Alex Song Is On Sale From Barca

Midas Mulligan

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 29, 2014
NYC
8mm pounds reportedly. He would be pretty good at filling that other DP slot. He's only 26, and he would almost certainly not be risking losing his spot in Cameroon's NT by playing here.

Reactions: City-Nole
I feel as if too many big clubs are looking at him though. I've seen him come up in some EPL circles so I'm not so sure he would look to come to MLS

Reactions: kun
Fantastic player, would run the show in MLS alongside Lampard.

I can't see it though, there will be plenty of top European clubs queuing up for his signature IMO. Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundesliga etc. and I'd have thought they would be willing to match any wage package NYCFC would offer. Particularly teams like Man City and Chelsea who are struggling to match the homegrown rules.

Fantastic player, would run the show in MLS alongside Lampard.

I can't see it though, there will be plenty of top European clubs queuing up for his signature IMO. Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundesliga etc. and I'd have thought they would be willing to match any wage package NYCFC would offer. Particularly teams like Man City and Chelsea who are struggling to match the homegrown rules.
Oh yes, he will run the show. Is that like how Bayern got beat by MLS All Stars?

So are you claiming that since the MLS all stars beat Bayerns B team while our whole league was in mid season form, means that were a better league? Come on let's not get crazy here

So are you claiming that since the MLS all stars beat Bayerns B team while our whole league was in mid season form, means that were a better league? Come on let's not get crazy here
No, lol, I am not. But I love how every single above average player in Europe who might come to MLS will "run the show". Dempsey, Defoe, Becks, Bradley, Henry, Di Vio were all good in their time, but none have rolled MLS defenses yet. This year's fav game was a fully-powered Defoe/Bradley/Cesar-led Toronto FC who got clobbered by little ol' RSL.
:)

I think some posters are prone to qualifying everything with "MLS" like it's not professional football, or that's the way some regular posters are conditioned to read it given prior posts.

Would he likely be a standout player? I think so. But it certainly wouldn't look like he was playing against a lot of 15 year olds either.

In general, I think people exaggerate the difference among professional players. The average MLS player and the average EPL player are probably separated by 10% quality on the highest of the high end. Not arguing that the league is nearly as strong. I'm just making the point that it's not so cut and dry. Honduras held England scoreless, and Honduras's better players (only a few) really came up in MLS. Are they EPL starters? Hell no. But that's my point. The marginal difference among and across individual first division players is so small that it's a rounding error if you take away squad, training and overall team quality advantages.

Yeah, there are outliers, but I'm relying on common sense among folks to know that I don't think Suarez is only 10% better than Wondo. I'm just looking at it as a generalized evaluation.

Reactions: MagnusPax
Yeah Alex Song would be a big reach for us. He has a lot of options, it would have to be a situation where he'd want to turn down Europe for MLS.

I just think he's more in line with the demographic of player I'd like to see us (and the league, generally) sign. He's had a taste of a massive club. It didn't work out, we can pay you equal to anyone else and you can live in NYC.

I know it's not happening. I'm just trying to promote a culture change where supporters' will consider and eventually demand moves like this one could be.

Reactions: ajdimalanta
No, lol, I am not. But I love how every single above average player in Europe who might come to MLS will "run the show". Dempsey, Defoe, Becks, Bradley, Henry, Di Vio were all good in their time, but none have rolled MLS defenses yet. This year's fav game was a fully-powered Defoe/Bradley/Cesar-led Toronto FC who got clobbered by little ol' RSL.
:)

Bradley runs the show for Toronto, as Alonso does for the Sounders. Alex Song is better than both of these players and reaching his peak. I didn't mean he'd be the best player in the league, or that it would be easy for him, but he is a very good player who would also 'run the show' for sides in the PL and La Liga IMO.

Then, when you post about a player running the show, mention the club, such as NYCFC and don't say MLS. One is a club one is a league.

Reactions: kun