2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Somewhere this week I read an analysis of NYCFC’s roster situation with graphics showing when current contracts run through, which have options etc. now I can’t find it. Anybody know where that was?
I’m also looking for the offseason roster calendar.

Reactions: Kjbert
Somewhere this week I read an analysis of NYCFC’s roster situation with graphics showing when current contracts run through, which have options etc. now I can’t find it. Anybody know where that was?
I’m also looking for the offseason roster calendar.
I don’t have the link bc I’m on mobile but the off-season calendar got announced recently. If you Google it, it is there

I don’t have the link bc I’m on mobile but the off-season calendar got announced recently. If you Google it, it is there
Thx. My mistake was trying to find it from within the MLS website. Much easier from an external search engine as you suggested.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
I don't think he knows one way or another.

ETA: I fear that Philly will see that he performed well for us and try and extract more from us than we are willing to give. The Union paid $750 in GAM for him a year ago. He makes $591K - just under the league max. How much is it worth to get a 22-YO with that talent on that salary?

Last edited:

Today New York City Football Club announced its roster options ahead of the 2024 season.
Five players have had their options exercised for 2024: Luis Barraza, Matt Freese, Andres Jasson, Kevin O’Toole, and Gabriel Segal.
The Club declined the options of seven players: Nico Benalcazar, Braian Cufré, Jonathan Jimenez, Alfredo Morales, Samuel Owusu, Matias Pellegrini, and Stephen Turnbull.
Assistant Coach Jose Kléberson will also depart the Club.

The following players are under contract for the 2024 season:
Goalkeepers (3): Luis Barraza, Matt Freese, Cody Mizell
Defenders (7): Drew Baiera, Tayvon Gray, Mitja Ilenič, Thiago Martins, Christian McFarlane, Kevin O’Toole, Birk Risa
Midfielders (8): Nicolas Acevedo, Maximo Carrizo, Justin Haak, Maxi Moralez, Keaton Parks, James Sands, Jonathan Shore, Santiago Rodriguez
Forwards (7): Thiago Andrade, Mounsef Bakrar, Julian Fernandez, Andres Jasson, Talles Magno, Alonso Martinez, Gabriel Segal

Alfredo ($662K), Cufre ($757K), and Pellegrini ($1.1M) were pretty massive cap hits for players that didn't contribute.

A $2.5M budget to replace almost no production will make the silly season interesting for us at least!

Sad to see Alfredo go, especially after he really stepped up his game in the 2021 playoffs and helped us get the Cup. Also weird considering I walked by him and his family food shopping last night. Didn't say anything as I wanted to respect him since he was with the whole family. It was funny after I told my wife who it was, she stated "ahh, so that's why that family was so rizzed out while food shopping."

Not exactly sad to see anyone else go, and the Cufre and Pellegrini contracts are good to get off the books, as DeGrozz DeGrozz already mentioned. Would've liked to see Benalcazar and Owusu since they were academy guys, but I assume they weren't good enough even in training. Best of luck to all of them, wherever they end up or in whatever they decide to do.

I'm honestly shocked with Alfredo move. It's a big cap hit so it makes sense, but I think he was a good player for us. I haven't watched a lot this season so was he underperforming a bunch or something?

Reactions: Schwallacus
cufre is the most surprising - but then again he was basically benched by Cushing towards the end. Alfredo also didn’t get a ton of playing time.

Pellegrini - thank you for your service and we’ve got $1M to play with, can’t wait!

Looking at the roster as it is today I can only hope there's a total change in team building philosophy or 2024 is going to be a bigger disaster than 2023. woof

It's an interesting group that appears to be departing.

Benalcazar and Owusu are homegrowns on the league minimum and hitting the salary cap at $0. Maybe this is just giving them a chance to get out and test the market for playing time and to grow their careers.

Turnbull and Jiminez similarly are reserve players at league minimum and hit the salary cap at $0. The Club is probably thinking they don't see these guys developing into reliable first team players, so they want to use these spots to try someone else, including potentially signing a good NYCFC II player to a contract with the first team.

Not entirely surprised by Morales, though it makes me a bit sad. He was a regular starter for us in 2021 and 2022, including all four of our playoff games in 2021. This season, he's been injured more and played less when he was available. He seems to be on the way down, so maybe they are done with him, or maybe they want to reduce his salary. He turns 34 early next year, which means he's not got a lot of time left, but it also means that one of the youngest teams in the league might be getting rid of its second oldest player. He's also one of our guys with a history with the USMNT, and I always hate seeing those guys go for sentimental reasons.

The surprise on Cufre is really more that he hasn't been playing. I think we all rated him, but Lee and Cushing don't for whatever reason. If he's not playing, he costs too much keep on the roster.

Pelligrini is not a surprise either. That's a shitload of money to pay him. Not clear to me how much of that was on our books, but perhaps this was the year we had to account for all of it.

No word on our loanees - Perea and Ledezma. I like Richie, although he regressed after a nice start. He's not expensive, so I am happy to keep him if we can do so without paying PSV (and RSL) too much money. Perea has been really good. Can we afford to pay what Philly might want? Perhaps letting Alfredo go is a sign that we intend to try.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
I wish we had a chance to see the homegrowns get more burn. Even though I'm sad to see Morales go, we got a lot of cap money available. There goes our last enforcer though.
Now that Cushing can build his own team now, will y'all give him another pass if we fail next season too?

Perea has been really good. Can we afford to pay what Philly might want? Perhaps letting Alfredo go is a sign that we intend to try.
I had the feeling Fredo was on the way out (it's that Logan's Run thing), but when I saw the tape job he needed on both ankles just to take the pitch in training I was certain of it. Healthy and a few years younger and I'm sure it would have been a different story. But the way things stand now, we definitely want Perea more.

Just gotta find a way to snag him.