5/17 - 5pm 1st Official Meeting

It was just as weird for me, being an ardent Liverpool supporter, walking into a City bar. But it was really, really awesome.
So why isn't it weird for you, as you put it, an ardent Liverpool supporter, supporting a club born out of MCFC? If Liverpool opened a club that played in my back yard there's no way I'd support it. Just seems like sporting taboo to me.

So why isn't it weird for you, as you put it, an ardent Liverpool supporter, supporting a club born out of MCFC? If Liverpool opened a club that played in my back yard there's no way I'd support it. Just seems like sporting taboo to me.
Neither would I, they'd ruin the grass and scare away all the birds.

I'm from Liverpool (a Liverpool fan) and moved to NY in '08. I'm back in Liverpool now until my Green Card arrives and I can move back to Brooklyn with my wife. I don't hate City like I hate Utd, Everton and Chelsea so that's a start. I'm on the fence though. If Man City were to push their branding and their image all over NYCFC then I would get rid of my season ticket in a shot. They don't seem to be though so long live that.

One thing I've been left wanting while living in NY is quality live football. I can't go to Anfield any more and I can't be arsed going out to Jersey to see a Red Bull club. Sure, NYCFC will generate revenue for MCFC but I'm sure it's like pouring a cup of water into a reservoir. The people of New York will make it their own. I don't care for City so I don't really give them a second thought. To me this is New York City Football Club and the money comes from a rich guy who owns a couple of other clubs.

I've seen you hating on Liverpool in a couple of other threads but really if we were behind NYCFC and there were City fans among our supporters I'd greet them with open arms not shun and ridicule them on the supporter forum.

We all root for different clubs when it comes to the epl. However, NYCFC should be the priority when we come together as one. We shouldn't be using the forum to create division amongst our ranks based on outside reasons. NYC is a melting pot of people from different cultures, places, backgrounds etc. who coexist together. We as fans of NYCFC should be a representation of that.

We all root for different clubs when it comes to the epl. However, NYCFC should be the priority when we come together as one. We shouldn't be using the forum to create division amongst our ranks based on outside reasons. NYC is a melting pot of people from different cultures, places, backgrounds etc. who coexist together. We as fans of NYCFC should be a representation of that.
Very nicely put. There are some awesome MCFC fans on this forum though. NYCFC_Dan springs to mind. It's only a minority creating division and pushing a MCFC agenda but they're vocal.

Yes. I could care less about MCFC and hope this club continues to operate as a New York City club and not as a branding extension of Manchester. I think being a part of the City Football empire will be a massive advantage for us in MLS as it gives us access to global scouting and development that no other MLS team has. So for now, I like the partnership as long as they don't try and shove Manchester down our throats. My hope however is that as the club and league grows, it eventually sells to a local independent (of Soccer) owner who will treat it as it's top priority.

I do think that the City name was perfect because it just fits so well with New York, and most casual fans won't even make the connection to Manchester. If this was New York United FC or Hotspur or something more obvious and less fitting, I think it would be tougher to think of this club as it's own and separate it from Euro allegiances.

Have any Yankee fans who supported Liverpool drop them when the Red Sox ownership took over the club? I know it's not the same since they have completely separate but it's similar enough.

Yes. I could care less about MCFC and hope this club continues to operate as a New York City club and not as a branding extension of Manchester. I think being a part of the City Football empire will be a massive advantage for us in MLS as it gives us access to global scouting and development that no other MLS team has. So for now, I like the partnership as long as they don't try and shove Manchester down our throats. My hope however is that as the club and league grows, it eventually sells to a local independent (of Soccer) owner who will treat it as it's top priority.

I do think that the City name was perfect because it just fits so well with New York, and most casual fans won't even make the connection to Manchester. If this was New York United FC or Hotspur or something more obvious and less fitting, I think it would be tougher to think of this club as it's own and separate it from Euro allegiances.

Have any Yankee fans who supported Liverpool drop them when the Red Sox ownership took over the club? I know it's not the same since they have completely separate but it's similar enough.
Yeah man I hope what happened to Chivas USA doesn't happen here.

So this meeting on 5/17 should be short? I want to go but my friends are dragging me to a Ring of honor (wrestling event) in the city the same night.

Neither would I, they'd ruin the grass and scare away all the birds.

