2 games every week, and not even that is easy on the east coast.
At least they are spreading it out over 3 days, which is more than I can say for league games.

Reactions: mgarbowski
That was wild, Messi is magic.

both he and busquets changed the game when they came on. there was a huge threat going forward. just goes to show how much it opens up everyone when there is a threat in the attack. Cruz azul sent 2-3 players to defend messi and it left so much space for everyone else.

Reactions: snugglefarts
Josef looks revitalized. Perfect style to make the runs into space that Messi and Bouquets create.
Also just one line breaking pass after another.

and the players to find him.

just makes me jealous we don't have that kind of difference maker :/

Reactions: snugglefarts
Josef looks revitalized. Perfect style to make the runs into space that Messi and Bouquets create.
Also just one line breaking pass after another.
Yes, that 2H was really something. Exceeded even the really high expectations of everyone watching I think.

I don’t think I’ve posted here in over a year. A lot has changed down here in Ft. Lauderdale in the soccer world. Saw Taty went to Lazio.