I'm from Liverpool (a Liverpool fan) and moved to NY in '08. I'm back in Liverpool now until my Green Card arrives and I can move back to Brooklyn with my wife. I don't hate City like I hate Utd, Everton and Chelsea so that's a start. I'm on the fence though. If Man City were to push their branding and their image all over NYCFC then I would get rid of my season ticket in a shot. They don't seem to be though so long live that.

One thing I've been left wanting while living in NY is quality live football. I can't go to Anfield any more and I can't be arsed going out to Jersey to see a Red Bull club. Sure, NYCFC will generate revenue for MCFC but I'm sure it's like pouring a cup of water into a reservoir. The people of New York will make it their own. I don't care for City so I don't really give them a second thought. To me this is New York City Football Club and the money comes from a rich guy who owns a couple of other clubs.

I've seen you hating on Liverpool in a couple of other threads but really if we were behind NYCFC and there were City fans among our supporters I'd greet them with open arms not shun and ridicule them on the supporter forum.
Fair enough.

Reactions: Coop
I've never been to the mad hatter but if the consensus of the group is that it was the top bar from the crawl then lets all give it a shot. A side note have the powers that be spoken with the management of the mad hatter to ensure that our members of the cookie brigade will be allowed in to the bar. We had a couple of the youngsters turned away during the last meet and greet.

Hey, so I just got back from my offline session for the weekend. How I will put it is as follows: I grew up here, played a very high level as a kid, and always felt that the Metrostars/Red Bulls were over there. There really wasn't a professional team in New York and hasn't been. What I think people are missing is that. Regardless of the ownership group, they are willing to bring something, at a substantial cost to them might I add (up to $500 million is the number), to make something that was lacking for me as a child, a reality. I will always appreciate the City Football Group for that, and as long as they allow this club to be NYCFC, I have no issue with who the owner is. They are letting us create our own culture, our own brand, and that is something that is beyond appreciated by me. Liverpool, and for that matter, any club that is supported by anyone here that they weren't born into, is a culture that I adopted, NYCFC is a culture that I can help create, mold, and shape, as someone from New York. It's the first time ever since the demise of the NASL that this can happen, and in no way, shape, or form, does the culture or ethos of Man City need to resonate in the supporters of NYCFC. Just because the executive and some of the field product are, does not mean the culture of the club's supporters has to as well.

Didn't think I'd be able to make it but I got the date of a concert mixed up. I'll be in the city now anyway so I'll be hitting this meeting then going to Chromeo at Terminal 5. That's gonna be one funky evening. Looking forward to talking with people I met last week and new folk too.

Are Manchester City fans allowed to like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

Are Tottenham fans allowed to root for the Colorado Rapids?

How about Birmingham City fans liking the Cleveland Browns?

How about Yankee fans? Are they allowed to root for Liverpool?

It's really not that hard of a concept to figure out.

Are Manchester City fans allowed to like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

Are Tottenham fans allowed to root for the Colorado Rapids?

How about Birmingham City fans liking the Cleveland Browns?

How about Yankee fans? Are they allowed to root for Liverpool?

It's really not that hard of a concept to figure out.
1: different sports your comparing there
2:There are no connections between any of those clubs. There is a definite and undeniable connection between City & NYCFC. Not hard to understand when you look at it that way is it?

Just a question: What MLS teams did you all support before NYCFC was announced?

2:There are no connections between any of those clubs. There is a definite and undeniable connection between City & NYCFC. Not hard to understand when you look at it that way is it?

All of those American teams' ownership groups have stakes in the rival of every above mentioned team.

The Glazers (Man U) own the Bucs.
Stan Kroenke (Arsenal) owns the Rapids.
Randy Lerner (Aston Villa) owns the Browns.
Fenway Sports Group (Liverpool) own the Red Sox.

Reactions: einwindir
We will be conducting our first official meeting at Mad Hatter on May 17, at 5pm. Minutes will be taken. A formal itinerary will be posted here and on the FB group prior to then so you can come prepared with questions, insights, and the like.

The conducting of the meeting will be by a meeting facilitator to be named. Looking forward to seeing all of you there!

Are any of the staff from NYCFC invited (similar to FF on Thurs.) or is this a Supporters only meeting?